Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

News on PR1.3 and MeeGo

Professor

News on PR1.3 and MeeGo

Long post, have bolded the particularly relevant parts (i.e. N900)

http://meego.com/community/blogs/harrihakulinen/2010/meego-calling-n900

Hello aMeeGos,

After many busy months of MeeGo development, we have finally come to a stage that justifies proud blogging around our MeeGo for N900 adaptation project. As you may already suspect, or have heard from IRC or discussion forums, we now have 3G audio call functionality with proper ofono signaling and pulse audio stack working on N900, including our brand new open source modem adaptation for N900!

The achievement was possible because of extensive co-operation between our MeeGo N900 adaptation team and Nokia's Telephony and Audio team. Special thanks for this goes to people like Kai Vehmanen, Ameya Palande, Pekka Pessi, Jyri Sarha, Jouni Peltonen, and Sami Sirkiä. There has been a lot of work done around this topic by many people, I am not even aware of many of them, so a big thanks to everyone.

At this point, I need to remind you about the basics: MeeGo is an open source project and if you choose to install the MeeGo image to your N900 device, you do it completely at your own risk. If you are not confident that you know what you are doing with it and why, please don't use it at all. Especially now, if you start playing with call software under development, you need to watch after your phone bill, as well. Also, please use the latest repositories only, or the next weekly image that is downloadable from the MeeGo repositories every Monday.

There has been huge amount of work done in all areas during the summer and fall. Ameya Palande, Carsten Munk, and Marko Saukko managed to handle kernel updates, x-server update, Compiler update, SGX update, and so on. We are now running .35rc5 kernel with support for most devices on N900. Markus Lehtonen fixed the BME for us, so now we have battery loading working. There was also a bug in the wlan driver that was relatively hard to find. After Carsten had proven his theory about the bug, we got good support from Teleca Russia. Big thanks for Juri and others there for fixing that.

Later, during the fall, we have had hard time with some sticky bugs, and filling some smallish but time consuming holes in MeeGo core implementation. One of the hardest ones was the fight with the fennec browser. The ARM compilation of it proved to be especially tricky with the version of gcc compiler that we are using in MeeGo. After weeks of work, it now somewhat works, but we can’t get the latest version onboard before some nasty gcc compiler bugs are patched on MeeGo.

On the Maemo side, there have been interesting, supporting developments going on, as well. The PR 1.3 update is quite close now, and with that you can easily dual boot between Maemo and Meego on your N900. There is also a possibility of developing applications supporting both operating systems, based on Qt and Qt Mobility APIs on the Maemo side. It means that you can develop once in PC with Qt Creator, and test your applications on both Maemo and MeeGo, directly on your N900 device!

In July, Carsten was acting as N900 maintainer when I was on holiday. By now, it is obvious that he has done so much and fixed so many issues in the project, that he has earned that position officially. So, I am proud to announce that we will propose Carsten as the official N900 maintainer for MeeGo in the next TSG meeting. I am fully confident that he is the best single person on this planet to handle that position. Carsten is, of course, doing this fully supported by Nokia (financially and otherwise), but any individual person, like you, may request this important position.

I will continue as team leader for our MeeGo for N900 project, as I did previously. Clearly, technical responsibility for most of the issues related to MeeGo on N900 transfers gradually to Carsten, and I will help him as well as I can from inside Nokia.

We are now in last phase of MeeGo 1.1 finalization, focusing on fixing final release blocker bugs, making sure that everything that is in already actually works, and that the user experience of the first MeeGo version with the Handset UX is good. Creating this version is important because it gives developers, especially handset application developers, a relatively stable ground for stating their work.

At the same time, development of the MeeGo 1.2 release has already started. On N900 side, we will continue by integrating some interesting stuff from the latest Nokia and development repositories, including, SGX drivers, camera stack, and accelerated video decoders. We are trying to keep the 1.2 version as usable as possible, but during development, some images will work better than others, as usual.

Also, keep in mind the MeeGo conference in Dublin in mid-November. As you can see from the title of my talk, I am expecting a bright future for MeeGo on N900!

