Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N900 Operator lock on Sim free phone???

Counsellor
blackbagz

N900 Operator lock on Sim free phone???

[ Edited ]

Hi.

When you go into settings, at the very top bar there's a settings drop down button.  I have 3 options there:

1. Restore original settings
  2. Clear device
  3. Enter code to remove operator lock

Why would a sim free phone bought from a nokia retail outlet store have an operator lock? 

I received a txt message from vodafone back in june that said to restart the phone to receive updated vodafone sime menu service.  I dont know if it worked because i'm not sure where the sim menu is on the n900 but i'm curious if this is what has introduced the menu options above.

I should mention at this point that when i was in the US earlier this year, i was able to stop my phone looking for a gsm signal and concentrate on wifi only.  Now i can't seem to find an option to turn of gsm.  When selecting the network from the phone menu, i only get Dual, 3G and GSM.  i don't get the wifi option anymore, hence me asking if this operator lock has interfered with it

Has anyone else got this and if it wasn't vodaphone, what is this operator lock?

Thanks in advance

Bagz Rules :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

It is to remove the simlocks on a handset. But it's a generic menu across all product codes. If your handset is sim free, don't worry about this menu, you won't need it

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

what do you mean by no wifi option, its always there when you select internet connection in the drop down menu (where the time is displayed) providing its in range

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
blackbagz

Menu, Settings, Phone.  Under the Network section the Network Mode has Dual, 3G and GSM.  When i was in the US, i was able to select WIFI on this screen but it's not there anymore, meaning i was able to use my handset as an internet tablet and not worry about it trying to connect to a GSM telephony network.  Now travelling to another country in EU, i'm not able to see this option.  Maybe this is another thread question but i wondered if it was associated with what i though was a problem, if that makes sense(?)

Bagz Rules :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

[ Edited ]

Try this app from the Extras repository http://maemo.org/downloads/product/raw/Maemo5/cell-modem-ui?get_installfile (Cellular Modem Control Button).

It adds an option your power button menu that lets you enable Tablet mode. Switching off the phone radio but allowing Wlan and Bluetooth use

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

here's some stuff you can try without installing extra bits:

1) stop it using 3G/2G data, wlan only:

settings -> internet -> Connect automatically -> WLAN

It won't stop you manually connecting to 3g data (if you specifically select a 3G connection from the "internet connection" item on the desktop menu), but it won't do it by itself

2) Stop any/all GSM/3G activity

Easiest option, take the sim out! Instant tablet mode :smileyhappy: no GSM for data or calls!

Another trick is possible if your phone asks you for a SIN PIN number when you turn it on. There's skip button. If you press that rather than entering your PIN, the phone functionality is disabled If you try and make a call, it will ask you for your PIN again)

The Tablet mode switcher app is pretty neat, though :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.