Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N900 - all problems in one / Why are you doing thi...

skoteinos33

N900 - all problems in one / Why are you doing this to us Nokia?

[ Edited ]

750$ device: problems with supporting MS exchange server 2003 (still most commonly used), no real forum support (maemo developers usually don't reply you, probably busy with meego preparations - I don't blame them), slow and old processor (in the brand's flagship phone), no real GPS navigation - low end Nokia phones got it for free :/, fMMS buggy as hell free-only way to use MMS - an argument that iphone also didn't have it - I don't buy. 

Ultra-bad battery - most of the real good features you can't use because of this: Widgets, the (otherwise very cool) display full brightness, 3G you have to switch off all the time. Literally when using it normally (internet, e-mail, calls, messages) with 3G, widgets, and normal display mode .. it goes down like after 4 hours at max..maybe less. And not even talking about Youtube... no native app, ofc. All the apps you can get – in mediabox, zoutube..and others (tried about 5) buggy as hell (again) – and I don’t need to download the videos, just watch them online, I would do that in the browser, but you’ve got to overclock the device to get the videos in a watchable way in the browser.
 I am willing even to do that.. but some of the programs needed for that can’t be installed..and with no forum support (not even thinking about an official online one from Nokia)..one can’t get anywhere + by overclocking one ofc looses warranty, battery and device life.  

So let’s conclude:

It is the most expensive and advanced Nokia you can get – it has literally its own OS – abandoned by Nokia after 6 months from release of N900.

It is not useful for work (poor MS exchange support, poor sync even with the newly released MS online services, poor and no native Google apps – Gmail, Google docs, calendar support, the email client doesn’t support search or categories). However, paid version of the docs to go is very good.. 

It is not useful for fun either (poor social networking apps even in extras-develop-testing, it is nice having all the computer game ports, however we all know the UI and the actual game play are **bleep**, and if you want to have at least the PS emulator...you again HAVE TO OVERCLOCK) 

It is not useful for navigation (the GPS itself is of poor quality and you have to pay for something that low-end users have for free) Also it lacks digital compass – so no augmented reality here. 

the FM transmitter (even with FM booster) doesn’t really work (tried in three different cars).  The phone is heavy and the keyboard gets scratched really fast when using it regularly. Also the camera is much worse than in my 3 years old N82!!  No useful twitter app – tweego, nice looking, but no search (**bleep**?) and I’m not even starting on witter.

I want to state that I don’t need a phone for dummies (iphone n’ stuff) and I’m willing to set my phone and spend a lot of time with installing it, going through forums and everything.. but what is too much is too much.

And it is great that it all runs now on QT, however most QT apps you can get now for maemo are useless, not working or demos only – and even if that changes in the future – do you seriously want to run on an outdated OS with no support from the manufacturer??..  I also don’t need everything for free..I am willing to pay for apps and software and everything. But!! Ovi offer for N900 is not even a joke! And what I am not willing to pay for is 3rd party navigation.. when Nokia distributes it to almost every other Smartphone for free. 
With the OS – I would even go for paying for the MeeGo upgrade (whenever it would be ready and if Nokia would support Maemo – or should I call it N900 OS – properly meanwhile), BUT THERE WOULD HAVE TO BE AT LEAST AN OFFICIAL WORD FROM NOKIA that it would actually be possible.  

The last thing I want to state is this – I don’t blame the technicians who created this phone, it could have been a hell of a gadget. I blame the product development, marketing and the business teams of nokia. Because god I swear I used to be a Nokia fan and supporter and I even defended N900...but what you’ve done releasing this phone could be called only a huge business cluster f**ck. You literally push people to buy smartphones elsewhere. Even though they don’t want to. Seems that the N97 nightmare wasn’t enough.. 

