Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

My phone won't charge or connect to a PC....USB po...

Counsellor

My phone won't charge or connect to a PC....USB port seems to be non-functional....

It seems that I need my N900 replaced.  When connected to a charger it only charges for an instant and then disconnects. I have tried two chargers.  The phone also won't connect to my pc via USB.  The USB port looks ok, but clearly isn't working.

I'll call the phone insurers tomorrow and get a replacement :-(

Mobile Guru

Re: My phone won't charge or connect to a PC....USB port seems to be non-functional....

What happens if you power your device on without the charger?

N900 are remarkably unreliable when it comes to charging a flat battery.

Have you updated your firmware to the latest version (PR1.1 1.2009.51) that was released last week? Does your device hang on the 5 dots during booting?

Counsellor

Re: My phone won't charge or connect to a PC....USB port seems to be non-functional....

Thanks for your response.  My answers to your questions are below : 

Q: What happens if you power your device on without the charger?  

A: It works at the moment because the battery has charge....but the device will be dead when the battery is exhausted because I won't be able to recharge it.

Q: N900 are remarkably unreliable when it comes to charging a flat battery.

A: The battery is not flat yet.  After much fiddling I got a partial charge this lunchtime.  The battery shows 2/3 full and will not now top/up charge again.

Q: Have you updated your firmware to the latest version (PR1.1 1.2009.51) that was released last week? Does your device hang on the 5 dots during booting?

A: Yes, I have upgraded the firmware last week, over the air, and the device does not hang when rebooting.  (I rebooted it earlier today to see if some software problem was stopping it charge.)

Any more ideas? 

Professor

Do you have OVI suite installed?  After an update to Ovi suite last week, Ovi was being auto-started on boot replacing PC suite. I plugged in my N900 expecting PC suite to pop up.... but I didn't...I also get the yellow bar that tells me that the N900 is charging.  Only when I exited Ovi did the N charge.

If the device is off - plug in the charger.  Does it vibrate, display the nokia logo behing a very dark screen, pulse the led, then go black?

Also try settings menu "restore original settings"   

Counsellor

Gentlemen, I honestly hope I am wrong about this but my interpretation of the issue is the user had a non-functional micro USB port on the N900.  I predict that the user is experiencing the initial symptoms of what will become yet another case of the micro USB disengaging itself from inside the device.  I respect the great advice pitchford and devj always give on this forum, and I think your responses to the issue are logical and technically sound, but I suspect they don't address what is really happening to this user.  It's interesting that none of the proposed solutions account for the possibility of a physical hardware problem, even after the mounting number of cases.  On the other hand, if there have been any software based problems causing a USB port to malfunction, I don't remember reading about them.

So, my suspicion is that the USB port is not working because its internal connection to the device is gradually coming undone.  I think it will eventually fall out of the device and I urge the user to take not to lose it so Nokia doesn't accuse you of abusing the device.  Have a look at the thread on this subject titled "hardware failure, mini USB port" you can search for it using my ID (N900lover) as a key.

Professor

yes it might be the "surface mount" issue. which is the next logical step in the chain
Counsellor

Re: My phone won't charge or connect to a PC....USB port ..happy ending for me...

I have read the USB falling out/ surface mount thread.  Very worrying.  I think Nokia has a hardware design fault on their hands.  I wonder if they will confess and swap out the faulty hardware.  Hmmmm.

As for me I had bought my N900 from the Nokia Flagship Store in Regent Street.  They have a 28 day no-quibble guarantee. I called them. They said come in and they'll swap it.  I went there.  They didn't test my broken phone, they just opened the seal on a brand new boxed N900 and gave the new phone in exchange.  I was and remain very impressed by this.

I don't think I'd be so impressed if I were outside the 28 day period and had to rely on the 2 year warranty...and then have to argue cause and cost.  

This does seem like a design fault to me. Why did Nokia opt for the slimmer USB connection?  The slimmer connection seems more flimsy and difficult to use.  The standard USB port, like on the E90 is just fine, tried and tested.

Mobile Guru

Re: My phone won't charge or connect to a PC....USB port ..happy ending for me...

i thonk nokia's choice of part used on the N900 is pretty cheap.. remember to save as much money on the most strenuously taxed part in the phone...

the mini usb connector on the E90 is deprecated. it is no longer a current standard with the usb standards people... microusb is the way forward for pretty much all new phones..even the N810 has a microusb port.. small is to stay.. its just a shame no one thought the extra 10p on each connector was warranted and we ended up with such a delicate part..

Counsellor

The N97 also has a micro USB port but I don't think it was surface mounted because of all the N97 problems, the micro USB was not one of them.  I am very happy to hear Nokia honoured their no quibble return policy.  It is in everyone's best interest.  I received a bit of promising news from Nokia today  I will post it in the USB problem thread. 

Assuming I get my replacement, I plan to be very careful with the USB port in the future, much the same way I handled my N97 camera lens cover when opening it because of the lens scratch issue.  I will handle it like I'm cleaning my infant daughter's ear.  It shouldn't be necessary but this is the price we pay to be on the bleeding edge.

Mobile Guru

It is a sad state of affairs when "bleeding edge" is Can we make this part cheaper? Compare the SIM slot, the MicroSD slot, the MicroUSB socket with that of the N97?

Sim in a tray, Microsd card in a mechanical ejecting slot, microsd we assume is better (actually my N97 connect is damaged, but still working..just)

I get the difference between say LCD panel types might save $10 per device.. but seriously.. comparing the most expensive robust micro USB socket with the cheapest nastiest.. its got to be under $1.. Even if it weren't I'd pay Nokia $10 more to have one that never broke.. let alone came off the PCB and out of the phone!

*shudder* cheap mechanical parts make devices cheap.. in every sense of the word..

It worries me each time I plug my device in!

Registered Member
boboman

Re: My phone won't charge or connect to a PC....USB port ..happy ending for me... NOT

very disappointing thread this, and the volume of responses in general about this matter is mind boggling ...... not a peep from Nokia!

Presently I'm stuck overseas with a dead 900, what's the point of keeping this gsm?

I've been a loyal nokia user for over a decade, but that's it.  Sinking ship rather than flag ship so I'm off to HCT or some such.... rats ....

I have a nuvi satnav that has just been recalled because of battery problems.  Good service, gives me confidence in buying future garmain products.

Shame on you Nokia and your "head in the sand" attitude.

Good luck to you all.  Boboman :smileyhappy:

Advisor
AMCooper63

Re: My phone won't charge or connect to a PC....USB port ..happy ending for me... NOT

What I have noticed is that my Nokia N8 will not charge via USB unless Nokia Suit is running. So powered hubs and my car USB charger won't charge the phone, but plug it into a running computer with Nokia Suite (Formerly Ovi Suite) running and it charges correctly. I also noticed the samething with my Nokia 6830.