Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N900 How Do I take up a Back-Up in an CD !

Counsellor
rabraham
Accepted Solution

N900 How Do I take up a Back-Up in an CD !

I have a N900 I want to take a back-up of my SmS and Contacts in an external device maybe a CD or something. Can someone please help me how can I do that ?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
John_Tesla

Hello rabraham,

You should be able to make a backup using Nokia suite. It will then ask you where you want to save the backup file. From there you can simply copy the file to an external source.

Note that the file extension is an (.mbu) file.

Just make sure you use the same file when restoring by pasting it again in the folder location used originally by Nokia Suite and then hit restore.

Hope this helps you.

John_Tesla

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
kingblue

To elaborate on my colleague's reply:

So if you want to put a backup on a CD, you can first save it into a folder on your harddisk, and then use your favorite cd burning software to put it on a CD(RW), or other external medium.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rabraham

So I can take a download of my Phone (Messages also ? after I download Nokia Suite is that what you are saying ? and Connect my phone to it Via USB ?
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
kingblue

That's right.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rabraham

Ok I have taken a Back-Up of my N900 using Nokia Suite now the Back up file reads as "N900 (PC-Suite Mode)_2011-12-01.nbu"  I hope, I have done it correctly. I just had one question what is this .nbu format, is it compatible with all the other phones. Say for e.g I want to Restore this data on some other Brand phone like say Samsung, Motorola or HTC will this my saved Data be uploaded on any other Brand phone now that I have the back up file. But what do I about this .nbu format. Will I have to convert it to some other format while uploading it in some other Brand's phone.

is the .nbu format only a Nokia readable format ?

Please use plain text.