Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

CardDav Support on N9

Kris_A

CardDav Support on N9

As many of you might already know, N9 comes with CalDav support for calendar. It also comes with Activesync support. Therefore, most Windows users will have no problem syncing their contacts and calendar with the N9.

However, for Mac users, we do not have such convenience. If you use iCloud (formerly MobileMe), you can sync your iCal to iCloud and then set CalDav on your N9 to the server on iCloud. This solution is simple and elegant. 

On the othe hand, there is no simple way to sync contacts. The new iCloud, I noticed, supports CardDav. But I do not think N9 supports CardDav. Therefore we need other workarounds to sync N9.

Some of us may use google sync instead. That is, we sync Address Book to gmail. Then sync it back to N9 via activesync (exchange server). However, my experience with activesync from gmail is not a happy ending. For example, using exchange server sync on my N900, prefixes and suffixes on my contacts replace the contacts' first name and last name. I could have fiddle around and try to correct all errors but I think it is a hassle. Somehow information on vCard from my Mac was translated incorrectly in activesync. I found this solution inelegant. It may work for many people, but not for me.

As for those who do not need cloud solution, local sync is an answer. But the solution seems to work with Windows only. See here

On a Mac, iSync plugin for N9 is not available (and may not be). Again, at this age, mobile phone should be able to sync without being wired to a computer anymore. 

I could have just buy an iPhone, and all problems will go away. However, I am writing this because I think N9 is sexier and better than iPhone in many aspects. At the same time, I want N9 to integrate seemlessly with my Mac.

I strongly encourage Nokia to either include CardDav support in their next firmware upgrade or issue iSync plugin or both.

Anybody with me? or do you have other solutions? Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MjrPayne

Re: CardDav Support on N9

As Mac user, I've been trying to set iCloud calendar to N9 with CalDAV. When hitting "Sing In" screen just goes back to accounts without connecting. I've been trying different server names I found from Mac forum for iPhone. So can anyone provide right server address for N9 CalDAV sync?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MrHE

I totally agree. Nokia MUST come with a solution considering iSync and N9 NOW!!! Otherwise Nokia will be history for me. It was a HUGE disappointment when I discovered that my brand new N9 would´nt sync with my Mac.

Please use plain text.
Kris_A

I have heard that the server starts with p0X-caldav.icloud.com and the number(X) range from 1-6. Maybe your server number is different from that was post on Mac forum.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wilderwatz

I am gettin mad too. Bought the N9 three days ago and cant sync with Google calendar.

My Iphone4 does all that so easy, but the N9 struggles. (i use a mac book pro)

I put all whats required into the calDav account

username: oliver.sch........com

Password: ghghghgh

Server: www.google.com

When i then use the mac and select calendars to sync, those apear in the N9 !!!

But not the important calendar entries like meetings and so on.

Please help me out ! I dont want to throw the N9 agaianst the office wall !

Thank you all

Please use plain text.
shabunga

[ Edited ]

N9 over the air sync for mac users:

1st. install spanning sync (www.spanningsync.com) (couple of days free to use)

2nd create google account

3rd sync Ical & mac addresses through spanningsync with google

4th. go to: www.nuevasync.com (couple of days for free as well), connect to google

5th. enter nuevasync server credentials & google credentials into MAIL FOR EXCHANGE profile on N9

6th. off you go...

I bought one-year sync services from both, nuevasync and spanningsync. Works like mobileme. Not like icloud for free, of course, but works nicely. Make sure to backup your calendar & contacts data on your mac first to avoid data loss. This is so far the smoothest workaround i could find.

Important notice: since my main PIM on Mac is MS entourage 2008, I had to disable icloud calendar sync. Entourage and ical can only sync if ical has a local calendar. However, spanningsync should be able to sync with ical's copy of the icloud calendar, in case you are not using MS entourage.

Good thing with this solution: it doesn't cost you a cent for trying it out and getting it to work.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
randy_mc

I think its not the best way. At first your way is not free of charge. Now....how would I spell it?

I've got a server. I installed there DAViCal. Now I can use my own cloud service but for this I need CardDAV and CalDAV. Lastly CalDAV is already intregrated and I don't want to give 'my' personal data to a company outside my access area.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
smutje

Yes! CardDAV support would be great!

I really dislike to publish all my personal contact data to cloud services.

It would be awesome either to have a local sync mechanism or a service that is easy to run by yourself (e.g. syncml or carddav).

As I just received the N9, I just started looking into the offered frameworks. Maybe it easy to write an account provider that brings carddav?

best,

smutje 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Fuzzia

CardDAV-support would be nice, but I'd prefer SyncML, which is missing as well. Much for the same reason: I want to decide myself where to store my data. And that will NOT be on Google's or Facebook's servers.

SyncML is capable of syncing much more. Even my 4 year old N95 can sync contacts, agenda, todos, notes, sms and bookmarks over SyncML. By brand new N9 can't. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
randy_mc

I have set up my own CardDAV and CalDAV server. DAViCal works fine under Ubuntu 10.04 Server.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
randy_mc

I agree your opinion. But for the first time CardDAV would be sufficiently for me.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Just adding that there is a bug report already for this lodged at http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=128

Feel free to add votes.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Hoskins

Kris_A,

I'm in exactly the same boat - been using Google but half the time it doesn't sync.

Using Lion on the iMac and kept iSync from the previous version but there was no pint because the N9 not supported!

Anyway, how do you sync your N9 to iCloud? That would be a step in the right direction.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Advisor

To get the N9 syncing with iCloud's Calendar you just have to creat a CalDAV account that uses your AppleID username and password but in the server URL use https://caldav.icloud.com:443/

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Hoskins

Thanks for that - I'll give it a whirl

Please use plain text.