Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N900 both "Sim Card and reboot problem".Please hel...

Contributor
monbus
Accepted Solution

N900 both "Sim Card and reboot problem".Please help...

Last night I checked for new softwares and installed new feature that shows what will maemo 6 will be and later on due to the reasons I do not know something went wrong.This happened before and I solved it by flashing but this time I need help.Let me tell what happened.

First the application catalogues and install program list disappered. This happened before and when I flashed the device the problem solved. I did the same thing again I flashed the device to the first maemo realase. The phone booted and opened. But simcard is not recognized by the device. Therefore I decided to update maemo. I did two updates by air. For the first update everything is fine but sim card problem continues.  Then I updated to the third relase. It opened and asked me to enter pin code. Later the desktop came but phone rebooted. I waited as it is usual but It continued rebooting. Device rebooted at least for ten times. Then I Put the battery off and tried again but the same thing happened.

This time I flashed back with usb.Again sim card error. Then flashed for the second update again. This time phone rebooted as I updated for the second firmware relase. Then flashed back. Phone opened without sim card. Then Flashed with third uptade with usb and again reboot problem.I downloaded all three files there (US, Africa, Global). Tried for each and the same proble continued.Please help me. I waited for a long time to own this phone.But this is really disappointing.Please help  or I will break the phone for sure.

Murat

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Re: N900 both "Sim Card and reboot problem".Please help...

You're making this harder than it is..

1) What did you install last night? "installed new feature that shows what will maemo 6" ?

2) Why did you reflash to the first release (PR1.0 1.2009.42?)

3) Why are you trying different regional firmware? Use the one that is relevant for YOUR device. Which region are you in?

If you downgrade your firmware, the phone hardware will not work, it will not see your sim and you will not be able to make calls..

Reflash your device with the latest firmware for your region. 3.2010.02 for every where EXCEPT the UK or 2.2009.51 for the UK.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
monbus

Thank you for your massage...

1) What did you install last night? "installed new feature that shows what will maemo 6" ?

I installed two softwares. Since my phone is not responding its hard to remember their names. First One is Qt4 full version. (I couldn't install it because the phone doesn't have enough memory).

the second one (I could not remember the name but it was a demo showing how maemo 6 is going to be like)

2-Why did you reflash to the first release (PR1.0 1.2009.42?).

Because when I did the same thing before it worked fine.It still works fine but the sim card is not recognized by the device.

3-Why are you trying different regional firmware? Use the one that is relevant for YOUR device. Which region are you in?

I live in turkey. nokia is not selling N900 here. I provided it elsewhere. But I can get firmwares via wi-fi. First and second firmwares from air works fine. The phone responds but device does not recognize simcard.After installing the third firmware via air. The phone starts to boot.

The same thing happened when I flashed with usb.Then I tried the other firmwares.Though one could solve my problem.

How can I solve this problem. How can I stop booting Or provide device to recognize the simcard.

How can I decide which firmware is relevant for my device.

Please help.

Murat

Please use plain text.
Contributor
monbus

I reflashed it several times (with the latest firmware)  but reboot problem continues.I reflashed it via usb or wi-fi.The boot problem continued.....

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

From where (which country) did you buy your phone. You need to flash the latest version.

chaging firmware versions back and forth and between regions will cause significant problems since it will "flash" the radio firmware.. This process doesn't seem to be reversable.. once it is flashed, it will only be flashed if there is a new version.. EVEN IF you reflash your phone

Updating via wifi is NOT flashing.. its updating..Don't confuse those terms..

What version is your phone running now? When does it reboot?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
monbus

I was at work.Now at home with the phone. I can answer your questions with more information.

My friend bought it from south arabia.

I flashed it to version 1.2009.42-11. It is now working but do not recognize the sim card.here is the full version information from http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php

RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin,

OS 2009 version 1.2009.42-11,

Maemo 5 Global release for Nokia N900

The softwares I installed yesterday are.PyQt4 full and sorry could not find the second one again.

It is working with this version but do not recognize sim. but when I flash it to "RX-51_2009SE_3.2010.02-8_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin" it start booting, booting,booting.....

