Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N9 3g connection fails

arch777fr
Accepted Solution

N9 3g connection fails

Hi,

I've been using my N9 (running Meego 1.2) for 1 month without problems but since monday, I can not connect to the 3g network for no good reason.
The wifi connection works fine but when I try to connect to 3g, the connection fails (after several attempts) and I can not even give or receive phone calls!

I tried the following fix but with no results... 

Does anyone have a clue?

Please use plain text.
Sage
krishgetz

I too had the same problem where my phone could not connect to 3G for browsing. It was fixed by a visit to the network provider who changed the access point name for mobile data connection.

My network is Vodafone UK.
Please use plain text.
arch777fr

Hi,

Here is a new development : I realized that the 3g connection works fine during 15 to 20 minutes when I start the phone then it freezes.

My 3g connection is automatically on at start-up, the background connections are enabled and the battery is charged above 50%.

I also removed a few applications, just in case.

Once the connection freezes, there is no way to give/receive phone calls and obviously no internet either...

I tried to restart the connection through:

devel-su

root password

cd /etc/init.d

./networking restart

These commands led nowhere, is there a way to restart the connection without restarting the device?

Thanks for your advice!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jvc95

Hi,

I live in france and I have exactly the same problem!

I flash and reflash my phone with differents product codes but nothing.

I change my micro sim but nothing.

I don't know what to do.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jvc95

Differents product codes and firmwares of course...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jvc95

I juste found after hour of research this post.

I just tried it.

May be you would try it too.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jvc95

"just found" soory for my bad english...

The text on talk maemo

aRTee
02-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Not sure if you're asking me (if so, than thanks!).
I really have no idea how to use these fixes you guys post here...
Maybe Maemo/meego is not for me as I am just an ordinary user...
Thanks anyways!
:smileysad:
Yes I'm asking you...
Well, if you're unhappy with such an expensive device, it's perhaps not for you, but if you want to give it a try (instead of taking it back to the shop for a refund), you can do the following: enable developer mode it will install stuff and tell you to reboot. Note that if you only have 3G data, since you have the problem, you may have to reboot before turning on dev mode as well, since it will need to download some packages (programs).
After rebooting, you will see that you have some new icons/programs, one of which is the famous (or perhaps infamous) terminal. Next time you get no network connection, tap that and in the green text screen, type the following command (turn off swype input if you have it on, it is cumbersome with command line due to its advanced word input correction going haywire on terminal commands - turn it off by swiping left or right at keyboard level) devel-su {this asks the password, which is "rootme", which whilst you type it, it won't show up in green, that's a security feature} /sbin/initctl restart xsession/icd2
Whenever I have the problem, (I have it on wifi, only had it once on 3g, didn't use cellular data afterwards) the above fixes it, and I can connect normally. I actually made an icon that can be tapped.
Note: the terminal app has two modes, switchable by tapping the green text area. In the mode with arrows, the up arrow will go back through the list of previously executed commands, so if all you do is this, you will only have to type it in once.
Lastly, I'm also just a normal user, not a dev or anything...

Please use plain text.
arch777fr

Hi jvc95

Thanks for your reply, I also live in France, I use the SFR network provided by La Poste... My 3g connection worked during 1 month then it stopped working....
I would like to try other providers but it is not so easy..
Who is your phone provider?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
earendilion

[ Edited ]

Same problem here, with SFR... did they change their access point ?

arch777fr is your problem solved since your last post ?

[EDIT] For info, here is a post  on macgeneration that describes exactly the same problem with iphone... SFR seems to be migrating something (access point firmwares ???) : http://forums.macgeneration.com/iphone/perte-de-3g-toutes-les-5-minutes-icone-3g-presente-1077762.ht...

[EDIT] Forcing GSM connection helps : Paramètres > Réseau mobile > Mode réseau > GSM

Please use plain text.
arch777fr

Thanks for your reply earendilion.

I have absolutely not solved my problem!! I really don't know what to do except migrating to a different provider... I wonder what the problem is : software bug, hardware broken, micro sim faulty or just a network issue.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
earendilion

Some more info on SFR forum :

http://forum.sfr.fr/c141-1-questions-techniques/f145-les-services-mobile/f12-internet-sur-un-mobile/...

bonsoir, probleme resolu pour moi.
boutique sfr: probleme lie au travaux sur le reseau pour le passage au 4G
service technique sfr: changement carte sim (fait)

Please use plain text.
arch777fr

Thanks for the link. It seems that the sim card was not functionnal for the sfr network. I switched to Orange with a new micro sim and everything is back to normal! No need to change any settings, the 3g connection works fine now!!!
Please use plain text.