Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N9 Font too small!!

Advisor
parker1

N9 Font too small!!

[ Edited ]

I received my N9 three days ago and i am so disappointed at the font size. The fonts are way too small and totally unacceptable! I sold my Nokia 700 because the font on that device was so small i just couldn't use it and bought the N9. I figured the N9 with its 3.9" screen the font size would be comparable to the iPhone 4 but boy was i wrong. The fonts on the iPhone 4 are so much bigger! i purchased both the 700 and N9 online so i had no way of knowing the font would be so damn small.

Why are the fonts so small for SMS Messaging?

Why are they so small on the missed call/sms lock screen?

Why is the date on the lock screen so small?

The software guys at Nokia know how to fix this but they refuse. It's not that hard for them to do it. This font size shouldn't even be an issue if they took the time to properly develop the OS for it. I've even heard the Lumia 800 has small fonts.

I've been a loyal Nokia customer for years having owned a 6300 and C3-01 before because they build quality products except this font issue is driving me nuts! Am i supposed to sell my N9 and get an Iphone now?

NOKIA PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE ON YOUR NEXT UPDATE! MAKE THE FONTS BIGGER! ITS GOT A 3.9" SCREEN FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD!!

Moderators notes: Post edited as it contained information which was off topic and unfounded.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
WhyNotKia

I for one am happy with the fonts the way they are. Sorry dude. They could be even smaller, for all I care, to fit more info on the screen.

And seriously, the font size on their phones is probably the very last reason for Apple's vs. Nokia's market cap. Don't be silly.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
parker1

[ Edited ]

"They could be even smaller, for all I care, to fit more info on the screen."

Don't be dumb. For a device with a 3.9" screen the fonts are small. Period. There's absolutely no need for that small font size. Bigger screen size means bigger fonts.

And by the way i know the font size has nothing to do with Apple vs Nokia's market cap and their lost in the market share. I was just saying as a whole Nokia needs to get their act together or else they'll end up like Kodak.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
WhyNotKia

Don't call me dumb just because I have no trouble reading small font.

Some people like it small, some people like it big. I would not prefer the font to be bigger because I like to see more content at once without scrolling. You would prefer the font to be bigger because you have trouble reading small characters. There are certainly many more people in both camps and no one is right or wrong or even "dumb" because of it.

Different people, different preferences. Nokia has to find a happy middle ground and I think they did. Naturally, with stuff like this, there will always be some who are unhappy with the compromise. Sorry that it's you.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
parker1

Nokia did not find a happy middle ground, if they did they would have added an option to select your own font size. How could they be so careless to leave out this simple feature?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ausadl

doubt they would go with user defined font size as this would break most panel designs. simply put hell to maintain. agree with whynotkia.
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert

Please update to PR1.2 when available, it contains some changes to improve the readability of the UI texts.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
parker1

After unboxing my N9 the first thing i did was the update to PR1.2

If by next update still no increase in font size i'm selling my N9 and buying an iPhone. It's such a shame because the phone is so beautiful.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Immortal25

IMHO, the font size is fine...quite beautiful too. Obviously it's smaller than the older phones but for me it's still readable.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

pj98 wrote:

Please update to PR1.2 when available, it contains some changes to improve the readability of the UI texts.

the fonts in pr1.2 are smaller than pr1.1.

it is not so much that they are actually "smaller" as the css files in the device show them being the same, with exception to the lockscreens (those were made smaller), but the issue is more with the font style that they changed it to.

someone go and grab a wp7.5 device and then hold your nokia n9 on pr1.2 next to it.  the fonts are closer in likeness now unlike the pr1.1.

so the new fonts are a "thinner" look to them, making them seem smaller.  but they are more "crisp"

I changed my fonts to script, and even with the settings in pr1.2, they are the same as pr1.1, so it is the font, and not the "size"

:smileyhappy:

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.