Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

GPS without any data connection (N9)

pzico
Accepted Solution

GPS without any data connection (N9)

Hi,

I'm curious about how well does GPS work on N9 without any data connection. I've heard two different theories, one saying that I don't need a connection and other that even if I turn off assistive-GPS, the phone still has to connect Nokia servers to check what GPS satellites are available to it. After it has done that, it doesn't need connection anymore, but it still has to locate satellites, meaning that you need to be outside in open space and wait from couple of minutes to half an hour for initial location check.

Is this correct? My criteria for phone is that I can just download all the necessary maps on my phone and then visit what ever country I want and use GPS without having any data connection. Is this possible?

I'm having some trouble finding clear information how mobile GPS really works in contrast to car GPS devices, so any information is welcome. And if I find something, usually the answer is just given as for license and operator specific reasons (=other parties making money) it's not possible to expect mobile phone GPS to work even near as well as car GPS.

-zico

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: GPS without any data connection (N9)

[ Edited ]

pzico wrote:

My criteria for phone is that I can just download all the necessary maps on my phone and then visit what ever country I want and use GPS without having any data connection. Is this possible?

Yes it is although relying totally upon Internal GPS with compromise in GPS antenna size/position within N9 may be frustrating without utilising Assisted GPS via network conection.

In the enclosed screenshot "Device positioning" has to be enabled to allow GPS to function even though I am using external Bluetooth GPS receiver and as there is NO SIM in device it can't utilise Network but could access WLAN if nearby.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5