Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N900 - broken USB - not the usual, though

teethgrinder

N900 - broken USB - not the usual, though

I tried to plug the Nokia CA-101 USB cable in this morning, and the pins in the connector on the phone bent rendering the phone unable to charge or transfer data.  The cable has always been plugged in and unplugged with great care since I learnt of the issue of ports coming loose at the solder joints.

After suffering this third problem with my N900 I have been told by the Carphone Warehouse that this problem is not covered by the warranty.

To say I am unhappy with this situation is an understatement to say the least, and with the previous issues with this phone (all telephony functions disabled and unresponsive touchscreen on incoming calls) it is fair to say I have lost faith in the N900 despite it's capabilities and I am beginning to lose faith in Nokia as a manufacturer.

I am at the point now where unless a suitable replacement is offered (N9 ot E7) I suspect the N900 will be my last Nokia product.

Grrr.

Robin, UK

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Robin,

it is repairable, though i am not sure where you would do it in the UK, I have a friend here in the US that has now replaced a number of the usb parts on n900 devices and they work perfectly.

not sure why nokia will not just repair them...maybe they do not want to deal with the heat-sync... :/

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

teethgrinder wrote:

I tried to plug the Nokia CA-101 USB cable in this morning, and the pins in the connector on the phone bent rendering the phone unable to charge or transfer data.  

You could always install OpenSSH upon N900 to get data on or off.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
teethgrinder

That is true, however any data I needed was transferred onto the microSD card I had in.  It's the fact the phone is now effectively useless as once battery flat it can't be charged, and I am not prepared to spend money on a desktop charger.

The fact is that the pins bent through no failt of mine and it should be replaced under warranty.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

:/ yeah...**bleep**..you cannot charge.

it has to be fixed in order to charge.

i actually have multiple units, usually of the same kind as what i use...MUST HAVE A BACKUP in case of loss or broken parts. i cannot afford to be down. so i actually use a second n900 to charge some batteries, just as i did with the e90, 9500 7710.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mauk20civic

[ Edited ]

the same thing just happened to mine and i have babied my n900 since i got it and all of the sudden the usb thing came off today!!! :smileysad:.. i dont wanna send it into the repair center because they are really difficult to deal with.. help where could i get this fixed>?im in the u.s new mexico to be exact. could i be able to take it to any cell phone repair shop?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

i would imagine that it would be an easy fix but it will void your warrenty with Nokia and any insurance you may have for it

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.