Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: I Would Like To Dual Boot With Nitroid

Counsellor

I Would Like To Dual Boot With Nitroid

[ Edited ]

OK have got my phone where I want it - have installed all the speed enhancers after updating to PR 1.3 and am overclocking at 1150Ghz.  It fairly zips along now :smileyhappy:

I have read how to install using the Auto Installer but am a little confused.  Could someone answer these questions please: -

1.  Will using the Auto Installer itself, allow you to dual boot automatically or must you install a spearate dual boot prog of some sort first?

2.  If the Auto Installer does allow dual boot with your existing Maemo 5 OS, will it automatically place it on the separate SD Card? (mine is a 16Gb one).  I also assume it will completely reformat the SD Card, is that correct?  I am reluctant to proceed if it wipes the existing OS first etc.

3.  I am confused with the options for Overclocking.  I understand you can continue to Overclock Maemo 5 but can you Overclock Nitroid, once installed?  If sow how?

4.  I gather that overclocking defaults back to 650 either on reboot or on receiving an incoming call - is that correct or has it been fixed?  And do these limitations apply when in Nitroid?

I would appreciate someone who has successfully ported this OS to their N900 and is dual-booting, to explain the current procedures and answer my questions - pointing me to the relevant resources as appropriate.  Any tips too would be appreciated, given we now have PR 1.3.

Thanks in anticipation of your help and advices

Paul

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Anybody - please?

Paul
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
micky58

it may possible. But i'm not 100% sure about that. so google it. you can fine several topics in this regard.

If you found my post useful hit the White Star. :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mick_H1

A visit to: talk.maemo.org and a quick search should bare lots of fruit. But I believe you need to install a boot-menu utility to dual boot.

Please use plain text.
Professor
montana_uk

I had it installed before I had to reflash my device 2 days ago.  It does install the Multi-Boot itself, and you need to have the keyboard open to start that facility.

Info can be found here:NitDroid

Installation instructions can be found here: Nitdroid Installation

If tnis post is a cure to your issue, please MARK IT AS SOLUTION.

If this post has helped anyone in any way, PLEASE SHARE YOUR KUDOS, by clicking on the GREEN STAR.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for your advices - most helpful.  Have looked at the current situation and it seems there is an update in the pipeline to fix some bugs post PR 1.3.  I will hold off for now as my N900 is smokin' right now :smileyhappy:  and I don't want to ruin what I have for the sake of tinkering, even though it is a lot of fun!!

At present I am getting kernel updates following my successful ocerclocking recently and getting a penguin upon reboot, which it does sucessfully btw..  Not sure what these are about, presumably because since PR 1.3, the kernel I downloaded and installed to OC has become out of date?

Paul

Please use plain text.
Sage

Leave your phone where it has a wifi connection, the open the terminal, gain root and run

apt-get install nitdroid-installer

and enter.

wait for it to install.

then run

nitdroid-installer

and enter. Make sure you have an sd card installed first.

the auto installer will automatically partition and format the sd card.

it will also setup the dual boot, whci you can enable by powering up your phone with the keyboard open.

It will not affect your Maemo OS at all. It will not affect your overclocking at all. It will not affect your phones onboard data inany way. Using the autoinstaller is the easiest and safest way to install Nitdroid, and makes it very noob friendly.

Try have at least a class 6 sd card, as your Nitdroid experience will be nicer because it will be faster.

Overcllockinh Nitdroid is more intricate. You need to boot into Maemo.

Then mount the android partition like so:

mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /and

then edit the power.conf file with vi or nano.

if you succeed with the Nitdroid install and need help with the overclocking, let me know.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for that Simon - much appreciated.

I will heed your advice and get myself a quicker Micro SDHC Card.  My current one is a San Disk 16Gb - it works quite well but it is only a class 2 card.  I have bought a rather cheap card from the bay: -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120641122912

This is a lass 6 16Gb card but god knows the make :smileysad:  If it doesn't work, I may have to buy a more expensive one - we'll see.

I will upgrade this thread later this week once I know and have tried to install Nitroid.

Who knows they may have released version 0.0.9 by then with the ability to make and receive calls!

Paul

Please use plain text.
Sage

No worries.

v9 hasn't been released yet (officially) so I would wait a bit.

Go ahead with v8 though, to practice :smileyhappy:

I'm using Nitdroid on a class 4 and while it's ok, I reckon on a class 6 it would be pretty **bleep**.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Apparently we can't say se xy....lol.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi Simon and all

Eventually got my new SDHC card and have eventually got Nitroid to install :smileyhappy:

However not without much anguish - I got the "usual" format hanging message at (ext3) and tried to use the work a round which failed miserably but some kind fellow uploaded a revised Nitroid-installer to get around this problem and this worked like a charm - however god knows what version of Nitdroid I have installed - presumably the latest?

Next problem was getting out of the startup screen - the 4-corner trick did that.

Now to the main problem - I'm damned that I cannot connect to my wifi.  My son came round last weekend with his shiny new HTC Desire and we failed miserably to connect to my wifi with that.  Maemo 5 connects with absolutely no problem.  I have scanned for networks, it finds mine, I insert the WPA-PSK encryption key and apparently android accepts it.  It then proceeds to authenticate and finally tries to obtain the IP adress at which point it disconnects and tries agin unless I have scanning for networks disabled.

No way can I connect - could someone please give me a step by step procedure to connect to wifi in Nitdroid please as this is starting to bug me.  I would be most grateful.  I am unable to create an account in Google or obtain my location in Maps as there is no active connection and I've yet to successfully browse a web page lol!

Also I would be grateful for knowing what patches I need to bring my Nitdroid up to date and what further procedures I need to make in order to overclock in Nitdroid please - Simon, you said you could help me with that.

