Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N900, How to check firmware, and send operator...

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

N900, How to check firmware, and send operator commands

Good day to you all,

i recently got my N900 from a Nokia Store (Monday 23rd), i am living in UAE, Dubai 

i would appreciate if someone could answer these 2 questions:

1- how do i check which firmware do i have (usualy in Symbian *#0000#) 
2- when i dial *121* which is a service command to check my balance it gives me a wrong phone number, so is there any way to send these commands (maybe in terminal?)

thank you all 
Az. At.
IT Support Engineer
DED
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: N900, How to check firmware, and send operator commands

Hallo,

Go to Settings, scroll down to and select About Product   (in the General group)

(To go to Settings : press the icon in the top left corner  twice)

About product will show you the Version number, your WLAN MAC address, the Bluetooth address and the phones IMEI.

Enjoy 

Please use plain text.
Sage
cns18

Operator commands currently are not working. you will have to dial 121 to check your balance.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

thank you mate

i know about 121, but its just an example, there are many other commands, most important to me is the one for transferring credit *100*.....#

no work around for that ? 

Az. At.
IT Support Engineer
DED
Please use plain text.
Sage
cns18

I know, looking around for a workaround for the transferring credit thing...but no luck so far...I guess this must be a temporary state for maemo so in future lets hope this is added...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

i am keeping my other phone with me just for credit transfer i cannot depend on the n900 alone without this future, even the 121 i never dialed it i always use *121# (also *121*1# for free credit, *121*4# for international),

other issue is arabic keypad, u can download ukeyboard from extras-testing packages on maemo.org to use a virtual Arabic keypad (and other languages), so Arabic support is no issue for me

any other issues i face i will be posting in Discussions 

Az. At.
IT Support Engineer
DED
Please use plain text.
Sage
naser_2200

when i look at N900, i remember the first iphone which had good face but no ability. 
Please use plain text.
Sage
TRDN900

salam

1 . u should know n900 is not running on symbian anymore so that means no more nokia codes this needs common sence for those who knows to use mobile.

2. etisalat has problem and they don.t patch the n900with network. that means no MMS no mobile TV nodata package and no network codes. agaian common sence need here.

phone is perfect no problems. i am uesing it in dubai for month now

just wait for etisalatto release the setting. or sell the phone

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

1-  really?? Nokia N900 (the Linux Maemo OS device) doesn't run on Symbian??!! World is full of surprises

have some common sense your self !! and btw this is not a "mobile", this is the first of Nokia tablet devices (such as the N800) with phone functionality added to it,

2- MMS is not supported from the OS itself, got nothing to do with Etisalat, and no data package you say? then i must be special to have the only Nokia N900 that uses the data package to browser internet with my 1GB 3G data package from Etisalat (amazing ya), and third network codes are not supported from the OS, the OS tell you "wrong phone number" and not passing anything to Etisalat

what brought you here in the first place, go educate yourself before replying

salam 

Az. At.
IT Support Engineer
DED
Please use plain text.
Sage
TRDN900

i came here to teach u educate guy how to use mobile,N900 it is not running in symbian,and u can not install SIS file .as u said LINUX Maemo 5, where is the symbian word here?.......LINUX is OS itself.

world always have suprose for u , this is not my problem.

MMS is not support by OS,every body know that. but can i know what etisalat don't have the settiong for N900 when i call them and i went there they told me N900 is not patched yet with network.

Data packeage i used also but check the setting of ur date package in the mobile ducate man.(amazing ya)

the code from etisalat is not OS problem, this phone launched in all the world and different network, no body has problem with network coed , again we come back here etisalt has problem with N900 ,

why u don't do one thing just go and check with them., ask etisalat why u can not use network coed, and i am sure he will answer u back " sir u r phone has problem kindly check with nokia " and u like educate person will say ya, mameo 5 has problem u r right ,  Come ON it is not correct,

and if u notice i got the mobile before u even think about paying for pre order.

so chill and i know and u know always what ever luanch new in ur surprise world has missing something.nothing can be compelet by first luanch, still new VER is comieng and Maemo 6 also comeing, do u want to fight with me over that upcomeing software also.

have nice day and still i will be around , remmber words don't have feeling,   

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
friedbrains

morphine_18 wrote:
Good day to you all,

i recently got my N900 from a Nokia Store (Monday 23rd), i am living in UAE, Dubai 

i would appreciate if someone could answer these 2 questions:

1- how do i check which firmware do i have (usualy in Symbian *#0000#) 
2- when i dial *121* which is a service command to check my balance it gives me a wrong phone number, so is there any way to send these commands (maybe in terminal?)

