Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Custom ringtones on N9

teeli

Custom ringtones on N9

[ Edited ]

How do I set a custom mp3 file as a ringtone? When I select "my music" from the ringtone menu, it only shows the files that came with the phone, but none that I copied to the device.

Please use plain text.
Sage
jamesvini

Re: Custom ringtones on N9

How did you load the mp3 in to your N9?
Mass storage?
or
nokia link?
I put a song from my pc on the phone using nokia link. then i went
settings - sounds and vibration - ringtone - select from my music.
It was there but some of the small noises i put in the mass memory were not listed.
"Freedom is the only way, yeah!"
Please use plain text.
teeli

I used mass storage mode. Just copied the mp3 file on the Music directory on the phone.

Please use plain text.
Sage
jamesvini

Try Installing Nokia Link:
http://www.nokia.com.au/support/product-support/nokialink/compatibility-and-download

Then use the sync option and just choose the folder with the Mp3 in it.
"Freedom is the only way, yeah!"
Please use plain text.
teeli

I tried that as well. Didn't work. However now I can see it in the list, so there's just some delay after copying the file and after the list media library is refreshed...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
trinnemaa

Well All people in here it takes some time before the Random mp3 files you upload to phone to actually display in the ring-tones list. I think if you play with your music player those random mp3 like funny noise files for sms etc. Eventually they will be in top of the list in the Ring-tone selection. I had this problem I put 4 files that have no song info just the file name that I could not find them. But after day those finally did come in the ring-tone lists. :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

did you refresh the music player before trying to use the tone?

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jtcrichton

Having this problem as well, how do we trigger the list update?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lordjani

Ok, where can i find downloaded ringtones ? I found the originals with filemanager but i can't find the ones i downloaded. I want to remove them. Is there no proper search tool in the phone ?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

It's a bit of a work arround, but I've managed to suss how to install and set all my custom ringtones and notifications on my N9 , I'm sure someone will find an easier way, but this works and isn't hard to do :smileywink:

Whilst in settings>Sounds and vibrations>you select the tone you want to change, then scroll to the top, and chose Select from My music and that's it ! 

However, you do of course, have to have the tones on the phone, I have all mine saved on my PC anyway, but many can be found on the web, I use the Tehkseven website to get mine ( http://www.tehkseven.net/ringtone/nokia-ringtones.html ) , but any mp3 you want to use should work, simply down load to PC and make sure they have a title you can remember or change there name to something you can remember.

Once you have all the tones you want, connect the N9 to the PC in Use as mass storage, so you can view files and folders and one of the folders will be Music (create one if it's not there, it's a good place to drag and drop all your music !!) open the folder and create a new one entitled 'Tones' and drag and drop the mp3's you want to use into it !

Now it appears the N9 offers you the tracks you listen to most often as ringtones so here is the awkward bit, Safely disconnect the phone from the PC , go to music in your application menu and select albums, there will be one called Unknown, select it ,chose the first tone, and let the full 'album' play at least 5 times, I tried once and non of the tones were available to me, so I had to make them show up in the list by playing them a few times, as a rintone should only be a few seconds, this doesn't take too long, but is a bit of a pain. 

Now once you can go into your settings and use search to find the tones you want for Ringtone, Mail, Calendar etc set them all up and exit. I then rebooted the phone , but don't know if this is essential or not. 

Now the bit that keeps your N9 and Music neat and tidy :smileywink: Connect the N9 to your PC again, go to your Music folder, open it,scroll to 'Tones' and right click, select Properties, and change to hidden and chose all files. Disconnect safely again, re-boot (Turn on and off) for a second time and let the phone start again, go to your music in the applications page, select Albums and the 'Unknown Album' has dissapeared, but all your tones are still working fine :smileyvery-happy: 

I know it's a bit of effort, but I really like my own alert tones and also a neat and tidy music player and this DOES work, hope it helps, and if it does, someone please mark it as a solution so others can find it !!

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

great stuff there pal...

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Thanks, just starting to get my head arround the N9 :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Hmm, Have I missed something or?

I can select whatever ringtone I want by going to "my music" and just search for it. No issues...
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Just been discussing it and heard the same thing, but I couldn't, plus I didn't want to use a music track, wanted to use custom tones/sounds and didn't want them to appear in the music player ! So that's why I did what I did :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Clever! Kudos for that.

I have always use music tracks for ringtones and on board for other notifications. Guess that's why I have not encountered this issue.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

this is the tone I use on my calendar for reminders, because an Elephant never forgets :smileywink:
http://www.tehkseven.net/ringtone/24555/elephant-sms-mp3-ringtone.html

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Strangely, a mono MP3 I used on my Nokia 7710 would not work on my N9. It seemed to dislike mono MP3 files, I re-converted it to stereo MP3 and it appeared straight away when searching.. bit odd
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

I Had same issues and could not find the same tones I have been using since 9500.

I Could not find the files. So I place them in the /home/user/.ring-tones folder and it was instantaneous.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
N9inuse

Also, you can just click on the options icon in music player when you play the song you want to use as ringtone.

Please use plain text.

Thanks! That was the only way i managed to set a custom ringtone.

I waited like 10minutes, rebooted, nothing helped, it did not appear on ringtones list.

Please use plain text.