Switching to Android or even WM and Motorola, Samsung or HTC, even though I wanted to stay with Nokia.. but guys I at least need to read my work emails on my device.. with N900 it is not possible.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

Re: N900 - all problems in one / Why are you doing this to us Nokia?

hmm.

with the youtube thing, i find it works better if you dont zoom in. but yeah, as youve mentioned, overclocking helps. if you use the titan oc kernel to reduce the voltage it also fixes the battery life issues.

apparently if you install easy debian, and copy an image file of open office onto the device, you can run the full version of open office in the n900, which is pretty awesome. use the search tools on these forums to find 'openoffice' i remember there being a thread about it.

not too sure about your fm transmitter issue. its stronger than the n97 fm transmitter. it generally depends on the car. in my old camry, it worked brilliantly. in my new civic, i need to run the fmboost script to get it working cleanly. it generally depends on the car. if your car has an antenna on the outside, wind down your window a little to minimise interference.

and nokia have announced they wont officially release meego for the n900, however, they have stated that they will continue on working on updates for the n900. im sure that when the meego touch screen edition comes out in october, someone will modify it to run on the n900.

i find the camera to be decent, but only in decent lighting. if its even a little dark, theres too much noise in the images.

the emulators run perfectly fine, but then again, i have overclocked mine. you might argue saying that overclocking should be unnecessary to run these apps, but once you give overclocking a try, you'll see the device run the way it should be running; with better battery life, and the power to do what you want it to do.

Please use plain text.
skoteinos33

Thx for reply.. however, I don't think users should be mild with this to Nokia.

I know overclocking could be an answer, however I'm stuck with getting into root, as rootsh I'm unable to install - it always says "file corrupted". 

Try the hard reset (http://thenokiaguide.com/2010/01/11/how-to-hard-reset-the-n900-resets-all-data/ ) but got  issues I can't get over too..

And anyway your solutions are nice - still it dosen't solve the major issue - N900 not being able to work with MS Exchange server 2003 .. (+ no search in the e-mail client)

and the navigation think ... which is like the nokia marketing saying "in your face.. you idiots who bought this phone".

And finally the maemo abandoning.. Ok you might be rigt...someone MIGHT do a port of MeeGo to N900.. but do you think that this should be a policy of such kind of company as Nokia.. Creating a device that should compete with the best of the best and then letting down the early adapters by telling them that they will not support the new platform on this device and leaving them with (previously proclaimed) from the long term point of view useless platform...? with poor support if any..

And they said that they will continue to support mameo.. yeah.. we all know how that would work.. from a business point of view.. it is a dead end for them now - but thay can not say this in public.. so what else could they say.. "sure we gonna support it"..

I don't get..really I don't get why don't they enable commercial upgrade for some reasonable ammount..

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

[ Edited ]

to be honest, im not really surprised that they dont plan to release meego for n900.

how many phones do you know of allow you to upgrade/replace the OS? even the new iOS4.0 will have limited features for the older generation iphones, and according to one of my friends who's running the gold version on an iphone 3g, its extremely slow, and doesnt really offer any benefits over the current iphone 3 os.

hmm, not too sure about your issue with downloading rootsh. theres a new version available in the extras devel, and then theres the regular version you can grab from maemo extras. at the moment, im using the one from maemo extras, and its running fine. perhaps try disabling the extras devel catalogue (if you had it enabled) and just grab the regular version?

not too sure about the email thing. i generally prefer to just browse emails with the web browser rather than to download 6000 junk emails (that i probably wont even reread) to the device, as it will probably do nothing more than slow down my system. but someone else might be more enlightening in this department than i am.

the navigation thing is fine for me at the moment. if you go into the apps manager, download mappero. theres the option of using google satellite and google maps as the map server. apparently the beta version in the extras-testing catalogue has turn by turn navigation and voice navigation. at the moment im just running the version thats in the maemo extras catalogue, but i dont have the correct language file, so i cant really understand the voice directions, lol. but hey, at least its better than ovi maps.

Please use plain text.
skoteinos33

the emails... I really need to have total sync between my outlook and the phone.. I was expecting N900 as a high end -kind of work phone ..I'm talking about Exchange server - so even the web access we have has to go over VPN - and for that you need bunch of certificates.. and you're not able to get them for linux - that I'm sure..

so the exchange would be sollution.. 

anyway

also the Digital compass and no AR :smileysad:

finally the OS thing.. strange how people are used to think..

look at this from a different point of view:

Nokia was one of the first companies in the world to start with mobile phones.. right?

They had huge share of market - right?

They have got years of experience and advantage in techological expertiese - right?

They start to loose pace with smartphones and had been loosing it ever since N98 8GB - right?

