Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N9 Photo Gallery sort order - based on what?

Contributor
Accepted Solution

N9 Photo Gallery sort order - based on what?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am thrilled with my N9, but have one problem: I want to use the phone to keep not only photos made with it. I therefore saved extra photos in the Pictures folder. They appear in the gallery, but in a weird order, not based on either the name, EXIF date, modification date or creation date. Is there a possibility to sort them on either of these? All I want is to control the sort order. After all, it is MY gallery... :smileyhappy:

On my previous phone (N8) sorting was based on the last modification date. Also not optimal (EXIF date would have been perfect) but still controllable.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

N9 doesn't have sort option with in the gallery app. I see in 'latest one first' order. You can favorite a image/photo within the gallery. If you tag images you can filter it by tags.

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thank you for your answer. "Latest one first" is perfect, but based on which date? Because it is not the EXIF date, nor the last modified date. The first picture listed is one more than a year old, while several pictures are much newer. The newest picture (based on EXIF and last modification date) is found... somewhere... to the middle of the bunch...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

Just tested it by copying random images taken last year, in pictures folder, connected N9 in mass storage mode. Opened gallery and the images were sorted by month/year, when I scrolled sideways I could see those images in 2011, not on top of the list.

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well, maybe those pictures were never edited outside the phone, I don't know.

Anyway, I believe I found the explanation: I exported the photos from Picasa, maxing them to a resolution of 1600xXXX. This way all files were created... today. Nevertheless the EXIF information is correctly saved by Picasa, so Date Image Taken was preserved. Although I modified in all files the creation date to be equal to EXIF Date Image Taken (ACDSee/batch/AdjustTimeStamp) , and then also renamed all pictures based on that, the "new" creation date still remains saved somewhere in the picture files and the Gallery sorts the pictures on it! The pictures were sorted in the reversed order I exported them from Picasa... Bad.

Anyway, since this is not a request forum, it would be futile to say (again) that Nokia should use the EXIF Date Picture Taken for picture sorting. So I don't say it (!).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
smcsa

[ Edited ]

EXIF data can be removed (i.e. IrfanView), so, maybe Nokia thinks that the only common denominator remain file date and time stamp.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I agree that EXIF can be removed (or can be missing from the start if we are talking about... a screen capture) but any other date can be used as a fallback, if there is no EXIF.

With the current solution, any picture that is exported today from photoshop after applying a filter gets position number one, even if the photo is from 1999...

Please use plain text.