Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N900 wifi connection error

Registered Member
emperorad

N900 wifi connection error

hi, 

hope someone can help, recently got the n900 and having trouble connecting to home WLAN.

It basically finds the WLAN, i set it up under internet connections with WPA & PSK all ok. It even finds the WLAN and confirms its correctly paired with a green locked symbol on it. But when i choose to connect through it displays 'Network Connection error'. I've read a few issues that other people have had with connecting through wifi and i've made sure to check firewall is off and interface is set on 802.1 b/g. But still it comes up fail.

can anyone help pls?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi,

I have exactly the same error with my wifi, nothing i do can set it, tried reflashing but the setting is persistent.

Like i say, its exactly as you say. any help would be very welcome.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Check for MAC filtering on the router. Turn off WPA2 only mode. Don't use IPv4 config, use automatic (DHCP). Turn off the power saving in the advanced settings of WLAN.

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sandroski

Hi, I have the same problems. I bought my phone in the UK but I'm using it in Italy at the moment and seems not to work with the wifi. I st it up as per instructions, it shows the connection but it doesn't load any pages or if it does it takes ages. How do you reflash it?

Thank you

Please use plain text.
ayazpak

I got the same problem with my home connection. Now I got a nice way to connect my WLAN connection with N-900. I am using win 7 and now I make my PC a wifi hotspot with a software http://connectify.me/, when this software make my PC hotspot then I connect my N-900 easily with internet.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
S0400707

Hi,

i have a different issue my n900 is connecting with some wifi connections perfectly and no problem but its not getting connection wit msome wifi connecions including my home wifi.. when i tried to connect its showing "connection failed cannot retrive IP address from server"

i dont know wat is this means. can any one solve this problem am irritated because of this.. thanks in advance pls help....

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

S0400707 wrote:

Hi,

i have a different issue my n900 is connecting with some wifi connections perfectly and no problem but its not getting connection wit msome wifi connecions including my home wifi.. when i tried to connect its showing "connection failed cannot retrive IP address from server"

i dont know wat is this means. can any one solve this problem am irritated because of this.. thanks in advance pls help....

Enable router DHCP server.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
1337INT13H

[ Edited ]

Hey. here my problem,

Hello again. I ended up buying a N900 for my Mum with firmware  3.2010.02-8.203.1. When updating to the latest firmware 20.2010.36-2.203.1- wireless will not work on this device & the 3G will not disconnect. My mum is orange contract sim. 

The wireless Icon flashes a few times then gives up if I click on the wireless icon while it's flashing & trying to connect a network error occurs. There is something different about the firmware on mums n900 to that of the firm on my n900. I'm on 02 payg sim.

We swapped sims round & still experience the same problem. Mums N900 will not disconnect from the 3g with my 02 payg sim connection in her phone or her own orange sim card, neither will it connect to the wifi. Mine works with both sims & disconnects from the 3g & works with wifi, connects to wifi if it is there. 

This phone we bought  from the seller on 27 Mar, 201117:23:24 BST on ebay.

I don't know if tis is a firmware issue/bug or firmware difference? or whether the wifi module is faulty. If so how can we get it repaired. I'm looking for some help, advice or suggestions on what to do?

So I have mac address filtering enabled on my router but my N900 works with wifi & connects to net through my router even though the N900 mac is not in in the mac addres filter table.

My mums n900 stays connnected to 3g all the time  & brings up the network error with wifi, even though I have set the wpa/psk on her n900. It also shows up in select connection as "wifi protected setup compliant" with the tick & the lock. So i guesse I too have the same problem as you lot.

The n900 should be using the Wifi when it's setup properly when its there. But mums n900 keeps hugging 3g it won't disconnected from mums orange 3g network connection. But the sim isn't the problem as I tested both sims in my phone & my wifi works flawlesly & starts using wifi & disconnects from 3g sims.

My issue is I bough it through ebay. I don't know if I can even get it repaired if I can I don't know how much nokia would charge for it in the case that the wifi module is faulty or in the case that mums particular n900 isn't generic firm, it's got differences in the firm versions!

p.s my router is already acting as a DHCP server. My N900 is using (maximum) wifi power saving, my mums n900 is, WPA2 option unticked on mine & my mums n900, wireless lan transmission power on both n900's are 100mW. IP address auto-retrieve on both n900's.

So do we reflash the phone, send it back for repair or do a normal new firmware install seeing as my mums hasn't done or saved anything on it really yet?

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't"

Please use plain text.
Advisor
1337INT13H

Hi. When connecting to the wireless network with my mums n900 it would flash the wifi status bar icon & then give up throwing up a "Network error". I already new that I had enable MAC address filtering on my router. This whole issue caused mums n900 not to connect. You would say well that's logical. Well yeah! but my n900 connects to my router even though it's mac address isn't in the MAC Address filtering list. Figure that out! lol Anyways if someone can explain that please do otherwise I'm off to enjoy some wifiying with my mums n900, buh bye. I hope this helps!

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't"

Please use plain text.
Contributor
meyag

as the proud owner of a brand spanking new Nokia N900 I am irritated about the flakiness of the WiFi access. At my location, we have an Apple Airport WDS (wireless distributed network) with WPA2 and access control.

The N900 has been entered as being allowed to access in the ACL.

The access has been flaky at least, sometimes working (it worked fine before doing the update to the last version of Maemo 5 (20.2010.36-2), now there is connection at times, sometimes not even the 3G packet data connection works, and nearly never is there access to the Wifi.

So I decided to remove the WPA and the ACL from the network - no joy sofar.

Has anybody managed to get ti to work flawlessly in such an environment and does know how to get there?

I have installed WiFiEye and Wifi Assistant, but to no avail.

The message when trying to connect (using "Select Connection) is mixed, sometimes it finds the T-Mobile 3G, sometimes it comes back with "No connections available".

It is this erratic behaviour that is highly irritating, especially knowing it was working before upgrading to the more recent OS.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
meyag

The N900 has been reflashed. I used RX-51_2009SE_3.2010.02-8.002_PR_COMBINED_002_ARM to do it. Alas, the difficulty to connect to a WPA2 Personal WDS network prevails - I cannot keep it unsecured except for testing purposes too long.

So, PLEASE, if some kind mind would be able to give me a pointe, I would really appreciate it, in order to use my new N900 as intended.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
meyag

...just to add insult to pain, the T-Mobile network is not found anymore at all in the connections setup by my N900.... What is the problem with the antenna of the N900? This actually worse then in the infamous grip of death on the jailphone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

I suggest you place your question on the Maemo board, they are the experts for your device.

/t5/Maemo-Devices/bd-p/maemo

Please use plain text.
Contributor
meyag

Thanks for the pointer. I am reading up slowly there...

Please use plain text.