Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Issue with the Battery on my N9, after 1.2 upd...

Contributor
Froberg
Accepted Solution

Issue with the Battery on my N9, after 1.2 update.

[ Edited ]

Right, since the 1.2 battery I'll be lucky to be at 20% after eight hours at work.

I've got facebook and twitter notifications enabled.

No RSS feeds.

Calendar syncing. (hourly)

No email.

3G is always on, alternatively wi-fi.

I text most of the day, maybe 4-5 messages an hour max while I'm at work.

I don't do any browsing while at work, don't use the GPS.. it just sits there and I text.

Before the 1.2 update, with this usage profile, I was able to get 2 days of battery out of this.

I tried removing all apps, didn't make a bit of difference.

I reset the device settings, no change.

Looking at battery usage monitor, my device appears to idle at 161mA, which is only 6 mA lower than my avg current consumption.

As I'm writing this, the phone has discharged from 80 to 73% in 34 minutes, which seems like a lot. It's been idle for 72% of those 34 minutes.

Looking at the "top energy consumers" page, Device idle is currently responsible for 65% of the battery drain, whilst MeeGo System is at 19%. Everything else is at 5% or lower. All I want is to be able to get a days use out of this phone. As it stands, I'm not even able to take it out and go nuts with the camera, for fear of losing all the battery and rendering it useless.

Prior to the update I was able to nab photos, GPS a bit and write plenty of texts, and while it'd require a charge by the time I had to go to bed - it would handle it fine. Anyone else experiencing this? Any tips? Anything I can do?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SergeiB

Re: Issue with the Battery on my N9, after 1.2 update.

i have the same with 3G only and allowed background connection. Discharge is more than 10% per hour. Bit better with dual mode, but practically about the same. Just in case, 3G coverage in my area is quite good.

My workaround is to use 2G mode only (GSM in n9 terms). With it average idle consumption is 5mA, battery discharge ~1% per hour.

2G is enough for checking my two MfE in background, etc. i shift on 3G (more exactly on dual) temporary only when i really need it (e.g Skype call or heavy download). 2G|3G switcher from ovi store perfectly do the work in just one click.

and yes, wi-fi is also in background when available. by the way, practically no difference in power  consumption in wi-fi and 2G.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Froberg

Hi man.

I'm testing it now. I just put the charger in to reset battery monitor, and put it on WiFi. There didn't use to be any issue using the 3G at all times.. it happened post update :smileysad:

But who knows.

At this stage, I'm about ready to do a .txt backup of my text messages, backup my contacts and just restore the phone using software updater.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Froberg

Problem is still very much alive. It's averaging 180 mA to 220 mA in idle state.. just too much.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Froberg

Perhaps you should seriously consider re-installing existing device software with standalone Nokia Software Updater as something not right here:http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/Nokia_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SergeiB

People tried http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1190228&postcount=66, helps only for a short while

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Froberg

Pulled out my text messages, backed up my photos and other files.. and wiped all personal settings, then I wiped the device using Nokia Software Update. It's now idled all night, and it's avg usage is 9%. I used it heavily before sleeping to get my most-needed applications back, and it's still only discharged 10% in 9 hours. Now I just have all my text messages in a single text file that I have to sort through, but at least I did not lose them.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SergeiB

So far so good, hope it'll be stable

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Froberg

Aye, me too. I just set up all accounts now, I wonder if that will have a large impact on usage. Currently charging to full for further testing.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SergeiB

Okay @Froberg, good luck. Perhaps i'll wipe my n9 next weekend. After reading all blogs still suspicious it solves all problems, looks like bug in pr1.2 triggered unpredictably. On the other hand reinstall from scratch is always helpful.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Froberg

I'm averaging 16 mA idle drain now.. compare that to the 170-225's I was getting previously, well.. and the phone is connected to like.. seven different accounts including mail for exchange.. and is permanently on WiFi. I haven't changed any default behaviour, so I feel like this is good. I've also re-installed all the apps I used to have, with no difference, so it seems that apps are not to blame for the issue. It's a strange thing, to be sure.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SergeiB

Did you check on 3G? With WiFi i also have about 10mA (about the same on 2G only), but with 3G it goes on 100mA and higher...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Froberg

It's always-on.. averaging 19 mA idle.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SITI87hajar

My N9 battery is completely drained in just 6 hours. Today the Average Idle Consumption shows that it was 64mAh. I don't know what cause the problem. I'm just sending a text message. No WiFi activity. But when connected to the WiFi, the battery won't last up to 5 hours. Sometime it reach up to 80-90mAh when connected to the WiFi. I'm running on a GSM connection. I don't use the 3G.

This happens since the PR1.1 but it getting worst and worst since PR1.2.

Nokia 3310, 8250, 6070, 6060, 3120, 1110, 1280, 5300 XpressMusic, N76, 6120 classic, 5800 XpressMusic, 5530 XpressMusic, N900, C3-00, N8-00, N9, 700, X2-01, Asha 302, Lumia 610, Lumia 920, Asha 501, Lumia 820 and Lumia 1520... :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Froberg

I figure you should try a complete reset of the device, as I did. It's still goin' strong. I call and text quite a bit these days, and play some NFS - I get a days charge out of it now, with a comfortable charge remaining when I charge it during the night. (roughly 2 hours of use per day..)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SergeiB

My $0.02. On weekend I reinstalled the device (PR1.2) using NSU, without wiping (it saves majority of you data). Average idle consumption is within 10mA on WiFi or 2G only (as it was before) and went down to within 20mA on dual mode (instead of 100+mA previously). 

Please use plain text.
Professor
theking2

Hi aspergerguy.

Small remark. The link you provided is to Nokia Suite. Nokia Suite can not be used on the N9. Instead use nokia link: nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/Install_Nokia_Link.exe 

Nokia Link has no option to update the phone though.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dlimks2002

I am just wondering, if there is anything wrong with my battery. I charged it up fully this morning and leave it on the desk idling. This is around in the morning at 10.00am

When I came back home to grab my phone on the desk (evening at 7.00pm), my phone battery went flat. 

This doesn't happen to me before, and the occurence has become more and more frequent...

Can any kind souls help......:question::smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Have you tried using this application to monitor situation? http://my-meego.com/software/applications.php?fldAuto=108&faq=1

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dlimks2002

I do encounter the same situation as you. Do you have the aolution to this?

I am now like loss..... :smileysad:

Please use plain text.