Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N900: All telephony functions are disabled and...

N900: All telephony functions are disabled and No IMEI

Hello,

Few days ago I had the following error for my Nokia N900:

"All telephony functions, including emergency calls, are disabled due to a communication error. To recover, you might have to reboot the device".

Of course, reboot didn't help. Also when you try to look up for IMEI there is NO IMEI in phone (neither in system->About nor using *#06#).

Also it is not SIM issue as SIM works fine in my old E65.

After some research from different newgroups it seems quite common issue for N900 and in most cases the only solution was a new phone from nokia after sending for repair. As my phone is just out of the warranty (1 year, 2 month) I would want to receive some answer from Nokia representives:

1) If there is some solution for this issue (besides new phone)

2) if not - Does Nokia really suppose this is normal issue?

3) if not - why there was no recall for N900 and replacement for this specific hardware issue.

I really don't believe that this is normal behavior for 700$ phone as now it seems only very expensive WiFi device.

Regards,

Andris

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
markarman

Re: N900: All telephony functions are disabled and No IMEI

Hi,

I have exactly the same message appearing on my phone. Did you have any luck in resolving the issue?

Does anyone else experience this?

I agree that for such an expensive device a new replacement phone is not really an acceptable option.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
johny8765

I have the exact same problem. It started on May 11th. I'm on T-Mobile in Northern California.

I'm curious how many other people have experienced this. Maybe a bad firmware push?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Da_502

Hi

Did you try flashing the device?

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
johny8765

Yes, reflashed and no change.

One thing to note is that from time to time when I restart the phone I get connection for about a minutes and then it drops again.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Da_502

The same problem happens when you install NITDroid...

On NITDroid the telephony functions of some networks have the issue..

Do you have a memory card inserted in the device?

If so, take it out and see if that helps.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

i had a replacement devicd do something similar and a flash wouldn't solve it...

if a flashing your device doesn't solve an issue, then it has to go in for a repair.

however, sometimes restoring a back up actually restores more than meets the eye so try flashing and not restoring a back up, its painfull trying to remember what apps you had and getting everything set up the way you had it but it has to be done sometimes.

its also worth keeping an old back up from when you've just flashed and re set up your device so you atleast have something to get you going again

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
johny8765

OK, I tried both - reflashing without restoring back up and no flash card in it - still not working.

I guess I have to send it for repair... Do they even repair those things? It will prbably cost as much as a new phone... and no, I'm not buying another N900 for just a few months before N950 comes out... I might have to switch to an Android device and possibly a Motorola... uf...

Any ideas on how aproach Nokia?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

are you still under warrenty, or is it insured?

they should repair it still but if you're gonna have to pay alot then its down to you

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
johny8765

No, warranty is out... I just bought a refurbished one for $200... I'm waiting for the n950... if I get dissapointed with it this will be the last Nokia phone I get for log time...

Thanks everyone!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Juanktle

Same problem with my 1 year + 3 months device. Wondering how smart would be to buy another high-end device from Nokia after this. Seems like a very common trouble with no solution from manufacturer.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
zobsairbash

Same problem here too guys... This too happend 1yr an 2months after purchase.. After checking out this Discussion page I can see so many people have got the same problem.. I cant afford a new mobile after buying an Expensive Nokia N900.  Nokia has to take responsibily for this inconvenience..

Or atlest Please show Us a solution for this problem...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
juanktle2

Even if can afford there's no much sense in paying over 500$ for a 1 year durable phone, besides new devices are very far from what Nokia N900 is. I think if there's no solution to this I'll end up looking for an alternative, which as said isn't a symbian device

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JamesKomninos

I have exactly the same issue.  When I switch on it sometimes connects and is able to make calls but after a few minutes it no longer is able to receive or make calls and displays the same message as everyone else.   Suggests I reboot.. WiFi and everything else works fine.

The exact message is:

"All telephony functions including emergency calls are disabled due to a communication error. To recover, you might have to reboot the device."

NOKIA   HELP.  HELP...  HELP.......

If I do not find a solution to this I will never buy a NOKIA again. 

There should have been a recall on these N900.  Obviously poor build quality.

This just started a few days ago for no obvious reason.  Nothing has happened to the phone.that could have caused this.

Please use plain text.
atif4u_1

I am also having the same issue...please post some solution guys.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
espada1

Count me in..I real dont understand whats going on  exactly.I think this is cronic problem for n900..Yesterday i gave to nokia care my n900..Also my phone out of warrant too..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mike20503

Yeah this phone  is more effort than it can possibly be worth............

Please use plain text.
Advisor
robcompton

Mine started this two days ago. However, I am in Europe, and we have a 2yr warranty, with mine being 1yr 6months old.

UPS are picking it up tomorrow - I'll put a note in asking them to check/repair the USB port while they're at it as they have a habit of falling off too.

It's a great device, and it's the longest I've had *one* phone since I had a 6310i ten years ago!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lsolano

Nothing to add that has not already said.

I've flashed my phone to factory default (fiasco+combined) and nothing helps.

Hoping here for any advide, thanks!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
khristi80

[ Edited ]

i've had the same problem....i've sent it a week ago to cpw...it's still under warranty...i'll post here what will be the solution....i'll bet will be a new one......3rd...'cause after 6 months it was replaced with a new one due to 'corrupt memory' issue....this 2nd phone had 13 months

good bussines for nokia....3 phones for the price of one :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.