Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Navigation in N900

Counsellor
oneFinn

N900 had the chance to become an outstanding product. Now after Nokia dropped it, as it looks, it remains a good platform for hackers and developers. Ordinary users got a good hw with mostly crippled apps like Maps and calendar.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
oneFinn

n900newuser wrote:

Hey OneFinn,

How are "offline" maps possible? you mean to say, we can use GPS on the N900 without connecting to internet? Thats what I understand by offline maps!

Do let me know how to do it, if you have figured it out!

Thanks,

N900NewUser

Download the maps you need  to N900 with Map Loader. If you can live without A-GPS (which speeds up a lot finding your current location), don't let Maps to connect to Internet. It will then use satellites only to finf your location, that will take some time..

Unless you make searches, Maps won't require connection.

Clumsy and slow, but basically works.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n900newuser

Hi OneFinn,

Thanks for responding so soon. So it means that when I am on the move, and need to search for the route to a particular destination, I won't be able to do it offline?

Thanks,

N900NewUser

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n900newuser

buzz13 wrote:

There's a work around described here

Read the full article

that allows the current version of Map-Loader to work with the N900.

I tried it & it didn't seem to change much. Hope you have better luck.

I can't get the navigation on N900 to work at all beyond showing a map & zooming & panning. However, I'm not sure that this is all the fault of the phone.

My solution was to move my SIM card to my N900 & use it as a phone / MP3 player etc & spent about 10 or 15 Euro on an extra year of navigation for my N95.

Every now & then Nokia release a phone that is outstanding.

The 2110i, 6310i & N95 fall into this category.

I get the feeling that the N900 has the potential to join this club.

Hi buzz13,

I have already loaded maps onto my device. But my question was whether we can use the maps, to search for destinations and so on, offline i.e., without connecting to the internet.

Thanks,

N900NewUser

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
oneFinn

Search in Maps does not work with the Maemo version. This is one of those **bleep** features.

You shoud contact Nokia and ask when N900 gets a decent version of Maps.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aurzippy

My friend I support you 100%. I feel the same way, word by word...

Please use plain text.