Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N900 - What to do next

Advisor

N900 - What to do next

Ok you lot you need to help me out here.

When I first saw the N900 I went a bit geeky and wanted it, so saved my pennies and suffered the set backs of delays to my order. The big day comes on Friday and £500 passes hands at the West End Store.

So first things first - no MSN support - not major I can use the website if I want to.

Then a bit of googling and I come across amsn wonderful ... Msn (slow, but msn).

Encouraged I tried my work email on MfE - crushed (I have 2003 servers)

Back to maemo.org (the best website ever) and find that an update is due with it in and the developer putting is hands up - and I suppose I can use the OWA website.

Then the other half phones and ....... Broken MIC. S*%t!

Then I went to bed and cried just a little!

So Saturday morning came and the trek to the shop began and a lovely bloke called Adam exchanged it no questioned asked.

Back to reinstalling and transferring (a fun afternoon). Haze is great for MSN (go find it on maemo.org!

Then the battery went flat!

So here we are at Monday, widgets turned of. No push email and facebook by the touch site. OVI Files won't log in from the menu and I have to ask myself, despite it's obvious loveliness is it really working for me?? A 10hr battery life, no email or more importantly calendar and no flashy desktop cr*p that I thought was the crowning glory.

So boys and girls I have 4 days left - do I return it and walk away?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Re: N900 - What to do next

You are an early adopter, and as with most Nokia products, they're a bit **bleep** at the start..

I must admit, I've found it hard work using the N900 as a phone. A call drops out, it takes a number of actions before I can redial the number. I want to call the person who sent me a text message.. that's hard work too.. It isn't a great phone.. 

but we're on the first published firmware and as with the previous Maemo devices, I do expect it to get better and better..

That being said, I'd personally never said the N900 wouldn't be hard work to start with.. Promises of a new firmware around the end of the year are intriguing, but other than that, I guess it depends on how much you're prepared to live with at the moment..

Please use plain text.
Professor

Dump it, get N97 mini - All telephony functions 1000% better, social media apps and widgets work. Better e-mail client (profimail), gravity and great battery life.  V20 firmware is very good and a third firware update is ETA mid -december which will make the device even better. Less pain to deal with...

My plan was to move from my N97on AT&T to the N900 on T-moblie..  My hardware and software experience on the N900 has been flawless and the N97 experience made it easy for me to configure N900 so that it would not die in 3-4 hours.  My problem with the N900 is that the T-mobile network in the USA is horrible - zero bars sitting at my desk. which gets to the main criteria - does it work for you?

Put the 500 quid in the bank and hold on until mid -2010. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

On the subject of M4ex2K3 support, thats a biggy, theres a bug report in on that. Seeing most corporates like mine are still running Ex2K3 im pretty sure this will get fixed sharpish or my device will take 2nd spot to my BB for corporate email.

Unfortunatley this is a cutting edge device and most goliath companies spend years testing the latest messaging services before adopting. Im suprised Ex2K3 wasnt supported in the initial release... Most other phones in this sector like the droid etc work out of the box... fixed soon i hope

Please use plain text.
Advisor

heh and as per previous post suggesting dumping it for a 97mini,,, lol.

Not in the same league.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

You have to remember, the N900 isn't a flag ship device. All the code written on it is either from the ground up inside Nokia or an open library downloaded from somewhere on the net.. Not bad for a company that made tires..

The MFE problem is a bit rubish and some more development wok will get it fixed, I'm sure. Thing is, don't mistake this gadget for an enterprise phone. It just isn't there yet. There's no supported office app for this device, yet. K-office is just plain crazy and the comercial bundled app is a viewer only.

There's no bundled VPN stuff and the groupware support for any platform is in its infancy.

The Symbian handsets are still ahead in the enterprise stakes.. they may be lagging to the blackberrys of this world, but blackberrys started out 100% enterprise..

What'd be interesting would be an Maemo communicator.. something with a nicer keyboard and a heap more enterprise stuff.. but until the platform matures, it would be balancing fresh code on a new platform.. which is traditionally exactly what the enterprise steers well clear of... Why are all you enterprises still running Ex2003? Can't upgrade to the new version? (I'm stuck on Ex2003 too!)

It's going to be a while before there's an E series Maemo device, but fingers crossed it'd be good.. In the mean time, all the gadget enthusiasts get to play with essentially testing code on the N900 and all the bug reports will (hopefully) make it a better product over all.

Can't wait for the new firmware for the N900 to appear (but will be upset if it requires NSU to update..)

Please use plain text.
Professor

pls  bla-yuk-berries, the ONLY thing they do well is e-mail (oh and allow the old folk to see e-mails in 24 pt type) any current N or E series has better connectivity/media capabilities/mfe... just go and buy a good e-mail client.

yeah miss the communicators- think we saw the last of the line with the E90... too much blur with the E series.

NSU will not be the problem...pretty painless ( I did an upgrade on a 9700 Bold and that took 2 hours 10 minutes) if they keep it on par with symbian phones.   what will be upsetting is if the don't make sure the N900 has UDP. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

I'm not a fan of gooseberrys, but they do fit the enterprise very well as an all in one solution. Not perfect, but software bugs tend to be tackled quicky, mainly because it is RIMs life blood. If they didn't sync contacts. mail, calendar stuff, the enterprise wouldn't use them.

Nokia's handling of enterprise mail stuff has been particularly poor.. the N97 with its 640k of sea drive and 32gig of eeee drive yet the MfE client only lets you store its cache on see.. poor.. they don't have a great track record.. regardless of Eseries or Nseries..  Buying an email client for a phone in the enterprise makes me ask why both shipping one at all.. no less one that integrates completely with the messaging sub system.. you have a new SMS, you have missed call, you have a new email etc.. plus that only covers the email component. From what I've see of blackberry users, calendars and contacts are just as important, it appears..

I don't personally use Exchange and I do not nor have ever owned a blackberry.. :smileytongue:

My complaint about NSU is the fact that the firmware might not be package incremental. Everything on Maemo is a package, so why can't the new firmware simply be a series of package updates.. as was demonstrated on the N810/Diablo

It is a bit backwards to have to blank the OS partition and re-install in order to essentially get an apt-get upgrade?!

It is a bit strange that there haven't been any low level  package updates since I got my handset end of Nov.. I would've expected one or two?! I suppose the issue here might be radio kit firmware. There are problems with the wifi, bluetooth and potentially GSM tech all of which my require new out-of-os firmware updates too.. dunno, will be interesting to see a diff.

Ha.. first Nokia OS that might actually come with an official changelog! Ha!

Please use plain text.
Professor

"It is a bit strange that there haven't been any low level  package updates since I got my handset end of Nov."

Here, here... I find it odd that I have seen 0 updates including application update/patches/fixes. The issue with Nokia is that the customers don't follow the series distinctions - E-71/72/75  will kick a Crackberry anytime, built in e-mail client unified inbox...etc  N series not so good, that is why I got profimail - still the PIM functions of the N series are better on par with the BB.  

So we as users pick our favorite device and we try to fit it into a functional category. 

Please use plain text.