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

ok.. that makes more sense now.. this'll probably get you going..

make sure you have the Middle East / North Africa 3.2010.02 image from tablets-dev.nokia.com, this is the os image

make sure you have the vnilla emmc image from tablets-dev.nokia.com. this is the first file on the N900 download page

use flasher to flash the EMMC image to your phone... then use flasher to flash the mideast/northafrica os image toy your phone.... in that order, the order is important

the emmc has stale info and I suspect is causing the reboot prob

Please use plain text.
Contributor
monbus

I'm now trying.I hope it will work...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
monbus

It worked. I really want to thank you....

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

No problem! Glad you're up and running again..

The emmc is a bit of a tricky thing... it contains part of the OS and most of your settings.. so changing the OS image without blanking/resetting the EMMC can lead to really very odd behaviour!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mr_JLD

Hello,

I seem to have the same problem with my N900. I've updated the software twice an every time it's OK for a few days but then it's starts again not detecting my sim card when I boot it. Some times I have to restore the default settings for it to detect the sim card again.

Is this because I bought my phone in the US and I live Portugal? Do you think the I should do the same to my phone?

Best regards

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Yeah, I'd give it a go.. but use the US firmware, rather than the MidEast/NorthAfrica one..

flash the EMMC image FIRST, then the USA 3.2010.02 image and you should be good to go

Please use plain text.
Contributor
strobo

Hi, I've red upper comments and I think that I have similar problem.

I've bought N900 from my mobile operator, and have it for few weeks. Everything working smoothly untill today when I noticed simbol on screen SIM card crossed with red line, and without network. So it happened as I can tell with no reason what so ever.

First thing that came on my mind is to restart it, and after I've done it rebooting took ages (10min or more) again with no network and sim card symbol crossed with red line. I've tried to change some other perator sim card but no success.

My question is: do you find my problem the same as Murat's having in mind that I've never mess around flashes ...

If so, will you please explane me step by step what to do, as I'm not so much in hacker skills :smileyhappy:

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Is you phone rebooting itself?

Have you tried booting without a SIM in the phone?

Have you then tried booting with a SIM back in the phone?

Does the first SIM work in a different phone?

Here's something you can try, it might reveal some more info:

Put the SIM in the phone.. Turn the phone off then back on.. wait for it to finish booting

Open an X terminal and run this command EXACTLY

dmesg > MyDocs/dmesg.txt

Now, connect you phone to your PC and pull a file off the phone called dmesg.txt.. Reply to this post and attach the dmesg.txt file as an attachment

You can type a > by pressing blue shift, then CTRL, then selecting > from the top row of the pop up keyboard

Please use plain text.
Contributor
strobo

No it isn't

Yes I have

Yes I have

Yes it does

And still doesn't work

Now I'll do my best to follow your instructions and then I'll inform you what happens

BTW I'm really **bleep** trying to connect N900 with PC, and nothing works, no PC Suite (meant for N900 on  official site, nor Nokia Software Updater, PC doesn't recognise device etc. , I can't belive Nokia did such madness, often bluetooth wount connect to other devices (even Nokia), problem with sync to other nokia etc etc

Sorry for this but I really had to tell this to someone who would understand me; I'm using Nokia for almoust ten years (6210, 6630, N95) and at the end didn't expect these problems with this kind of high-end phone.

OK, I'm giving it a shot and afterwards inform you of results

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
strobo

Hi,

I have just done, but again on very strange way

I've installed Pc Suite, but when I connect N900 to PC it doesn't appear not in PC suite nor in  My computer/Nokia phone browser...

Than I shut done N900(power off) but still usb cable connected to PC and than PC recognise Data mode N900...strange...

Here comes the file you aked me for...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

The sim card was inserted when you ran that test?

Could you repeat the test, but this time leave the USB cable unplugged

So:

turn off

turn on

wait for boot to finish

start xterm

dmesg > MyDocs/dmesg.txt

plug into computer

try and copy file off

The reason it works when the phone is off is like a backup mode.. If the phone is off, it behaves like a USB memory stick.. when you plug it into your computer it should look like a mass storage device

Please use plain text.
Contributor
strobo

The sim card was inserted

I'll repeat the test now but with the cable unplugged, as you said I should

Please use plain text.
Contributor
strobo

Strange thing happened, I took battery out, put first used sim in it, and then turn it on

It turned on (reboot it) suprisingly fast at it showed me network and no sim card error

Here's the file:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
strobo

PC Suite has just started to run and I didn't loose a sec, and started full backup all data from N900 to PC

Please use plain text.