Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N900 and webcam

Counsellor
fardawg
Accepted Solution

N900 and webcam

Just purchased an N900.  I've also got a Skype account all set up and enabled on the N900.  I'd really like to know if there is a way that the low rez camera that would normally be used for video calls, can also be used as a webcam when I'm Skyping to my friends?  Honestly I don't even know how to use...or even discovered all the functions of this awesome smart phone.  So...for the time being, here are my 3 inquiries: 1. How to invoke the low rez cam to function as a webcam when Skyping (if it can be done)  2. How do I bring up the "virtual" keypad?  3. How do I get to the built in Users Manual, that resides somewhere in the belly of this beast?

Please use plain text.
Professor

1. Yes. You need the latest update, PR1.2. Then you just go to contacts and if they have the latest version of Skype you can initiate a video call.

2. Settings, text input, enable virtual keyboard.

3. with PR1.1 it's in file manager, n900, mydocs. PR1.2 has it in the main menu

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fardawg

Thanks !! Right after posting my webcam inquiry, it followed a few similar posts and found out that I needed to update my OS.  As we speak 113mb are of Maemo updates are installing. This should take care of the webcaming thingy !!  Thanks for the other info...sure appreciate it.

Please use plain text.
Professor

no problem, you can mark this thread as solved if it's taken care of.

feel free to hit the green star too :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fardawg

One last thing: Have YOU actually experience that PR 1.2 enables Skype video?  I'm still downloading the update, but in the meantime have read a few postings elsewhere regarding PR1.2 improvements.....smoother scrolling, faster operation, etc, but the person specifically observed that "presently Skype video appears to still be disables".  Not sure how old that post was, but I just thought I'd ask you to confirm that PR 1.2 is a KNOWN fix to being able to Skype video call someone running Skype on a desktop or laptop?  Sorry to pester you.....not my intention.

Please use plain text.
Professor

Yes it definitely works, but N900 is the only phone to have Skype video calling so the recipient needs either an N900 or a computer running the latest version of Skype.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fardawg

Nice. Once again, thank you for the assist !! I will consider this mystery solved !!

Please use plain text.
Sage

Video call will only be available if the contact you are calling is online and has a webcam. If they don't have a webcam the option won't appear. It's so simple and obvious but it was driving me insane :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fardawg

Rich - 

I'm totally confused now.  I downloaded OS version 10.2010.19-1.003 so as to be able to specifically do a webcam Skype session on my N900.  The download was 113 mb's and even stated in it's narrative that it enables video calling, video skype, etc.  I have skype set up on my N900.  It shows up as "Enabled" under VoIP and IM in the settings menu.  When I open "Conversations" I can see chat conversations I've had on Skype with my buddy, yet I see no button or menu to enable me to initiate a video skype session.  I thought perhaps I actually did NOT have the appropriate OS version, as mine ends in 1.003.  Is this the correct version?  If PR 1.2 refers to the numbers that come AFTER 19-, then maybe I don't have the correct version yet.  Do I need 10.2010.19-1.2xxx?  Is that the number that PR1.2 is referring to?  I know I'm very close to getting this, but have to admit a little frustration at this point. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ichiemie

@fardawg: we have the same PR version and the 003 means we are using the middle east release, which i am using too.. if u want to make a call via skype open ur "contacts" and choose whom u want to make video call with, u have to make sure that the person ur calling is either on skype too or using N900 connected to internet..
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fardawg

Okay....now I see.  I'm now getting some options that weren't there until I updated last night. Now when I click on my buddy's name in Contacts (and he is currently the only Skype contact I have since I'm brand new to Skype) I see all the calling options, but I had to scroll down a little to see the video call option.  We weren't able to get the video streaming but could hear each other fine on the voice portion of the video call.  I'm gonna suspect slow internet is the fault for the lack of video.  What do you think? Where in the middle east are you? 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fardawg

Oh...BTW...how do you get the virtual keypad to come up on the screen?  I went into settings...Text Input....and activated "Use Virtual Keyboard",...but how and when do you actually invoke it to open up?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ichiemie

fardawg wrote:

Okay....now I see.  I'm now getting some options that weren't there until I updated last night. Now when I click on my buddy's name in Contacts (and he is currently the only Skype contact I have since I'm brand new to Skype) I see all the calling options, but I had to scroll down a little to see the video call option.  We weren't able to get the video streaming but could hear each other fine on the voice portion of the video call.  I'm gonna suspect slow internet is the fault for the lack of video.  What do you think? Where in the middle east are you? 

yes, slow internet connection is one possibility that i know of, im having the same problem when it comes to video calling in Yahoo Messenger. as for the virual keyboard, it is hidden majority of the time, it only appears when you need to send a text message or when u surf the net ( requiring u to key in some info in search engines or login to websites, that sort of things).
i used to live in the UAE but im now in the Philippines, and my unit actually came from Qatar where my mother brought it for me, I'll be joining her soon this coming august.. what about u?.. where u from?..

Please use plain text.
Professor

fardawg wrote:

Oh...BTW...how do you get the virtual keypad to come up on the screen?  I went into settings...Text Input....and activated "Use Virtual Keyboard",...but how and when do you actually invoke it to open up?

In a new SMS/IM, you see the white box at the bottom? Tap in there.

Essentially any time there's an empty input box, tap it to bring up the VK. Remember it only works with the physical keyboard closed.

Please use plain text.