Now - they fail once again...creating a device, which should have been superior.. and the development probably cost huge amounts of money.. when they create a platofrm without continuity...which is replaced by incompatible system 6 months after release of N900

- so the right answer is not.. well the others don't do it.. so we (Nokia) don't need to bother

- the answer is We are in deep sh**t considering the smartphones market and we are loosing market share.. in an incredible fast pace.. we should do something about it - we should learn from other's mistakes - we should do things better.. 

and btw - with Android upgrade to upper version - is normal.. I know I know - it is not like maemo and meego.. but they're running tests of meego on N900.. anyway

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

actually, android upgrades are dependent on the manufacturer. the only phone where android upgrades arent dependent on the manufacturer is the google nexus one. that can update to new versions of android as they are released.

every other phone using android must wait for the manufacturer to release their own version of the update for the phone. a lot of htc phones are still stuck on android 1.6. the sony ericcson xperia x10 is as well last time i checked.

manufacturers often see operating systems as a sales tool. why would a consumer possibly buy a new device if all of the new features that come with the new OS can be made to run on an older device?

and as for nokia's smart phones, i dont know about you, but i find the upcoming n series releases to be enticing. the n8 is quite a powerhouse from what ive seen, and it suits the needs of my brother. the n9, is the one that entices me though. the only thing that i preferred on my old n97 compared to my n900 is the slide and tilt keyboard. it was much better than a flimsy stand, and extremely practical. the n9 design that has been released at the moment marks the return of the slide and tilt, and should prove interesting if symbian^3 is integrated effectively.

Please use plain text.
Sage

I had issues with Mail for Exchange connecting to an SBS 2003 server. Updated the firmware to the latest and it works perfectly now.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
riddick

I have to agree with all said. Thiss phone is the most expensive I have ever bought and it totally does not do what it says on the box. I feel cheated and there is no one to complain to. there has been hype over updates, when they eventually arrive they do not solve the main problem which is... this is an expensive 'smart phones' from nokia, but cheap phones costing a third of the price do much more. Infact your average £20 PAYG phone from tesco has more functionallity, I would like my money back so I can buy an HTC or an iPhone but I can't. In short, I have been ripped off.!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

[ Edited ]

okay, now im not sure what youre talking about. name a feature that it says it should do, but doesnt do? (not sure what you mean by it doesnt do what it says it does on the box. the box is black and doesnt really say much XD)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

[ Edited ]

riddick wrote:

I have to agree with all said. Thiss phone is the most expensive I have ever bought and it totally does not do what it says on the box. I feel cheated and there is no one to complain to. there has been hype over updates, when they eventually arrive they do not solve the main problem which is... this is an expensive 'smart phones' from nokia, but cheap phones costing a third of the price do much more. Infact your average £20 PAYG phone from tesco has more functionallity, I would like my money back so I can buy an HTC or an iPhone but I can't. In short, I have been ripped off.!!!!!

I'm a bit confused with this.

Apart from MMS what other functionality does an average £20 PAYG phone have over the N900??

(i'm ignoring fMMS on the N900 for me personally as I could not get this to work and found it very poor MMS wise)

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Sage

Does anyone actually still use MMS? If so, why? Most phones have email clients built in and if someone still wants to MMS you, they can send the MMS to an email address.

MMS is so 2005

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lorre007

Well i'm on T-Mobile in the UK and on my old price plan if i sent MMS from abroad to mobile in the UK it came out of my allowance so no extra charge :-)

On my new tariff a text message from Europe to the UK is 40p and a MMS is 20p.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Send an email, it's free.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

mms normally compresses an image to the point where the resolution and quality is simply pitiful. at least with an email, you can maintain the full resolution and quality of the image.

Please use plain text.
Sage

+1 Sever 

I just don't get what all the fuss is. Maybe all these MMS'ers still use floppy drives and CD-roms too.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ichiemie

riddick wrote:

lmao, these people are so funny and sooo backward,  maybe they want to go back to Stone Age, where the main tech are just old stones.. and besides who ever said that N900 is a phone?.. for Cpitchford sake.. err i mean for Christ sake, N900 was never mentioned as a phone, its a computer with phone functionality not a phone that can compute.. If u want so much as a phone then go buy a Nokia 3310, maybe that unit has functionality u people are looking for..

Please use plain text.