Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

How to change my DNS

Registered Member
m0urya

How to change my DNS

i installed rootsh

i typed CAT /etc/resolve.conf

(a basic unix command to open and read a file.)

found that my dns is 127.0.0.1 in N900

i want to change it as  123.176.xx.xx (for enabling wifi adhoc)

Can any one tell me how to remove 127.0.0.1 and replace it with my dns.

any commands ??

Mobile Guru

Re: How to change my DNS

No no no! Don't go editing /etc/resolv.conf

Maemo uses a DNS proxy/cache system that is available via 127.0.0.1

This device is designed to use multiple DNS servers depending on which connection is active.. changing /etc/resolv.conf will have knock on effects and will make your phone sad.. don't do it!

Why are you using a DNS sever in the 123.172 range? that's a public block..?

When you've set up your adhoc connection (inside settings -> Internet connections) open the settings, press next a few times until you see the advanced button.. then you can choose DNS IP addresses for the adhoc connection..

Use the GUI to change the DNS server settings..

( you can also look at /var/run/resolv.conf.wlan0 then restarting/HUPing dnsmasq)

mourya123

oh my god. i have changeit to what i wanted.

I have changed it back to 127.0.0.1

and saved it backkkkk

is it fine :smileysad: or is my fone useless?

Mobile Guru

no, your phone should be fine!! but don't edit resolv.conf else things all go bad! :smileyhappy:

Have you found the settings for changing DNS on your phone? Its under "IP Addresses" I think.. there's a tab with 'proxies' 'ip addresses' and 'advanced' I think..

This is all very vague as I don't have my phone with me right now.. :-o
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

youre right cp.  when you are setting up the connection, there is an advanced button that pops up the tabs for setting up the ip's.

good memory m8.

:smileywink:

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Mobile Guru

I had a whole lot of fun and games with the N900 and DNS.. I found that retarded DHCP servers advertised DNS servers with IP addresses of 0.0.0.0 (which is clearly stupid).. what's more stupid is that Maemo actually ADDED that DNS server address.. and then it seemed nothing was available because 0.0.0.0 actually loops back to itself..

So.. dnsmasq actually acts like a DNS server.. and in that case it was asking itself.. which just confused the hell out of it..

I don't think that bug has been fixed 100% yet

Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

and the congregation said in unison

AMEN!

:smileywink:

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
mourya123

thanks all for the replies...phone is working fine :smileyvery-happy: