Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N9: Dead at Startup

Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

N9: Dead at Startup

Ok, my first shock with Nokia N9.

I just installed Foursquare for Meego and restarted my Nokia. Now it's not booting and just showing black screen with Nokia Logo.. written "NOKIA".

I tried turning off and turning on again.... seems like it's "DEAD" and need NOKIA CARE to Fix it.

**bleep**!! seriously.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

Re: N9: Dead at Startup

IRONIC!! I called Nokia Care Line and they guy with nice accent told me, "Sir, please remove your battery from N9 and put it again, and restart the phone. :smileyvery-happy:

Still unable to figure what to do Next!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@gunsroses_dxb

Have you tried keeping power button depressed for 8 seconds until 3 vibrations felt which is synonymous with removing battery if feasible?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

Yes Buddy, I have tried all the possible ways and googling since I am stuck with it - no solution till now. Going to take it to Nokia Care Center tomorrow morning.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

I managed to brick my device with an hour of owning it.. switched it into dev mode in which case it warned me it would reboot... it crashed, tried to reboot and never started again..

fffff...
they've not made the firmware version's available for download (like they did for the N900) because there are like 100 variants and the files are HUGE (1.4gb + 1.1gb for a single phone restore!)

I'm going to work on my USB flasher toolkit that people here have used.. You'd be able to flash either by booting your machine from a USB memory stick, or from using vmware-player (which is free to download)

This is how I repaired my device.

(on a side note, I think my device is actually defective, it reboots almost consistently and all the stock nokia apps crash regularly, can't even open contacts consistently anymore :smileysad: ) so in your case, it might be worth a trip to nokia.. your device may actually be faulty
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Your phone clearly has serious issues and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets replaced cpitchford.

Btw, my phone does not vibrate 3 times when powerbutton is depressed for 8 seconds, but it turns off and acts normally otherwise.

Does anyone actually get the 3 quick buzzes doing the 8 second press?
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

seems like I have found mates here..

Dead Device: Well, I just left it to Nokia, they said it requires high level repair and returned me today after 2 days telling that SW is updated. But another f ing problem has come, in Nokia Care it didn't detected my Sim, Nokia Care people used their sim and that worked, I bought a new replacement sim card and inserted and it worked for few hours. Now phone says... No Sim Card. I have 5 holidays ahead and everything is closed here in middle east. You can imagine my anger!! I am actually **bleep** off and thinking to sue them on the first working day next week if they are not returning my money or replacing the device. Consumer courts here are pretty good.

Flasher:

Flashier is not an easy part for people like me, I tried doing it but since the actual N9 flasher is not availble, I couldn't do it. Other methods are bit tricky for me.

Vibration/Battery LED issue:

Yes, this problem is with me, If i press my botton for 8s, it doesn't vibrate 3 times but turns off. Another issue you may have noticed, the charging light doesn't blink and doesn't lit up after fully charge, I have to check it throught settings if my battery is charged.

What bother me a lot, I bought 64GB Black Version on the first day of release by paying CASH, even they were not accepting the credit card... i choosed it over Glaxy, iPhone etc. but extremely disappointed.

Nokia shouldn't have released a device which is faulty, or at least fixed it for us. The people who used to come and see my N9, now come to laugh at me!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Not every N9 is faulty and Nokia does however not have any much higher rates generally than others. People has issues with their device no matter what make/brand it is.

However, I don't think a reflash of the device would work, but you never know. I guess it's a bigger chance that there is something wrong with the hardware of your device, unfortunately.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

Probalby you are right but disappointment comes with every new faulty device, regardless how much I was previously happy with Nokia.

I miss my N8 which I had gifted to my younger brother... earlier I had iPhone which I gifted to someone else too. After N8, I was extremely impressed with Nokia and became loyal customer and yes, I was thinking to buy Lumia 800 too.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Fender is right.. I think we're s.o.o.l here :smileysad:

Unless I can get mine serviced here, I have to send it abroad.. and that's a proper pain in the..

If they return it having "flashed the software" I'm going to be nothing short of angry..