thank you all 

which nokia store did you get it from?  i am in dubai

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

"i came here to teach u educate guy how to use mobile,N900 it is not running in symbian,and u can not install SIS file .as u said LINUX Maemo 5, where is the symbian word here?.......LINUX is OS itself."

lol, go look up the meaning of sarcasm, i should have stated that i am being sarcastic, but thought it was too obvious for anyone with logic to notice!! so again, my point 1, was sarcasm, which means i am making fun of you stating the very obvious fact of Nokia N900 not using symbian, which i believe many people know

MMS is not even in the OS, there is noooo MMS, there is noooo settings for MMS because it simply DOES NOT EXIST, and Etisalat (the person you asked) doesn't know a thing like you

and CODES are commands sent from the phone to the network and then the network gives you a reply or an answer, when u dial *121# you are sending a command to the network that answers you back with how much balance you have, soooooo  howwwwwwwwwww would Etisalat commands work if THEY ARE NOT RECIEVING ANY FROM THE N900, the N900 itself saying wrong phone number and not sending any, how many times i have to say this, don't you get it

i don't want to check with them because they simply doesn't know a thing, alot of Nokia stores employees wouldn't know deep technical details about the N900 too, Working there doesn't make you know everything, you simply WORK there

and so you got your N900 a month or two before, please take some more time and read about the device, i have been using it for days and knows better than you, 

and ya this is not the first lunch, Maemo exists years before the N900

and i am not fighting with you, i am simply proving that you don't know what you are talking about

Az. At.
IT Support Engineer
DED
Please use plain text.
Sage
TRDN900

woooowww  hard work from u buddy, good job. u r right , nokia is bad and mameo is suck, No MMS no network code what ever u r saying is right.... i am not working in Nokia store , coz i will stupied like them.... i was lucky got mobile very very early . i read about it , i test it, million times, and i will spend some more times to kow my N900. promise u don't worry.

for ur information i don't why i can use etisalat codes like the one u trying to use  and check ur creadit or use blance transfer.

ur the one for this time to know about it more, and maybe will be come perfect in this ... or 100% sure u will be come.

at end no heart feeling so i was not educated like u.

have fun

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

who told you Maemo sucks, i have used iphone and google g1 android, by far this is the best OS big time, i am currently typing this on my N900, and ya i envy you ,you are very very lucky to get yours early, i have been waiting for this device from 2 months it was like my morning coffee every morning i check any news about it and when it will be availible, kinda was obsessed with it, they just need to improve the phone funcionality, rest of the OS by far the best i tried. they will fix all these issues in future updates i am sure, i dont mind dialing 121, but for nokia, symbian is a full mature OS, they need to implement some of its phone functionlity in Maemo

no hard feelings

tc

Az. At.
IT Support Engineer
DED
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Coming from an iphone and a G1 too. This phone blows both of them away. Great blend of customization (like the G1) and really cool interface (iphone) and much more functional. Thank god it came out and I did not have to change carriers just to go to Droid. This is much nicer than the Droid too.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

well ppl here starting 2 discuss if da fone is worth while or not ... lets pull bak a bit here ... how do we cheak da firmware and send operator commands .... ive been planing 2 buy da n900 (im currently an iphone user) n deir is no dout in my mind dat meamo5 is far more speriour den iphon os x ... but sending operater command on da n900 is currently no possible(apprently).

if we have 2 wait for an firmwear update how long do we have 2 wait for ... aldow dese command is not dat important to me ... it would be nice 2 have da option ... so if ne one knows, if da new update will make dat possible n when will it be realsed please advise

FYI .... for most fone .... da dialpad is like command prompt ... dats y most "*" functions r "commanded" from da dail pad it self .... but meamo5 isnt like dat ... hence Xterminal is preinstalled ....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

never trust a syrian or a symbian

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

you can start first by learning to type in English not in non-sense

what are you? a 12 year old wanna-be or what

Az. At.
IT Support Engineer
DED
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

this problem is with me also but i found n900 a really powerfull device if it has not this capability sooo what??? it is such a poerfull and fast device that overcame it now calls to service centre and checks my balance instead of typind *444#..
Please use plain text.
Sage
TRDN900

morphine :

it is ok relax, kind of kids, just daddy get him mobile or give him money and ask him to get mobile for him self.

bro:

first let us know what are u trying to say , coz i am stilling reading ur message and didn't get the point. here is not school or msn or yahoo messanger. talk they way every body talk here. 

for last time Etisalat commend will not work with current Mameo 5 software, read before u post any smart message.

take care boy

Please use plain text.

Hi morphine_18,

I live in the UAE as well.  May I know what settings you used to enable internet access in your N900?

Thanks in advance for your help.:manhappy:

Please use plain text.