Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N9 with external GPS working?

CaCO3

N9 with external GPS working?

Hi all

Has somebody ever used the N9 with an external GPS device?

I am thinking to buying an external dedicated GPS receiver which will send the NMEA 0183 data over bluetooth to my N9 .According to the N9 specs this should work.

How ever I took my N900 and started the app "columbus" to emulate a GPS device. My android devices work finde to use it as external GPS device, how ever the N9 seems to to be able to use it. It connects fine and registers the N900 as the external GPS device. How ever it is not able to show any GPS data. In some apps, it even tries to use the internal GPS.

Now, before I buy an expensive external GPS device, could somebody confirm this works with a real GPS device?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@CaCO3

Can confirm that N9 works very well with my SIRF StarIII Nokia LD-3W Bluetooth GPS receiver!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
CaCO3

Hi aspergerguy

Thank you for your reply!
This encouraging, since the LD-3W also uses the official NMEA 0183 standard.

DId you have to do any special settings on the N9 beside setting the GPS device to the external device? I.e. switching the 2 toggle switchs in the settings off?

Also, does the GPS icon on top stay steady on or is it flashing (which IMHO would mean it still tries to use the internal GPS receiver?).
Can all apps handle the external GPS signal? I.e. what show the apps GePeS or gpsmeefo?

Since I primarly would need it for geocaching, it especially would need to work with cacheme for N9 (http://store.ovi.com/content/219788).

Thank you very much for your feedback!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

CaCO3 wrote:

DId you have to do any special settings on the N9 beside setting the GPS device to the external device? I.e. switching the 2 toggle switches in the settings off? No

Will try to address some of the other queries raised when I have a bit more time although, as CacheMe is a paid application http://store.ovi.com/content/160806 I won't be installing it to try out for you. For GPS MeeFo and GePeS however, I should be able to report back whether "the GPS icon on top stay steady on or is it flashing"

Please use plain text.
CaCO3

Dear aspergerguy

Thanks for your willingness to help.
Last night I decided to go ahead and buy the Qstarz BT-Q818XT anyway. Since I am also running Android (Nitdroid project) on my N9, I have an alternative OS on which it should work for sure.

About CacheMe: I am sorry I didnt realise the link got brocken. The correct one is http://store.ovi.com/content/219788 .
This is the free version for the N9. The one you saw is the payed version for the Symbian OS.

Also, as a thank you, if you are interested in any of the non free apps listed on http://store.ovi.com/publisher/George%20Ruinelli/ please let me know! Since I am the author, I can send you the files for free.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@CaCO3

Not very scientific but here are my observations as have only used Bluetooth GPS with Nokia Maps and GPSMeeFo previously so installed GePeS and CacheMe as well:-

Chose Bluetooth receiver and here are screenshots from GPS MeeFo & GePeS:

This doesn't tell whole story as connection using GPS MeeFo seems stable with satellite icon staying steady although with GePeS it starts flashing after a short period although visible upon screenshot. Whilst not familiar with CacheMe it does appear to show correct location in url heading.

I did find that after closing either GePeS or CacheMe connectivity with Bluetooth GPS is unobtainable again, until you switch back to "Internal GPS" in "Settings" and then re-choose Bluetooth GPS. As previously mentioned as I use only Nokia Maps or GPS MeeFo this situation has never arisen before and may or may not make sense to you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SymbianSimian

You obviously know what you are doing ( running android on N9, just HAVING an N900 ). So I am just curious why you can't use the build in GPS, I find it works very well even in areas with no data connection. Also, why android on an N9, I love swype and just wish I could put it on 808 :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

SymbianSimian wrote:
So I am just curious why you can't use the build in GPS, I find it works very well even in areas with no data connection. 

Perhaps there is an issue with my N9 GPS but as have used Nokia LD-3W with numerous Nokia devices I tend to always use it when travelling in vehicle!

Please use plain text.