Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Is the N900 going to have various keyboard layouts...

Contributor

Is the N900 going to have various keyboard layouts?

Hi on one of the forums which i moderate, many people have been asking about the keyboard layouts of the Nokia N900.

Currenlty the pictures and info we found suggests there is only going to be the normal "qwerty" layout.

But what about france with their "azerty"? Or Hungary with "qwertz" and áéőú letters?

As a person, who uses mobile internet a lot on i'd find these layouts rather useful and i'm sure, there are many others like me out there.

So is nokia planning to release the phone in the countries mentioned above with their own layouts? Or are we all going to get the normal "qwety" model?

Looking forward to hearing back from Nokia.

Thanks for reading. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: Is the N900 going to have various keyboard layouts?

Anyone?? 
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

I dont think so, as I have never known in history for a phone having different formats of keys for each country. Then again its just me. If the e75 or e71 has a different qwerty format released in your country, then you may expect it, but if not, most likely no as well.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

I believe it does.. I saw a post on talk.maemo.org (official Maemo forum) of a french user who was ordering from the UK to get a phone without a AZERTY french keyboard because he wanted a QWERTY one..

There are a number of country varients, though apparently only the layout differs..

Some suck..

I'm not sure which, but some languages make use of extra keys for extra symbols so "up" and "down" are now FN+left and FN+Right!! 

No dedicated up and down buttons.. 

I think I'm going to be sick.. I really feel for them.. and I'm quiet happy to be a qwerty ascii user :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Oh my!

You were right! Check this picture out: http://www.cs.hut.fi/~kirma/n900-nordic.jpg 

It's Nordic layout apparently but it really DOESN'T have dedicated up/down keys

this is horrendous..

I think i'm going to go with the english model as well.. I hope apostrophes on certain characters can be solved like on the 5800. eg

'a = á

'e = é 

and so on

Why did they only put three rows of keys in i'm sure there would have been room for 4 rows.. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

from what i have heard there are a few layouts

English (USA & UK)

French

Finnish

im not sure about others......

Please use plain text.