Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: HELP TO UPDATE MAEMO 5.

Advisor
jappy1hit

HELP TO UPDATE MAEMO 5.

hi guys, i know that you could help me in my concerns: (using n900 unit)

i was updating my applications and 1 item there is maemo 5. When i was updating the phone, there was a notice that i should back up the phone first and i did. However, i can't still update the applications especially maemo 5 because it keeps on telling me that i should back up the phone even i already did that.

Can you guide me on how to update my applications especially memo 5. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

i answered your pm.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fox348

hi there

i had the same problem it just gave me option for create backup till i checked the problem section on screen while trying to update it said it conflicted with two programs health check and brain party. once i uninstalled these i was able to load meamo 5 pr1.3 no problem

hope this helps

regards

fox

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

you can do the upgrade in 1 of 3 different ways.

1.  open appmanager and update then install.  while installing, if you have already done the backup, just skip the back up and continue and it will continue installing the new upgrade.  this will not delete any data on the device and all applications should be fine and still working.

2.  if you already have rootsh installed, you can:

open xterm

sudo gainroot

apt-get upgrade

y, enter

you will see about 1060 apps that need to be upgraded, this is the upgrade.  this way will not delete any of your data.

3.  you can download and install the firmware using the information i posted in the top 12 thread for flashing and install a fresh copy via the flasher-3.5 software on you pc.  this will completely reinstall the os, so be sure that you have created a backup.  it will not wipe/erase the data on your device that is stored on it, but will wipe all the applications that were installed, which should reinstall with no problem with your restore of the back up.

if you have angry birds installed and wish to keep your scores and data, then find my post on saving the ovi store apps and angry birds scores and follow those directions  BEFORE you do the flasher!

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jappy1hit

guys, this is what's happening on option 1:

- on the application manager, when updating maemo 5, there will be (details and continue icons)

- after pressing the continue icon, it will show (create backup icon ONLY)

- I have no options of skip or just to continue the installation.

- it will just go back to the application manager and start all over again. Thanks

ceroberts75 wrote:

you can do the upgrade in 1 of 3 different ways.

1.  open appmanager and update then install.  while installing, if you have already done the backup, just skip the back up and continue and it will continue installing the new upgrade.  this will not delete any data on the device and all applications should be fine and still working.

2.  if you already have rootsh installed, you can:

open xterm

sudo gainroot

apt-get upgrade

y, enter

you will see about 1060 apps that need to be upgraded, this is the upgrade.  this way will not delete any of your data.

3.  you can download and install the firmware using the information i posted in the top 12 thread for flashing and install a fresh copy via the flasher-3.5 software on you pc.  this will completely reinstall the os, so be sure that you have created a backup.  it will not wipe/erase the data on your device that is stored on it, but will wipe all the applications that were installed, which should reinstall with no problem with your restore of the back up.

if you have angry birds installed and wish to keep your scores and data, then find my post on saving the ovi store apps and angry birds scores and follow those directions  BEFORE you do the flasher!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jappy1hit

hi! still can't update maemo 5:

here's what's happening:

- at the application manager, i'll click maemo 5 to update. then there will be icons (details and continue)

- when i press continue another and only icon will show, create backup. if i didn't choose to back up it will just go back to the application manager showing maemo 5 update.

- even after i pressed the backup button, after backing up, it will just go back where it started. so it still didn't update the maemo 5.

hope you could help me with this. Thanks!

**if possible, maybe you can teach me step by step i'm kinda not that technical person. Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jappy1hit

ALSO: on the update menu on maemo 5, slicking on the application details of maemo 5 there's an icon (Problems) and it states that "Unable to update maemo 5"
Conflict with application packages: libgles1-sgx-img (0.20091104.34+0m5)

what does this mean? thanks!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

how about updating from your pc ?

start by creating a backup from the backup app on your n900, and than copy the backup to the computer, than use nokia pc suite or ovi suite to crat another backup on the computer, than download nokia software updater from here install it, it will ask you to restart your pc do it.

now connect your n900 to the pc using pc suite mode and launch the nokia software updater, and it will check for updates and update your phone.

Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.