Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N900 memory not accessible

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

N900 memory not accessible

Hi - Definitely not an expert - hence the problem.

I am running N900 on PR1.3, overclocked to 1.1Mhz using "Enhanced Linux kernel for power users".  Lately the device memory has become unavailable - I can't move/delete files on the internal memory or save anything to it.   So the camera will save photos to my micro SD card but not to the internal memory.  The files come up as "read only" if I try to move them.

I've tried re-flashing both the OS and EMMC using flasher 3.5 from my windows PC running Vista but it simply won't do it (despite having used that means to reflash to PR1.3 after I'd overclocked).

If I connect to my PC is mass storage mode the files show as read only - I've changed properties there but that makes no difference either.

The problem only seems to have developed since I installed the latest version of OVI to my PC and (successfully) synced.  Could OVI have corrupted the memory?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Re: N900 memory not accessible

hmmm mikev. thats a good one.

personally, the only thing that ovi suite is good for is loading maps and updating the firmware...especially if you are on a 64bit machine.

i cannot for sure blame it on your ovi suite, but i cant see why else you are having this issue.

your OC is not the problem. i have been using that kernel since its first release and prior flashed my kernel to the 900mhz one.

when you flashed...did you get a confirmation that it was "Done!" even after your vanilla flash?

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks.

No it won't reflash at all - just sits there doing nothing ....

Mike

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

One question though - can I re-flash the EMMC without reflashing the OS again? Though at the mo it won't do either ...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

when you flash:

is your device off before you hold the "U" and connect it to the usb cable?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

yes completely shut down.
suprisingly windows checks whether I've run the program - then it just sits there ...
do I have to reflash the OS again first?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

[ Edited ]

the only thing i can recomend is that you follow the directions i posted here: /t5/Maemo-Devices/Top-12-Maemo-N900-Issues-amp-Fixes/m-p/753606#M18134exactly.

you should be able to flash the os and then the vanilla just fine unless your usb port is broken, which i do not believe it is.

i would start by first flashing the pr1.3 and then the vanilla.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Brilliant thanks - reflash worked & memory now accessible. Just re-loading apps.

Many thanks
Please use plain text.
safwansn

Hi, I am also having the same problem. I was trying to open my camera for my N900, but it is not opening and there is a message appearing "Memory not accessible. Unable to save content." I would like to know what is the problem and how can I open again my camera application. Before it was working properly, I would like to know how can I fix this problem? Please help me. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knuthf

Yes - loading contacts and notes is done to a SQL database that uses logs. Should anything happen, or you abort the loading, the logs remains and the space cannot be recovered. Worse is that these logs are at times on the application "rootfs". It is no new issue.
SO: THE ISSUE HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED. If so, I re-open it. I have done just the same with the old OVI, Windows XP/SP2 and it becomes impossible to flash - VANILLA returns status 3: EP = EP2.
Don't change anything that works.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knuthf

Take backup of everything, and following the instructions for "flashing". It should work. If you use Mac or Linux, download the shell-script "flasher.sh" also posted.
When you "flash" you also wipe out everything on the N900 except the memory card, that you can use for backup. You have to re-install all the applications.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knuthf

The Flasher does not flash eMMC:

Executing: /usr/bin/flasher-3.5 -F emmc/RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
flasher v2.5.2 (Nov 25 2009)  
Image 'mmc', size 255947 kB  
Version RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA
USB device found found at bus 005, device address 004-0421-01c8-02-00.
Raw data transfer EP found at EP2. Using flashing protocol Mk II. SU_GET_UPDATE_STATUS_REQ terminated with error code 1.
Returned error: 3

Press enter to continue   

The bug is on Windows XP/SP3, Linux 10.10 and MacOS - Snow Leopard.

MacOS is best at reporting the problem, but it seems like it "finds" something like a lock or semaphore "EP found at EP2".

Another guess is that the software assumes that the device that hangs on the USB is a SmartCard and looks for additional software that is not installed (see attached log).

It is not related to Windows, but will most likely occur here as well.

The N900 has been flashed earlier. It received a initiation ("SIMcard interrogate") from T-Mobile that messed it all up, made it loose roaming Internet, and gradually degraded until it was impossible to search for contacts and place calls.

Please use plain text.
sabeti_2000

hi i have the same problem, i can't access the link above, its telling me Sorry, you do not have sufficient privileges for that action.

Please click the Back button on your browser. please assist
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knuthf

It shows that the "Flashing" is done according to CERoberts procedures.I have also added a printout of the console messages, since "stderr" messages are sent here on Mac. This shows that drivers for SD memory has not been installed - on the N900.
Overclocking the memory may make the eMMC too slow when used as RAM. So, one reason for the bug may be hardware. The code does not have an exception handler / trap armed to trap this. I will not demand hardware traps of my consultants unless they make drivers. However, the "Flasher" is pretty low level, and it would have been very simple for them to "sense" to eMMC to ready it for the burst that comes. It is not my project, but using components of different speeds is red alert. But then Nokia are no rookies, they know what they are doing. They have also determined a clock frequency, and has a reason for not delivering the device with the higher frequency.
The SW error is that the Flasher does not provide a SD memory driver - or traps SD memory errors.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chetan_cmk

ceroberts75 :

I m unable to view the directions posted by you regarding this issue

It says 

"Sorry, you do not have sufficient privileges for that action." 

And m facing the same problem while using the camera i get an messaging saying memory not accesable.

Blease help me regarding. . . I m new to all this. . . 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

im not sure why that link isnt working...oh wait, i think what happened is a mod, modded it and combined it, so that link is no longer good.

try this: /t5/Maemo-Devices/Top-12-Maemo-N900-Issues-amp-Fixes/m-p/753608#M18135

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knuthf

Maybe - it was very detailed and showed an error that the Nokia software did not catch. 
The error should not occur (HW timout on memory), and Nokia has replaced that motherboard of the N900. So, it has been fixed/ replaced. 

The authorised Nokia repair centres has tools to diagnose the N900 and discussions here has no value. Even with Nokia there may be circumstances that requires special skill and tools to fix it. Regardless of how much you would like to hack a sollution and kick the thing back into action: You have to make the walk and hand it over to those with the tools at the certified Nokia repair shop.

Please use plain text.