Last but not least, is there any way to backup your settings etc in Nitroid for possible future use?  Curiously in settings, I assume that the N900's internal memory is added to the available space on the SDHC Card - is that normal?  An explanation would be useful.

Sorry for the prolonged post but I'm getting there at last - main reason for Nitdroid is to get some apps, to test it's video streaming over the web as compared with Maemo5 and to see if the Maps app is any better than Maemos :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

Thank you for any help you can all give me.

Cheers

Paul

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Pretty please?????

:smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

Paul

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Not sure if we have many Nitroid fans in here :smileysad:

I have continued with my plans to have a fully working Nitroid and have managed to find how to overclock, by installing the power kernel and upgrading the multiboot prog.

However there seems a basic problem in getting online which seems not to have been fixed.  This is the so called "Airplane Mode" problem.  It goes into this mode by itself and stays there - after you diable it it goes back into it!

There are several "fixes" including disabling Pin Code Request in Maemo and after deleting a string of files boot back into Nitroid - however this doesn't work for me so with the ability of not getting on a network (and I appreciate that voice calls hasn't been fixed yet) or online via my WiFi the current version of Nitroid seems useless.  There seems a growing body of people who think this matter has been resolved within the Nitroid Forum but there is an even bigger group who say it hasn't fixed it for them - I fall into the latter group :smileysad:

One thing though is this - how do I find out what version of Nitroid I'm running?  I have looked in the "About" menu within Nitdroid but it doesn't show up.  Because I used the 0.0.7 installer, because I was having the problems with partitioning, does this mean I'm running version 0.0.7 of Nitdroid? 

If yes then maybe by uninstalling it and trying again using the 0.0.8 installer may fix this problem.  I would therefore uninstall my current version without repartitioning and install the latest version.

Anyone know how I should go about this please and point me to Nitdroid 0.0.8? 

That is if anyone is interested in following this thread lol!

Paul

Please use plain text.
Professor
montana_uk

I'm guessing that you must be using 0.0.7 build then, so it might be an idea to try the 0.8 build.  Now that you have partitioned your  SD card already, it shouldn't fall over at the Formatting stage.

Give that a go.

The big problem I have each time I have re-installed NitDroid is that when I have to sign in, it never likes my existing account, so I always have to make a new one and export my contacts into there through Google Mail, and then look for all the apps I like again.

If tnis post is a cure to your issue, please MARK IT AS SOLUTION.

If this post has helped anyone in any way, PLEASE SHARE YOUR KUDOS, by clicking on the GREEN STAR.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Sorry man, just been a bit busy of late, will try answer tonight.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Cheers Montana.

As you guessed, I used the 0.0.7 "Installer" because the version 0.0.8 refused to partition my SDHC Card - version 0.0.7 worked :smileyhappy:

However because it is an "Installer", I assumed it would install the most up to date version of Nitdroid on my phone.  I am confused because I don't know which version I have.

At the moment Nitdroid is working ok, I have the correct multiboot and power boot kenels installed and can overclock in Mawmo as before - the multibooting giving me 3 options here to boot into Maemo without oc, to boot into Maemo with oc and to boot into Nitdroid.

HOWEVER I simply cannot connect to my WiFi - it authenticates then disconnects, it tries again several times before giving up and leaving me disconnected :smileysad:

I did have the Aipplane Mode problem but after tinkering around, I am free from this now and it is deactivated and the mobile network symbol shows up as "active".  I have not set up an APN yet - not sure I have to as yet given that you cannot make (and receive?) voice calls but for the life of me, I have tried everything to connect my WiFi but am failing miserably :smileysad: :smileysad:

Ok this is the plan and maybe you can help please? : -

1.  Find out what version of Nitdroid I have installed right now.  I am aware that WiFi was activated from version 0.0.8 so if my Nitdroid is older than this then maybe this is my problem?  Are the Installer versions and Nitdroid versions one and the same thing?  FYI I can activate Bluetooth as these options are not greyed out - this tells me that perhaps I have the most recent version installed, unless this was activated from version 7?

2.  Assuming that I have an older version of Nitdroid installed - I need step by step instructions as to how to UNINSTALL my current version of Nitdroid whilst leaving the Power and Multibooting options as they are and WITHOUT destroying the current SDHC Card's partitioning.

3.  Finally I need to know exactly how to INSTALL the most recent version of Nitdroid

I am so near yet so far with Nitdroid and all the problems I have experienced have been sorted resulting in a massive learning curve and leaving me with the impression that my N900 is such a cool piece of kit.

Now if only I could go to the "Market".........

I have registered on the Nitdroid Forums but prefer to stay here for now as they are baffling me with science in terms of the lingo they speak lol!  You guys make things sound straight forward :smileyhappy:

TIA

Paul

Please use plain text.
Sage

Well since v7 has already partitioned your SD card for you, you should just be able to download and install nitdroid-installer

Give it a go.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for replying Simon :smileyhappy:

I have established the following: -

"The installer always installs the latest version. There is no 0.0.8 version, there is a 0.2.6 and 0.2.7, both of which install nitdroid version 0.0.8.  You need to set up APN settings in order to use 3G, but wifi should just be a case of going into wifi settings and connecting to your desired access point and entering your key."

However I am still having problems with connecting my WiFi and have been told this: -

"The NITDroid "on screen keyboard" doesn't work with numbers at the moment, try using the slide keyboard, then you know that the right code is being entered."

My key is rather a long one so I will try this later and report back - I would have thought though that if I had input the incorrect key an error message would pop up telling you so - maybe not with Nitdroid - anyone know this?  So far all I have used is the onscreen keyboard.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

It did not work - my Nitdroid refuses to connect :smileysad:

roz

Please use plain text.