Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N900 alarm clock not working

Counsellor

N900 alarm clock not working

Hello

Since I installed the maemo update, my alarm clock is not working anymore... well, it's working, but it doesn't make any sound. I tried to change almost all possible settings concerning sounds on the phone, but it still doesn't make any sound...

Does anyone else have this problem? Or a solution?

thanks

Please use plain text.
Professor

Re: N900 alarm clock not working

Blessed are the geeks!

The N900 is a literal device designed by people who watched too much Star Trek and were Dr. Spock fans.  So the device is 100% rational and logical... not the way we humans need it to be.

The volume rocker controlls ALL sounds.   If you route sound to a peripheral such as a headset or BT device ALL sounds go to that device.  Silent mode ( sometimes wish my GF had a silent mode) shuts off ALL sounds.

Oh and also check that you actually have an alarm tone that makes noise....  clock-> alarm settings-> alarm tone.

Cheers!

Now get up or you'll be late!

Mark post solved if fixes issue 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thank you for your very kind reply.

But, I'm not stupid, unfortunately.

Nothing is routed, BT is not on, no mini-jack cables plugged in or anything else.

The sound used is the standard alarm sound provided on the phone.

The volume is 100%up!

Calls, messages, mails, chat messages, mediaplayer, it all works and sounds.  

Only the alarm clock is not making any sound!... 

Please use plain text.
Professor

Tut, Tut, Tut...

Since we haven't been dating, I don't know how bright/dim you are so I start (with everyone) at ground zero and work my way up....  Glad your not stupid.

Well how about this, lets assume the sound file is bad... Alarm tone, hit more button and pick a ring tone or MP3 you know works. 

BTW does it vibrate when the alarm goes off?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hello again!

Well, I tested some things...

It didn't make any sound when I used on of the three "preinstalled alarm sounds".

Now, for personal reasons, I tried using the song "Need you tonight" by INXS.

And, what happened???

It made sound! But: instead of using the song I selected, it now used "Alarm sound 1".

So, now it makes sound, but not quite yet as it supposed to be...

But, OK, i'm already happy that i'm gonna wake up on time tomorrow... 

By the way... plans tonight? We can go to the movies in Ghent, Belgium.  Got some free tickets...  :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Professor

Glad it works....  That would be an expensive movie...late minute plane fare from USA!

Mark it as solved.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
martinthai

Please do not mark this problem solved, as the guy mentions the alarm is still not working correctly. He is using a work around not a permanent fix.

DrEJV wrote:

Glad it works....  That would be an expensive movie...late minute plane fare from USA!

Mark it as solved.

Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

Hi just thought I ask are your alarms active as when I updated my phone for some reason it deactived all my alarm settings, all the alarms were still there just switched off, thats all I can think of hope this helps you.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mcfly77

hi,

I actually have a similiar problem and overslept this morning. :smileysurprised:

Alarm works, in that it's displayed on-screen and you can hit snooze etc, but there's no sound. When I try go into the clock settings I get the following error:

Internal error. Application 'clock' closed.

I've spent some time searching the maemo forums for a solution but I seem to be the only one afflicted by this to so far. Seems others are having trouble with their calendars. will continue searching.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
thommmm

HOW TO FIX THE NON WORKING ALARM TONE!

Hi,

I also overslept because of this STUPID thing lol.. spent an hour on the phone to Vodaphone who was useless as a donkey and also into every phone shop in the whole of Brighton! No-one knew how to fix it...

I just found how though... Although the update was done, there's another Maemo5 update which needs updating also...

Go onto APP MANAGER, Go to UPDATES

And update the MAEMO update on there :smileyhappy:

It'll do the update and will restart your phone, when its all back and powered up hopefully it should work again!!!

Hope people will read this! It's simple but easy to miss.. Cheers guys and gals :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

another quick fix for most minor problems is to remove the battery for 30 seconds. don't just turn it off

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mcfly77

Ah brilliant thommmm that's worked! Thanks a million! :smileyvery-happy:

Been using my old E51 to wake me up.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I've got same problem.

Update wont work for me, because the problem started when i upgraded to 1.3.

Alarm only vibrate when custom song is selected, but it's working for default music. But for custom selected file (mp3) from some folder in 32GB flash memory, it's simply not working.

I even copied file under Ringtones, default system folder, but still the same.

Sad is, on 1.2 everything worked.

Please use plain text.