Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N9

Counsellor
JavierSantoyo

N9

The new N9 looks great, I'll be happy if my N8 could migrate to that mee-go Os but I guess that just won't happen (sad face).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
bandofbrothers

Re: N9

Hi,

The n900 may be able to !

The n8 wont I dont think.

I dont want to sound downbeat but its yet another Nokia new release with a limited shelf life !

When I go visit local cellfone shops im tending to now look at other makes of handsets, and to be honest I dont want to migrate from Nokia, as they have served me well over the years.

Nokia Lumia 1020
iphone 5s16gb - black/slate

Be happy !!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

The N9 looks good on paper, as did the N8 but the N8 has become an epic failure for Nokia mainly down to slow updates. Will the N9 suffer the same?

Nokia N9 on Engadget

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Sage
lillracksingen

There's no interest in MeeGo from developers. So you will have a phone with no apps. And probably killed as quickly as the N900.

Why would anyone want a phone with anything except iOS or Android? Windows Phone, WebOS, Bada OS, Symbian^3 and MeeGo will die from lack of interest from consumers and developers.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Most probably. Reports suggest the N9 will be Nokia's first and last MeeGo device, so what is the point of the N9 then?

Here is another video demonstrating MeeGo in action.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

As ive heard from many today the N9 is dead before its even born.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Sage
cecampbell

The N9 looks great and it seems it will be a semi-finished product before WP7.  Plus, because of the portability of symbian apps to meego due to QT, there is the potential that a lot of apps will be available.  It certainly raises some questions in my mind for the reasons behind the commitment to WP7.  Of course I have believed that Symbian could have evolved into a modern platform capable of going head-to-head with Apple & Google.  But if as the analysts have said, Symbian is too far behind to compete, then what was the problem with meego?  I personally love the idea of Meego and cringe at the thought of having to use an MS os or even worse, moving to the overly controlled and often big-brother-like Google or Apple platforms.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

WP7 is starting to gain numbers of developers. Not to mention that there are developers with existing contracts with Nokia to make apps for them.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

For the record, I dont even think the N9 is a consumer phone. The MeeGo OS isnt really for mass consumption. Its more of a hacker's pleasure, a developer oriented OS. Its too Geeky, even more than any other OS out there.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
tigerm47

I like having things that most other people don't have. Even my N8 people always say wow what is that. Besides the N9 os looks the best I've seen. I've had a android, blackberry, iphone, bb was my favorite.

I think N9 is the best Nokia device yet, I'm defitnetly interested in getting it.
Please use plain text.
Sage
cecampbell

I don't know... "hacker's pleasure" "developer oriented OS" "too Geeky"  Sounds good to me.  I think a lot of people would really get behind something so powerful, customizable & geeky.  There are users who actually benefit from the capabilities of a smartphone and who want to be able to constantly push the limits.  Those who want to wow their friends with farting and burping apps will always have the iPhone and Android models.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Its good if you would be willing to develop your own apps for it. If you would be relying on professional developers for your own apps, you're in for a nasty surprise with MeeGo, unless it sells well. Personally, MeeGo is better as a tablet OS rather than iOS or Android, but worse as a phone OS for mass consumption.
Please use plain text.
Sage
cecampbell

Yes, the availability of apps will be the biggest problem but in the near future, won't there be apps simply because of the ease of porting them over from Symbian^3?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Personally I think the N9 will go down the same route as the N900. As Chanchan said, it's a geeks phone.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

It would again depend upon ease of compatibility. The original plan was that S^4 and MeeGo apps would be cross compatible, however there would be no more S^4, and S^4 developments would be pushed to S^3 devices as OS updates. So its not really S^3 anymore but just "Symbian". I have no knowledge how much they have achieved regarding cross compatibility, but if they have cross compatible Qt packages and API's, then maybe right now Symbian apps are possible. But that's a big IF.
Please use plain text.
Sage
chromecat

I evaluated the Meego netbook version 1.2. It is quite streamlined, innovative and user-friendly Though it is built on Linux, it does not look like a Linux distro. Meego does not feel more geeky than Android. 

Still, it has some annoying quirks and undeveloped parts needs to be fixed. Assuming the phone UI is in a more matured stage, Nokia devs still have to put in a lot of effort to build and maintain a competitive system.

The N9 is the first good news to be heard about Nokia in a few months, and I'd like to be positive about it. The device has a good design and an innovative UI, but the current uncertainity about Meego discourages developers, and without apps this phone is fish without water.

The question is whether Meego a real migration path from Symbian or just marketing fodder until more Microkia phones are ready to be shipped?

Nokia Lumia 520 3046.0000.1329.2001 RM-914
Nokia Asha 302 V15.09 22-05-13 RM-813
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

From what I've seen on the web today, I think the N9 will sell quite well, and app conversion from Symbian^3 to Meego, using QT is supposed to be extremely easy. As for dead before it being launched, if it works as well as it appears to, it should keep a few thousand people happy for two or three years, how many people keep there phone much longer than that ? looks simple and intuitive to use and works quickly, if carriers offer ot , it will sell :smileyhappy:

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

yes i must agree, it has a promise for a average user of a good user experience, with a great screen, speed and a nice cam, plus the package look really solid. i think it might win few thousand hearts at least :smileywink:
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
bandofbrothers

[ Edited ]

Take a look at Ovi app's as they have jumped on the ' lets provide burp and airhorn apps too' bandwagon !

Rolls eyes.

The iphone 4 aint for kids, it priced way too high !!

MODERATOR'S NOTE:  We would like to inform you that we have edited your post. Please refrain from using inappropriate words  for us to maintain a friendly environment on this public forum

Nokia Lumia 1020
iphone 5s16gb - black/slate

Be happy !!
Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

i like the idea of the 3 screens and especially the multitasking

the problem is will have enought apps
i guess it will because are qt so should be fine and same with the symbian anna or now s3

i have read in a blog that will support native android apps

what is this native apps???thanks
Please use plain text.