Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N9 PR1.2; Video Calling?

Counsellor
Patje1968
Accepted Solution

N9 PR1.2; Video Calling?

Anyone knows where or how te establish video-calls on N9? With the PR1.2 update it should be possible but untill now i haven't found any option to make video-calls, the Skype-app doesn't help either.

N8-Wizard !!! Click the white star if you are happy with my help !!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mikhaal_6

Re: N9 PR1.2; Video Calling?

It's unfortunate, I've been disappointed to see no video call choice as the update notification came with video call support note.

Anyone to solve this problem or is that an official "faux"?..

Please use plain text.
pilisopa

no video call with pr 1.2 

Please use plain text.
apostate

With my old N900 I could only make skype video calls to devices that had skype video themselves. Since my wife's computer didn't have a camera - I got no video option while skyping her.My mother's computer had a camera - making a video calls to her was possible. Maybe it's the same with N9?

Please use plain text.
Sage
wdexplorer

On a feeds screen I saw a note saying something like that video call option is available now.  But now I can't figure how to enable it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
amd1711

Where's the video call, I can not find the option is not supported?

Please use plain text.
Sage
wdexplorer

[ Edited ]
I have no other words than to call it fraud. First they put a CLEARLY VISIBLE front facing camera, which doesn't work. Then they release update saying video calls are now supported and it is still not. I wonder what these guys in Nokia are thinking? And noone in Nokia suggests any explanation of W*T**F is going on, but they will still comment on my use of inappropriate words. Sorry Nokia for using this word, but you also have to apologize for telling lies to your consumers.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Hambert

[ Edited ]

I agree 100% with wdexplorer. They announced it in the changelog, so where the S IT THEN? Its really a shame, and I hope the developing team will read this.

3g videocall is a feature almost mandatory in a phone with front camera and 3G certified connection.

And let's say its just "support" for 3rd party developers. So WHY would you post it in A CONSUMER DEVICE UPDATE?? This IS NOT the Nokia N950, wich is a dev device!! Is USELESS to a regular consumer this kind of announce.

Check the attached pic, it's really a shame.

Moderators notes: Profanity removed.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
buzzonme

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert

Sorry, N9 PR1.2 has support for video call but it's not yet available. We will soon provide more information about the video call.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Patje1968

Hi all, just had response from Nokia Care Benelux about the video call issue. The PR 1.2 was just preparing the N9 for video calling with the G-Talk app wich will soon be updated and be available in Nokia Store.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nomz

This is great news. Lets wait for GTalk app to be available on Nokia Store.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mikhaal_6

I do agree with wdexplorer too; it's non of end-users' concern to have video call via such third party app as gtalk.

If it was notified on release notes, it should have been provided in first place by Nokia, not by Google or else.

It's obvious that this will rock the fame of Nokia once again...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
haapo

The updated Gtalk is now available. I haven't tested it yet though but installed it anyway.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert

As noted above, the video call feature for N9 PR1.2 should now be available via the "Gtalk Video Call" application that can be downloaded from Nokia Store.

After the installation, activate the Gtalk account in Accounts > Google > Google Talk, if not already active. Then go to phonebook and select a contact with Gtalk account. Only those contacts that have the capability for video call will show the option for video calling. You can initiate the call straight from there.

Please use plain text.
shinobishaw

i installed the application after which the phone rebooted. However there is a message that states that  " there was a problem launching this item". I have already upgraded my firmware to PR1.2. and reinstalled this application twice.  Please help.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Patje1968

Hi all, just installed 'Gtalk Video Calls' from the Nokia Store onto two N9's. It took me some time getting all the right settings on Google Account. Once i had it all right the video-calling on the N9's works great. It fully integrates into the systems Contacts, Messages and Recent Calls. Good work Nokia !!!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Patje1968

Had this problem to one one of my N9 devices, this problem was solved after rebooting the device. Hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
shinobishaw

Indeed, the advice helped. Thanks a lot!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

Installed the app and got video call option, phone restarted without any notification, a small pop-up information would have been nice there, nevertheless it works.Posted a small screenshot how it actually looks on twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/krizanand/status/175158448407838720

What about video calling via Operator 3G? was expecting that when I updated mine to PR1.2, honestly, hope that update is in pipeline. Skype video calling is a bonus if it ever comes.

Overall very satisfied with PR1.2, nice additons. Well done! N9 team.

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.