Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Firefox 13.0 Nokia N9

Counsellor
kev187

Firefox 13.0 Nokia N9

[ Edited ]

I keep trying to download firefox 13.0 from Ovi and I get repeated "download failed errors"

First I tried the software update with errors, so I deleted Firefox 12.0 from my N9 and tried a new download from OVI, still over and over "download error"  I went to bed, tried again.  I turned on developer mode just to try, but still "download error with the package"

Anyone out there able to download this software, I use it as my main browser and upset I deleted 12.0

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rasarchie

If you have a fils manager installed go to /var/apt/archives/partial there you will find 1.3 press on it and install
Please use plain text.
Advisor
smcsa

Or in /var/cache/apt/archives/partial where the file is fennec_13.0_armel.fennec.FAILED
Please use plain text.
Sage
krishgetz

I tried installing from the path above. The installation still fails for me.

There is one more update which keeps failing for me - FootballApp.

Any solutions?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
smcsa

[ Edited ]

Same problem here. I uninstall 12.0, reboot and installing 13.0 succesfully

Please use plain text.
Theo_DK

I had the same problem; could not install Firefox v. 13.

Then, first I removed v. 12 and through files manager program ‘Filebox’ (free software) I was able to install the new Firefox from the path: /var/cache/apt/archives were the file name is fennec_13.0_armel.fennec.FAILED (as mentioned by others earlier). When I tried to do the same installation with the football app 1.1.0 ‘Filebox’ informed that the file was damaged. Remember that maybe a reboot of the phone is required after removing the old Firefox, I am not quite sure but worth a try.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

i had some many issues with this as well.

it finally installed. i think it had to do with the version number and an additional lib file that was not downloading correctly. it was made obvious by the file name showing the 13, but the installation was still showing 12, and then finally would just crash.

here is what i did...you will need to be sure that you enable developer mode on your device if you have not done so (settings/security/developer mode/toggle on) [this will not hurt your device if you have not done so before. just be sure to follow my directions]

first, i tried to install from ovi store...it errored over and over, though it did show the download in the /var/cache/apt/archives/partial folder.

second, i tried to close ovi store and use filebox to go to: /var/cace/apt/archives/partial and tap the file to install. it would begin to install, but eventually would error out and just go back to the filebox.

third, i deleted firefox 12 by tapping and holding on the icon, then tapping the red "x" after that, i rebooted and tried to open filebox to /var/cache/apt/archives/partial and tap the file again, only to have another error.

fourth, and this worked:

open terminal and used these commands:
devel-su
rootme
apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean
apt-get update
apt-get install -f
apt-get autoremove

you may see some errors, or files missing. ignore this. be sure to type "y" after it requests for the autoremove. this is going to uninstall some resident files that firefox 12 left behind that seem to be creating the issue in conflict.

after it is complete. close terminal.

open filebox
var/cache/apt/archives/partial/
tap on the fennec_13 and it should start to install. you may see some errors that say something like cannot becuase another install.... just tap ok.

it should complete, and now you should have firefox 13.

you can check by launching firefox, swyping left, tapping the settings icon, about firefox "go to page" and at the bottom, it should say fennec/13.0

for the life of me, firefox has seemed to always have issues for me when updating, even on maemo. I hope they fix it.

hope this helps some of you.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

So far I think the easiest method is to download firefox 13 from Nokia store on computer by visiting store.ovi.com/content/262564/download in web browser then copy paste that firefox 13 .deb file into N9 and then install it using file manager apps like Filebox etc on N9
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star button would be considered as thanks.....Current phone Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

donofworld wrote:
So far I think the easiest method is to download firefox 13 from Nokia store on computer by visiting store.ovi.com/content/262564/download in web browser then copy paste that firefox 13 .deb file into N9 and then install it using file manager apps like Filebox etc on N9

:smileywink:

kudos for your simplicity m8!  lol.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

LOL I've been posting that all day on Twitter, for anyone who wants the deb it's here 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24783636/fennec_13_443205.0_armel.deb

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bazzoon

I used all methods described above and elsewhere and the package won't install. Now firefox is withdrawn from ovi-store. At lease bring version 12 back since it was uninstalled as per instructions.

Reverting to Opera which does not render as intended by some sites.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

Try uninstalling your current firefox version then reboot your N9 and use my above post to install latest firefox 13....hope it works for you!
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star button would be considered as thanks.....Current phone Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Sage
krishgetz

Unistalled the existing Firefox and then reinstalled from archive folder.. But now Firefox is showing 13.0 update as available in the software updates section. Weird ....

But then I dont use Firefox much, only on sites which have flash in them. So its liveable. 

Same issue happening with Moltome app as well. Today I downloaded a few more apps and all went fine. So I think its more of app problem.

Please use plain text.