Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N9 International Version: How to determine Cou...

Sage
Accepted Solution

N9 International Version: How to determine Country?

Sorry, I have another question about an N9 purchase.

Several vendors have the N9 for sale in the US. All, International version, all unlocked.

My question is, are these phones keyed/produced for a certain country? If so, can you know this in advance? Can you change the default language or control which updates are applied? (I don't want to get a Cyrillic alphabet, or Turkish language set) :smileytongue: (no offense intended to Russians, Greeks, or Turks).

Or, is Unlocked International generic in nature and country/languages are set during initial setup?

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Sage
InvinsibleSach

Re: N9 International Version: How to determine Country?

Want to find your Nokia mobile phone’s country of origin? You can find your Nokia mobile phone’s country of origin/assemble with only knowing your phone’s IMEI number. IMEI number is a unique number for a mobile phone. If you don’t know your IMEI number, Dial *#06# to find it.
Although you can find your IMEI number on the sticker under the phone battery, it’s not always correct. So you better dial the code which I mentioned above. Because of IMEI number is unique identification number for a mobile phone, you will never find 2 mobile phones with the same IMEI number.

IMEI number has 15 digits (15 numbers). In these 15 digits, we pay our attention to 7th and 8th digits of our IMEI number

If your 7th and 8th digits are, 01 or 10 or 91 or 19 or 70 or 07, your Nokia mobile phone’s country of origin/assemble is Finland.
If your 7th and 8th digits are, 08 or 80, your Nokia mobile phone’s country of origin/assemble is Hungary.
If your 7th and 8th digits are, 02 or 20 your Nokia mobile phone’s country of origin/assemble is German.
If your 7th and 8th digits are, 04 or 40 your Nokia mobile phone’s country of origin/assemble is China.
If your 7th and 8th digits are, 05 or 50 your Nokia mobile phone’s country of origin/assemble is Brazil or USA or Finland.
If your 7th and 8th digits are, 06 or 60 your Nokia mobile phone’s country of origin/assemble is Hong Kong or China or Mexico.

Eg:- If your IMEI number is 123456089512345, “0” is the 7th digit and “8” is the 8th digit. According to above mentioned details, your mobile phone’s country of origin/assemble is Finland.

This is a best way to find out where your Nokia mobile phone was made. If you are going to by a new Nokia mobile phone, try this simple way and find out your Nokia mobile phone is original or not.

****Please note that, this method is only correct for Nokia mobile phones which made after year 2004.

If this post helps plz accept as a solution and hit the white star
Owned Nokia 5110, Nokia 8210, Nokia 8250, Nokia 6610, Nokia 6820, Nokia 9500, Nokia E50, Nokia 8800 , Nokia E71, Nokia N91 4 GB, Nokia N95, Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia N97, iPhone 3GS & finally Nokia N900,Nokia X6, Nokia E55, BB BOLD 9700, iphone 4, Nokia N8; BB Pearl 9100, HTC Legend, & Now Nokia N9. (N900 is the Best)
Please use plain text.
Sage

Thank you. Maybe I was not clear. I don't care where it was made. I care where it was intended to be sold. So, when I buy an N9 phone in the US, will it matter if the phone was inteded for sale in Middle East, or Asia? Since it will be unlocked, should I be concerned? Or, is this a non-issue?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Catacang

InvinsibleSach, are you 100% sure this method is reliable?
I'm just asking because my IMEI has the 04 digits, so accordingly to your method it is "made in China" but the sticker in the box with the IMEI also says clearly "made in Finland".
Please use plain text.
Advisor
imaginaryenemy

I am in the US and I bought my Swiss counrty variant in Chicago.  It prompted me for my region when first setting up the phone and it has been without fault since.  You should be fine.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

I want to thank you all for your feedback. I called my carrier, T-Mo-USA and made an inquiry on different phones. Interestingly, there was no push of Lumia (which I would not have been interested in), but because I have been a customer so long, offered me a deal on the Samsung Galaxy SII. I figured for $300 less than I would pay for a Nokia N9, which is a end of life phoneI would take the bait and go with Samsung/Google.

Not thrilled with the move, but $$$ counts. And I thought carefully about future support, availability of upgrades, and the general availability of applications.

Just as Nokia stock has been punished lately with the Lumia 900 news, I chose not to invest further in Nokia. Sadly, and I really loved my C6-01, that was my last Nokia phone.

5300, 5800, X6, C6-01, Samsung Galaxy SII

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Sage
winny

[ Edited ]

In my opinion a wrong decision :smileywink:

Of course $300 less is a winning criteria... but with the N9 you would have a new mobile experience and even the SGS II and iPhone users who I know are impressed....

Now you have just a boring SGS II.... :smileywink:

And I am also confident that the end of life is far away in the future.... MeeGo is still somewhere in the Nokia labs and it was already announced that Nokia is working on new MeeGo Smartphones:

http://www.netbooknews.com/47197/nokia-working-on-two-new-low-end-meego-smartphones/

/winny

Please use plain text.
Sage

I appreciate the reply.

I read the article. Meego will be for "low end" phones to possibly replace S40. It's a lot of speculation. But, it said nothing about the future development of High end phones or the N9 or any successors. Nokia's own roadmap shows a dead end for Symbian (now with Accenture). Not sure about Meego.

I see the N9 as a collector's item and it may actually be quite a valuable one in mint condition someday. A lot depends on Nokia's future success with M$ phone.

As I said, T-Mo made me an offer I could not refuse (well, no one put a gun to my head :smileyhappy:), and while I am not an "app-happy" person, the market and ecosystem is robust. The only thing I know I won't like is the cruft operators always put on their phones versus unlocked.

But again, it was a largely financial decision on my part. Thank you again for the article.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
pinkfloyd1971

If your 7th and 8th digits are, 01 or 10 or 91 or 19 or 70 or 07, your Nokia mobile phone’s country of origin/assemble is Finland.
If your 7th and 8th digits are, 08 or 80, your Nokia mobile phone’s country of origin/assemble is Hungary.

Eg:- If your IMEI number is 123456089512345, “0” is the 7th digit and “8” is the 8th digit. According to above mentioned details, your mobile phone’s country of origin/assemble is Finland.

If it is 08 it should be Hungary and not Finland

Please use plain text.