Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N900 fails to power on

Advisor

N900 fails to power on

The N900 was charged (fully) once, used until the battery meter got to about 50%, I turned it off, and now it won't restart. I have attached it to the charger, but no change. The status light is not coming on either.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: N900 fails to power on

Update

RTFM, and it said to Reset the unit remove and replace the battery (not inspired by the back cover), so I did that, and now the indicator light is staying on, but nothing else happens. The device is off and isn't responding to the on/off button.

By the way what do the different indicator light colours mean? I think I have seen orange, white, blue and green.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

white: power on/off

orange: charging

green: charge full

blue: notifications (missed calss, sms, IM , ...) 

Az. At.
IT Support Engineer
DED
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

I've not yet had this problem with ym N900.. but I've had it a few times with older Maemo devices (N800 I believe)

When the device is off and you attach it to the charger, the device will power on and boot up the OS. If the OS is damaged it will produce the same results as if you'd tried to power it on with the power button without the charger attached.

I've not yet found out if the OS needs to be running for the battery to charge, which does introduce a problem in that if the OS won't boot, it wouldn't charge thus making it harder to debug

It may be obvious, but have you tried removing the battery waiting a minute putting it back in, attaching the charger then leaving the device for ten mins or so? 

Failing this, I guess you might need to re-flash your device or worse still it could be a hardware fault.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

i agree with 

it happened to me several times when i connect the charger and try to turn the device on it wouldn't boot

a workaround is to remove the battery/re-attach it and then turn the device on again

otherwise your firmware might be damaged and you need to reflash 

Az. At.
IT Support Engineer
DED
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Taking the battery out for 10secs didn't work, taking it out for a few minutes did. thanks

Don't remember it happening with the N800

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

good stuff. It only happened a few times with my N800, but I did abuse that device rather a lot :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.