Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Major update available for the N9.

Advisor

Re: Major update available for the N9.

[ Edited ]

Not yet in Iran.Owning a Nokia in Iran is just waste of money no Ovi store,no updates....Nothing at all.I'm really sorry that I bought a Nokia phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
earendilion

I read that it wasn't a good idea to activate Developer mode before update... well I did. And now (even if I don't know if it's linked to that), it seems my phone is more unstable. Sometimes the screen flickrs, it loses connection, so that I have to reboot 2 to 3 times a day.

I deactivated developer mode, but I still can see the applications linked to this mode in the Manage application menu... is it a good idea to uninstall them (for example : aegis-dev-mode, developer mode, develsh, sdk-connectivity-tool, x11vnc...) ?

Thank you !

Please use plain text.
ArtisN

Mine now is in reboot loops. :smileysad: "Died" during update, so, am not quite sure if it's still 1.0 or already 1.1. Developer mode was never enabled, though.
Please use plain text.
Trixxey

Why does it have to be so complicated?

After a couple of years hating my iphone, I finally thought that the N9 was THE phone.

All of my computers run XP so no Link and no Ovi suite and while looking for any new updates, to fix this problem I find this thread and now it appears if I do update, the world could fall apart (well my N9 anyway) Maybe i'm on the wrong planet (or the wrong thread)

I know someone is going to explain to me how I can use older version of Nokia Suite (maybe works, sort of) blah blah blah, but hell why should i have to.  N9 is supposed to be a top end phone. Sort of feels like buying a top quality car but they forgot to put the wheels on.

I hate the thought of returning to iphone but??

BTW update is not in Australia yet

Oh yeah whats 'Developer Mode?'

Please use plain text.
andytk

Couldn't agree more, the nokia site appears to be devoid of the fact that they can't support linking my PC outlook to my n9 through XP.  Basic stuff!! For a phone that looks and feels great it needs to work simply as well.   big dropped ball from nokia, I may have to give up and resort back to the simpler world of blackberry, which I really don't want to do.

Please use plain text.
mousse04

Anyone has tried to flash another firmware than the orginal's one in order to acess the PR1.1 update?

For instance I have a PR_009 model. So can I flash a firmware with a PR number 001 (finnish)?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Julf_Helsingius

I thought anybody buying a N0 would know that it was very much "bleeding edge", and because of Nokia's new Microsoft strategy, would always be the poor (red-headed) stepchild in the family...

Please use plain text.
Sage
wdexplorer

@ Julf_Helsingius

Just couple of quotes from swipe.nokia.com: "Beautifully Simple"; "Endless Possibilities"

How was I supposed to know that N9 is not supported by PC Suite, Ovi Suite or Nokia Suite and that there's only a Nokia Link which allows only limited sync options?

I mean before bying a phone I did my home exercise:

- read some rapturous reviews on net;

- tried phone in store;

- talked retailers

I think by any means -- this is a reasonably sufficient exercise to buy almost any other phone on the market (I know believe this does not relate to Nokia anymore).

Although I knew that Nokia is dropping off MeeGo, how could I knew that:

- I will not be able to connect N9 to PC without getting too sophisticated? 

- that front camera despite being there is not supported by phone?

- that update will disable the main camera;

- that it is not possible to change fonts size;

- that loudspeaker is useless; etc

I'm (and majority of the users are) not the mobile geek to sit on tech forums and get into the details of each phone, compare software versions abd find out weird ways of doing things that manufacturer failed to provide, but which one would otherwise expect to have in a smartphone.

Normally, it would be sufficient to visit manufacturer's site and a third party review to make a choice.  User does not have to waste his time searching all over the web to find out whether phone works as it is expected or not.  Nokia says N9 is beatifully simple and has endless possibilities -- THIS IS A BIG LIE, which you can expect from some no-name manufacturer, but not from the world's largest mobile manufacturer.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Julf_Helsingius

Well, I wouldn't call saying it is "beautifully simple and has endless possibilities" a lie - it is beautifully simple (too bad it doesn't work all that well) and it has endless possibilities that Nokia decided not to pursue.

But at least I got mine knowing what the score would be. I hadn't had a chance to see or hold one (as they aren't sold in the Netherlands), so I had even less information than you when making my decision. But the reason I wanted one rather than an iphone was that I am prepared to live with some of the shortcomings in exchange for not being caged in by Apple (or Microsoft).

I think the appropriate phrase is "your mileage may vary".

Please use plain text.
Sage
wdexplorer

I'm also not happy to be caged by Apple or Microsoft but I found myself being even in a smaller cage called Nokia :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Marco_zh

Someone knows when the update will be availale for my phone here in singapoire?

Until a certain point i have to agree that nokia did not hold what they promised with the n9.
Specially with the front camera.. On the officially webpage they write that i can do video calls with this phone, but obviously this is not possible. Sounds for me like a lie. I pay for something i can not use..

Same with the software update... There is no agenda or time schedule available for the release. I have no clue how long i still need to use my current os version...
Please use plain text.
clik_her

The update works fine here :smileyhappy: (denmark)

Seems that the swipe works faster and some small changes to text, mail and other icones at operator bar (or what ever its called)

Love the Swype text msg update. Much easyer to text msges now. Just need to get used to it at start.

Guess there is some bug with the calander, because I change the workday to monday but always changes back again to sunday as start workday. Hope that it will be fixed with update 1.2 (if its a bug)

All in all, seems like a fresh update even if it looks small at first hand

Regards

Clik_her 

Please use plain text.
dominatorix

Hello, I'm from  Romania to, but I' don't find pr 1.1 update for my phone, I refreshed my update button from "Aplication"

do you know from where I can download?
ps. I: 10.2011.34-1.232.2_PR_232
and: CV Switzerland.
thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

earendilion wrote:
<body><p>Hi all,<p><br><p>I bought my N9 in Switzerland, but live in France... will I get the update too, as the N9 is not delivered in France ?

Where you are physically located has no influence on the availability of updates. If an update is released for N9 phones on the Swiss market then you will be able to install it wherever you are.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Julf_Helsingius

clik_her wrote:
Love the Swype text msg update. Much easyer to text msges now. Just need to get used to it at start.

Any special magic I need to do to enable swype?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jonnyjl

Julf_Helsingius wrote:

clik_her wrote:

Any special magic I need to do to enable swype?

Yes, Go to Settings->Time and language, Switch the Input to Swype and Enable Swype (Toggle switch).

Lol the only thing I hate Swype for is Terminal! 

Phone: N9 Black, Use to be: N8 NAM Orange, N97 NAM Black
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

If you swipe your finger right to left across the keyboard, it will swap from swype to normal and back again! You can change which type of keyboard you're using with a swipe!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jonnyjl

cpitchford wrote:
If you swipe your finger right to left across the keyboard, it will swap from swype to normal and back again! You can change which type of keyboard you're using with a swipe!

Weird.  I was seeing that in Terminal but it kept going to the swype keyboad.  it works now.  Odd.

You wouldn't know how to close the Swype keyboard would you ?  I guess its easier now that I can switch keyboards.

Phone: N9 Black, Use to be: N8 NAM Orange, N97 NAM Black
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Julf_Helsingius

Great! Thanks!

Please use plain text.
srinathmreddy

Today i got an OTA notification of events screen, when i click on that it opened me the update dialog. But unfortunately the size is always showing as 0kb, so i am not able update to latest firmware. I tried refreshing couple of times but no luck. Appreciate help over here. 

Please use plain text.