Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Discussion: How to setting VPN configuration to No...

Registered Member
NasNS1

Discussion: How to setting VPN configuration to Nokia N9?

how to setting Virtual Private Network VPN to Nokia N9 , any idea Discuss ?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MaKenZi

Re: Discussion: How to setting VPN configuration to Nokia N9?

hi

I have the same question , but after 15 days , there is no answer , so I think will not be any answer in oncoming days!!!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

Re: Discussion: How to setting VPN configuration to Nokia N9?/ and Lotus Notes

I have the same question and anyone knows how to configure Lotus Notes for Nokia N9? Does it support or will support Lotus Notes of IBM?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Here is a good tutorial how to setup the VPN.

I'm not aware if external links are allowed but here you go. http://www.hideipvpn.com/2010/02/howto-nokia-n900-os-maemo-openvpn-setup-tutorial/

P.S. Go through the comments if you face problems...

Br,

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
kingblue

No problem with links to external websites, as long as they're in English, and helping the person you're replying to.

Please use plain text.
t0lkien

[ Edited ]

That link is useless and actually confusing. The topic concerns the N9, not the N900, which that link and that VPN software is concerned with. The N9 requires Harmattan clients, not Maego 5. This whole VPN issue is frustrating enough without misinformation. Just saying...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

t0lkien wrote:

That link is useless and actually confusing. The topic concerns the N9, not the N900, which that link and that VPN software is concerned with. The N9 requires Harmattan clients, not Maego 5. This whole VPN issue is frustrating enough without misinformation. Just saying...

Hi t0lkien, I don't think link is useless, it works on N9, you just need to investigate more before claiming such.

1. Install Openvpn as described in this thread on page
2. Replace the existing Openvpn package with the openvpn_2.1.3-3harmattan1_armel_aegis.deb.

"dpkg -i openvpn_2.1.3-3harmattan1_armel_aegis.deb" should be enough for N9

Ropsitory for harmattan

http://repo.pub.meego.com/home:/elleo/Harmattan/

Please use plain text.
t0lkien

[ Edited ]

venturi wrote:

t0lkien wrote:

Hi t0lkien, I don't think link is useless, it works on N9, you just need to investigate more before claiming such.

1. Install Openvpn as described in this thread on page
2. Replace the existing Openvpn package with the openvpn_2.1.3-3harmattan1_armel_aegis.deb.

"dpkg -i openvpn_2.1.3-3harmattan1_armel_aegis.deb" should be enough for N9

Ropsitory for harmattan

http://repo.pub.meego.com/home:/elleo/Harmattan/

The reason for my reply is that I *did* try it. Have you? No offense because I appreciate the attempts to help, but saying it works when it doesn't confuses the issue more. You cannot install VPN that way on an N9 (running PR 1.2). The install from the web link throws an error - the phone doesn't recognize the file type:

Couldn't download that file. Type application/x-install-instructions not supported.

The GUI link also does not relate to the N9. Same thing occurs. There *is* a way to get VPN working on the N9, but it involves command line shenanigans via Xterm, root access, manual setting of various .conf files, and is extremely complex and convoluted, and despite being an IT professional I'm tired of trying to get it to work.

My big question is: does Nokia plan on releasing an official VPN app with an update, or is anyone else working on one? It's sorely needed.

P.S. Note that getting VPN running on the iPhone and Android is trivial. All the N9 needs is a proper application, or even better, baked in firmware support.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
qaisabrar

Meego is a great platform and N9 is a great phone.
Nokia have moved to WP and they have stopped supporting Meego. So apps and update(after PR 1.2) might come at some point of time.

So any developers/experts who is aware of enabling the VPN please help us with a proper tutorial. it will be helpfull.

Things i miss on Nokia N9 are
1) Video Calling(why a front camera then)
2) VPN/Open Vpn
3) Proper Fm Receiver App
4) FM transmitter
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
arifsuri

What should we do with n9 without VPN support , frustrating
Please use plain text.
gergie

I agree, it would be great to have a VPN client for N9. 

The client worked great on the N900, surely not a big deal porting it to MeeGo.

Any developers here who are up to the task :smileywink:?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
arifsuri

What waste of resources :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

Keep an eye on this thread about openvpn based vpn client development for N9
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4226&page=5
Please use plain text.
allan_mancera

Hello everybody.

It's really frustrating the lack of support by Nokia for the N9 which is the greatest device Nokia has came up with. About the VPN, I found a really good tutorial on getting this thing working, I haven't have the chance to test it, right now I've been busy trying to revive an E7 but I hope I can give you some feedback on this.

the link:
https://12vpn.com/setup/harmattan/

seems like a possible way to set this up and its for N9

keep me posted

best regards

Allan Mancera

Please use plain text.
Sage
Suyogmh

@Allan Many Thanks , I read about this meegoexperts.com also. But tried today with my witopia vpn connection and it worked in first try. 

wohooooooooooooo :smileyhappy:

Just follow instructions for 12VPN and use your witopia certificates, config files.

If anyone needs any help please let me know.

Best Regards,
Suyog
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Just tried the 12vpn but did not succeed installing openvpn as described there (add Elleo’s repository and use that to install OpenVPN and all its dependencies). When downloading the repo it finishes always indicating that some packets could not be downloaded. 

As I couldn't find either how to install "wget" I downloaded Jare's openvpn version to my PC and passed it to my N9 without any problem but couldn't do the second step (-installing) - probably because of the lack of the installation of Elleo's "basic"OpenVPN.

Maybe there were any changes after PR 1.2 in february that makes the described way faulty?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I would like to add some more detailed information:

The exact wording of the message is

could not download "http://sheerwater.co.nz/apt/dists/harmattan/main/binary-armel/Packages.gz

404 not found.

In fact the webpage "sheerwater.co.nz" seems to be down and cannot be opened.

Does anybody have any idea how this problem could be solved or overcome on another way?? I do urgently need vpn on my N9

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Result of my latest try:

~/bin/sh: can't create /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elleo.list: Permission denied.

Don't know what to do - please help!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Anybody here who managed to install OpenVPN Client on his N9 as described in tutorial on "12vpn" pagein the last two weeks?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Suyogmh

What error you are getting? and which vpn service you are trying to configure?
Best Regards,
Suyog
Please use plain text.