Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N900 doesn't play MPEG 4 video files

Sage
wilson63
Accepted Solution

N900 doesn't play MPEG 4 video files

Hi everyone, please tell me the difference between MP4 & MPEG 4 video file formats, I recently attempted to play MPEG 4 file on my N900, but got message this format not supported.

Where can I download the "CODEC" or find a video player that supports MPEG4 play back? Best regards.:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

get extra decoders support from the repo. That should do it. I have yet to find a media format i can't play on the n900. Failing that, you could always try mplayer with the sip front end

Please use plain text.
Sage
wilson63

Hi richwhite, thanks very much for the info, sorry, I'm not particularly a technically savvy person, please elaborate on exactly how to get "extra decorders from the repo or where to find mplayer for download?

I desperately in need of an app that supports MPEG4 video files, best regards.

Please use plain text.
Professor

Open menu, go to 'app manager', click the menu bar at the top and select 'application catalogues'. In that list you will see 'extras', tap on it, and uncheck the 'disabled' box if it is ticked - it it's an empty box, leave it empty.

Go back to the main app manager page (uninstall, download, update) and hit 'download'. Hit 'all', the first icon on the top row. Then slide out the keyboard and type 'extra decoders support' and it should display it. Simply download it and that's it.

I'm not 100% it supports MPEG4, but it certainly plays most formats so it's worth installing

Please use plain text.
Sage
wilson63

Hi richwhite, I followed your instructions step by step & unfortunately there are no " extra decoders support" from the all list of apps, I tried updating them but no new updates were available, please tell me where may I find the app & how exactly to use Mplayer after installation & how do I import video files to it, I am much obliged.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor

Open x-term and try

apt-get install Extra Decoders Support

MPlayer might still be in devels, i'm not sure. But there's KMPlayer, might be in devels, but it's very good and it seems stable.

Please use plain text.
Sage
wilson63

Hi richwhite, sorry that didn't work, I tried entering the command a couple of times, how to delete them from X-terminal? Do I press" enter" after typing a command?:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

wilson63 wrote:

Hi richwhite, sorry that didn't work, I tried entering the command a couple of times, how to delete them from X-terminal? Do I press" enter" after typing a command?:smileysad:

make sure that you have EXTRAS-TESTING installed as a catalaog as it is listed there.

then, if you have already installed rootsh, you can do the following:

open xterm

sudo gainroot

apt-get install decoders-support

and it should install for you.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Professor

I gave you the wrong code juding from Ceroberts' post, but yeah, you push enter after entering sudo gainroot and then the apt-get install command

Please use plain text.
Sage
wilson63

Hi richwhite, I did entering the commands on your instructions but I this message " sudo gainroot" & press enter & Enable RD mode if you want to break your device & then type in apt-install command, a return message said sh:apt-install: not  found.

Are there any other alternative? I tried KMPPlayer & SMPlayer but both of them fail to play MPEG4 video files, please instruct me on how to get into Devel, best regards.:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Professor

Sorry forgot to mention you need Rootsh installed to do sudo gainroot, it's in devels

Please use plain text.
Sage
wilson63

HI richwhite,  How to enter "Devels"? I am new to the N900 bought it a couple of weeks ago, please instruct me step by step as I never out up X-terminal or Devels either, I appreciate it.:smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.
Sage

Wilson, Google is your friend.

Follow this guide:

http://thehandheldblog.com/2009/12/29/how-to-enable-extras-extras-testing-extras-devel-repositories-...

Once you have entered those repos, restart app manager, let it scan the repos and do search for rootsh. Install this then follow the commands (they are called commands, not codes)  Cero posted.

Please use plain text.
Professor

once you've installed rootsh and extra decoders support, go back to app manager, tap the menu bar and select 'application catalogues', then tap 'extras-testing' and ht the disabled button and click save, then the same for extras-devel.

Please use plain text.
Sage
gemini632003

Hi richwhite, I tried your instructions but got a message from X-tern," could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 permission denied)

Unable to lock the administrion directory.

What should I do next,best regards.:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi gemini632003

Perhaps you are not root? Have a look at this thread:/t5/Maemo-Devices/Idiots-guide-to-XTerm-required/m-p/648036/highlight/true#M6946

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Professor

what are you doing in xterm? can you tell us step by step what you're doing, and if you enabled extras testing

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

gemini632003 wrote:

Hi richwhite, I tried your instructions but got a message from X-tern," could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 permission denied)

Unable to lock the administrion directory.

What should I do next,best regards.:smileysad:

sounds like you are trying to go root while your application manager is still open in the background.

be sure you close both programs,  and then reopen xterm and try to go root with

sudo gainroot

or

root

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
annicea

This could be due to corrupted or damaged MPEG-4 video. Once the MPEG-4 videos gets corrupted or damaged, it becomes inccessible and unreadable. You should try to repair MPEG file first to access it. You can take help of MPEG repair software for this. The tool easily repair corrupt MPEG file and makes them accessible so that you can easily play them.

Please use plain text.