Nokia are notorious when it comes to intermittent error. They simply do not investigate the problem.. If it is anything like the N900 it'll go:

1) reflashed firmware, returned to owner
2) reflashed firmware, returned to owner
3) beyond economic repair, returned to owner

They did that for many users who had owned their phones for days..

Which product code is your phone? Does it end in 1V4 (you can find it by pulling out the sim tray and reading it from the white stick on the back of the tray) It seems Austrian 64GB devices are having problems..

The problem I'm facing is waiting for PR1.1 for a fix.. the N900 was horrifically unreliable for many users until the first firmware update.. There was a software fix that worked around the problem, but it was ultimately fixed in the next version.. and this type of stuff is pretty much the same..

its interesting, but at the same time, tricky
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

I have no problem understanding that you're disappointed and frustrated due to this happening. Of course this shouldn't happen and it's never fun for the person who experience this.

Unfortunately this will always happen for someone, but the majority gets working devices.

I wouldn't give up yet and get a new one. I totally love this device. It's a fresh breath in todays cellphone market.

Whatever you do mate, I hope you get satisfied!

I remember I had a similar experience when getting the N95 8 gb. What a disappointment when sending it back for replacement. Well, the shop actually had to have it inspected at a repair shop. I ended up waiting 2 months for it... Worst case kind of. After that I have gone straigt to the care point my self to fix it, if not I ask for a report on the device state and bring it back to the shop demanding a new one.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

I also recognize what you say about the carepoints cpitchford, lucky I know a Nokia care point in Oslo - Norway which is top notch. They fixed my E7. Seriously knowledge guys!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

I want a working one.. I'm happy to wait until PR1.1 if, like the N900, the drivers/kernel are tweaked to fix the problems.. but there's no sign yet.. and unlike the N900 the devs are silent on the matter which is very worrying (perhaps its affecting too few people at the time)

The only frustration is dealing with getting a replacement.. I know if it were in the UK I could return it for a refund (i.e it doesn't boot, give me back my money) and buy it again or just ask for a replacement.. but
dealing with abroad is just scary and very very slow..

If the SIM is not recognised, however, that's a pretty fatal hardware failure, something they're not going to argue with.. something that can't be fixed with a re-flash..

(of course if nokia reflash and it still doesn't work but they send it back anyway, that's something to explode over!)

I love the phone.. the interface and the OS is awesome.. but I'm a maemo addict, so we knew that was going to happen :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Lol, I knew too:smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

Just got my N9 back... looks like refurbished with huge scratches on sim jacket!! :smileymad:

They have changed the whole inside stuff of the mobile and kept the body same... IMEI number is different now.

I WILL NEVER EVER BUY A MOBILE ON THE FIRST DAY OF RELEASE FROM NOKIA!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Visible on the outside of the phone, or only when the sim tray is removed?

That's still a bit pants.. Having seen nokia engineers working, they usually cover the phone in sticky plastic to stop it getting scratched as they pull it apart.. If they've scratched the outside, they should really take a second look. However, if the sim tray is the only thing damaged, it would be nice if they could replace it for you.. especially as it is only a small piece of plastic and springs at the end of the day..

Maybe post a picture here of the damage and a mod could suggest what to do? (If its one the inside only, it's not as bad as it could be.. though its one of those "i know its there" scratches.. and they're pretty irritating)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

it is out side of the jacket at the lower edge if phone face you, I tried getting the photos but couldn't camera blurs when the object is very near and if I took it far, the scratches are not visible.

Yes, I believe Nokia may have strictly instructed the factory people to take utmost care of the body, but even though I got these scratches, fortunately hidden due to cover.

I requested the Nokia Care people to change the jacket with another one, they said it will take again 3 days to replace the jacket since it has to be sent back to main Nokia Care.

Another issue which I am facing now is warranty - it comes with 24 months warranty but Nokia Care record shows 15 months. I have contacted Nokia warranty and those stupid people asked me which store I bought and they lady was not aware of any Nokia Store in my area and kept asking for shop name...and later said, please scan your receipt and send it to us for proper warranty claim, which I will do now. HEADACHE!!

Anyway, I love the phone and live with it, and will buy Lumia 800 once the prices are stable.

Please use plain text.