Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Delete "Read Only" File?

Professor
Mick_H1

Delete "Read Only" File?

Is it possible to delete a read only file? I haven't found a way through the 'normal' channels, i.e File Manager, or GPE File Manager.

It's only a .pdf invoice from my ISP that I downloaded via email that's residing in N900/Documents/

Thankees :smileyhappy:

Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

Re: Delete "Read Only" File?

hold your finger/pointer on the file for a few seconds then a menu will appear with a delete option

©2012 DJ Matt

Professor
Mick_H1

Thanks for the reply, but as it's a read only file that doesn't happen. If I got one on the N95 I just fired up Y-Browser and changed the attributes. But there's no Y-Browser for the 900.

There's probably a way to do it via X Terminal, like there is via the command prompt in Windows. Not sure what the commands are though.

Mobile Guru

how lame.. i would expect the file manager to work

you can use

chmod +w filename

in an xterm to add write permissions..

Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

seems odd, i can delete pdf's that way and aren't all pdf's read only?

©2012 DJ Matt

Mobile Guru

Wrong type of read-only.. and no.. some PDFs can be altered if they contain a form to fill in, for example!

What's rediculous is that deleting a file is not the same as writing to it un Unix..

If you remove a file, where are you removing it from? you're removing it from a folder/directory.. so, you need write access to the folder, not the file!! I don't understand why it doesn't allow you override this, the permission can be altered using regular chmod.. but it could be overridden by the filemanager..

Counsellor

hi, this happened to me with a corrupt mp3 file, the only way I was able to delete is was through my computer with N900 in mass storage mode.
Professor
Mick_H1

Sorted it via Justin_02's method in the end.

The chmod +w filename command kept returning a "File or folder does not exist error". So maybe I needed to work through to that directory and file first.

All donedid now anyway, thanks all.

Mobile Guru

Sorry for the brief instruction.. was between offices using phone to post!!

you need to find the filename in question, which can be tricky on the command line..

for example, a file in Documents directory called test.txt would be

chmod +w MyDocs/.documents/test.txt

Not wonderfully intuitive..

Alternatively, you can do a general attack using a recursive set

chmod -R +w MyDocs/.documents

chmod -R +w MyDocs/.images

would set all files in the Documents and Images folder

Professor
Mick_H1

Thanks for the info.

I'll make a note of all that.

Might be worth hunting down a bit more info to get the gist of this Terminal a bit more.

Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

i see what you mean about the limited options now cos i had the same problem with a rom i downloaded but in that case there is a loophole where you can delete the folder and inturn it delets the rom file contained in it. you need to maybe have a pdf folder ready to use then if you can't delete one just delete the folder, its a bit tedious cos you have to recreate the folder everytime you have this problem but you can do it on the go

©2012 DJ Matt

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
emilygreen