Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

N9 1.3 update

Counsellor
Gray7

N9 1.3 update

Hello all. I stop by here once in a while to see what's what regarding the N9. I bought mine about 6 months ago from somewhere in Europe and have found it intuitively simplistic, different and rather clever on the whole, once you get used to what it can do. Congratulations are in order to you smart people at Nokia.I am afraid to say what's left of you all that is. My sympathies are with you having to work under the ms man, or now not at all perhaps. Good luck for your futures.

Going back to N9, there are a couple of niggles.  First being the so small font size, especially in the messaging app. My eyes are ok but that dark blue on light blue has me reaching for the magnifying glass! :really. Mail is not so bad with black on white, but stiil too small for me. One thing I did not check before buying.  Other thing is not being able to sync contacts offline. I do not want to put my info on anyones servers, but do need to update and edit contacts all the time. After installing file manager on the phone I can at least export to file, copy them off with windows as .vcf but then have to use WAB to edit which is hardly syncing.  I did sync with my now spare C7, which worked second time, and then synced C7 with Nokia Suite where I can edit. But then I have to 'back sync' and remember to make sure data is taken from right phone. A right pain!  The C7 drive app also trumps the N9 with the ability to set route to shortest distance, which N9 cannot yet do.

Overall though, a really nice OS. No wonder Mr.Exxx did not want it sold everywhere. 

For myself, I will stick with the N9. It does what I want. ie: phone, interweb, mail, message, maps/drive, contacts, calendar, camera, music, video, radio and egg timer, + one or two extras. (not into face or twit) .deb apps install easy with a file manager. Thanks to the Meego guys here.

So, I only look forward to the fabled 1.3 update if it gives me the option to increase the font sizes and enables some sort of offline contact syncing, perhaps with link, which, apart from the backup facility, serves no other useful purpose.

I hope there are enough motivated people left at Nokia to not give up entirely, though I could not blame them if they did. Who knows, maybe all is not yet lost?

Regards,

G

gray
Registered Member
vitalyk

Re: N9 1.3 update

Gray, I completely agree with you and also can't wait for the update. There were some rumors online stating that the update would come at the end of May, but it's the end of June now. If they wait too long I might end up installing Android on my N9> http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?board=2.0

Cheers

Counsellor
Gray7

Hi Vitalyk, thanks for that, I bookmarked it to read later. My gf has the Sammy 2 ics and she always asking me how to do things on it, so not so easy for her! I looked at Android some time back when she got her first one and did not like it much tbh. Too much going on in the background and a pain to control it all but if the N9 could run just the apps that might be worth looking at. As I do not want ms any where near my phone and Belle is cave dweller next to Meego, that only leaves Blackberry and who knows when 10 is coming.
Regards,
Gray
ps: Apparantley the carriers dont much like the Lumias, even less the bully boy tactics of Exxx aka ms!
gray
Counsellor
MadMadScientist

The new nokia suite should support N9 and contact syncing.

Look here:

http://www.allboutn9.info/2012/06/nokia-suite-now-compatible-with-nokia.html

And let me know if it works fine :squint:

Counsellor
Gray7

Hello MadMadScientist, Are you really? Well, I am really pleased that the suite now recognises my N9. The sync contacts works fine which is what I was really wanting. Does not show Messages as threads though but not a worry for me. Have not tried syncing photos, music or vids, but I don't need that anyway as Windows and phone itself can talk to eachother ok.

Few other things it does not do either, like read your apps, but again not really needed. The maps in Suite showed me that I had every language voice guidance file installed so I was pleased to delete all those freeing up lots of space. None of the 3 file managers I have tried told me that, and except for being able to install .deb files, have found them all rather limited.

What a fine piece of work the N9 and Meego is. When I go back to the C7 (now backup, spare) and Belle to keep in sync with N9, it seems archaic! All I want now is larger fonts in messaging.

Regards,

G
gray
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Gray7

Don't know whether you have come across:http://gkos.com/gkos/meego/

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Sage
krishgetz

@Gray7 -: For increasing the font of the messaging thread, there is one app called "N9 QTweak", not in ovi store which will help you increase the font. 

Check this .. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80600&highlight=Qtweak

I though have no problem with the font, but a lot of guys looking at my N9 do complain about the small fonts, specially when compared to iPhones/Samsung S2 etc. 

Counsellor
MadMadScientist

Well - actually just Mad - but MadScientist was not available anymore...:smileytongue:

Anyway - thanks for the infos, I guess I will try the betaversion soon myself.

Especially since Mfe with hotmail does not work anymore.

Apart from that - I agree - nothing better out there than the N9

Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Heh - that's good to know about Nokia Suite supporting the N9 now. I'll give it a spin when I get home this evening and report back.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Registered Member
freen

My N9 small font is a problem to me.

I had a look at the Qteak app, still I’d much prefer Nokia developers to put larger font themselves. A SamsungS2-like font would be perfect with me.

Mobile Overlord
grschinon

I can confirm that the latest beta of Nokia Suite does work with the N9 but with a few minor limitations. Still, it's good enough. Any progress from here is a bonus :smileyhappy:

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Counsellor
Gray7

Hey aspergerguy, thanks for pointing that out. I had a look at that chordic entry system a while back and the look of it frightened the life out of me! Thanks anyway.
Regards,
G
gray
Counsellor
Gray7

Hi krishgetz, yeah, saw this some time back as well and might try it out if nothing in the 1.3 update. Looking at the screenshots though, it appears that fonts are just magnified and therefore not in focus properly. Or it could be my eyes at fault! But if magnification is how it works I don't see that as solution. Be good to hear if anyone has installed this app and is happy with how it works. I used to be more adventurous, now I err on the side of caution!

Regards,
G
gray
Sage
krishgetz

I've installed the app and increased the font size to 30 to check for your benefit. The font looks natural and in focus. Go ahead and try it out.
Counsellor
Gray7

OK, thanks for doing that, I will give it a try.
Cheers,
gray
gray