See you there, with MeeGo on N900,
Harri

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
k_vishal

Re: News on PR1.3 and MeeGo

What are the other major changes and enhancements coming with PR 1.3, any new features added besides "you can easily dual boot between Maemo and Meego on your N900. There is also a possibility of developing applications supporting both operating systems, based on Qt and Qt Mobility APIs on the Maemo side"

Please use plain text.
Professor

i don't know, I don't want for Nokia. All this means is 1.3 is definitely being released, and no doubt we can expect some bug fixes if nothing else. updated Qt is good because it *should* mean Symbian^3 apps can be shared on the N900 and MeeGo, as was said months ago.

How far MeeGo can go officially on the N900 will remain to be seen, but it's very encouraging to see that at least the device isn't dead to Nokia

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
k_vishal

richwhite wrote:

but it's very encouraging to see that at least the device isn't dead to Nokia

That Sums it up better...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

MeeGo 1.1 will be released on October 27, see MeeGo Wiki. Excerpt:

Technical Steering Group meetings/Handset UX update 10-13-10
    This will be an update on the MeeGo Handset UX 1.1 and 1.2 releases.

As a background, the MeeGo Handset UX project is run by the Handset project as defined in MeeGo governance and it's status can be best followed at wiki.meego.com/Handset_Program.

MeeGo 1.1 is almost there and final release is targeting to Oct 27. Let's discuss the focus of the last mile here.

MeeGo 1.2 planning is also well under way. We have a set of requirements set for planning to 1.2 and available in Featurezilla at 1.2 Handset Features. The plan is to address new Handset UX functionalities, like Camera and furthermore improve the Handset 1.1 feature set within existing applications.

The next phase is to form a detailed release plan out of the 1.2 Features these, targeting to a final release in April 2011.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Harri Hakulinen has a blog post about MeeGo coming to the N900 where also PR 1.3 is mentioned. Excerpt:

MeeGo calling - on N900
    On the Maemo side, there have been interesting, supporting developments going on, as well. The PR 1.3 update is quite close now, and with that you can easily dual boot between Maemo and Meego on your N900. There is also a possibility of developing applications supporting both operating systems, based on Qt and Qt Mobility APIs on the Maemo side. It means that you can develop once in PC with Qt Creator, and test your applications on both Maemo and MeeGo, directly on your N900 device!

So the release of PR 1.3 is synchronised with the release of MeeGo 1.1.

Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

ceroberts75 wrote:

Harri Hakulinen has a blog post about MeeGo coming to the N900 where also PR 1.3 is mentioned. Excerpt:

MeeGo calling - on N900

So the release of PR 1.3 is synchronised with the release of MeeGo 1.1.

That excerpt is boldened in the first post :smileyhappy:

But if it's synchronised with MeeGo 1.1 then it looks like we'll get it on the 27th

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

:/   soz...it was such an eye-sore, it didnt even attempt to read it.  :smileysad: 

Please use plain text.
Professor

No worries, i only skimmed it myself

Please use plain text.
Advisor
augstya

Hold your Horses.... No Official Dual Boot or Meego on the N900 !!

http://thenokiablog.com/2010/10/13/nokia-n900-pr13-dual-boot-meego/

Please use plain text.
Professor

augstya wrote:

Hold your Horses.... No Official Dual Boot or Meego on the N900 !!

http://thenokiablog.com/2010/10/13/nokia-n900-pr13-dual-boot-meego/

That should have been clear from the original post, MeeGo isn't at an end-user state yet

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

best news ever, alots of people were thinking that this device is dead, and .... including cpitchford, reading some of his posts here, the n900 guru really lost hope, i hope this is good enough to get us all back on the track, long live the n900, and THANK YOU NOKIA .

Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Professor
montana_uk

No-Go for Consumers

Update: Sadly the above mentioned is only for developers, and will not be available for consumers. This is a statement from Nokia that was given to Mark Guim of The Nokia Blog, the unofficial Nokia blog.

The Nokia N900 is used as development hardware for platform developers working with MeeGo on ARM hardware architecture. While the software from the MeeGo project runs on the Nokia N900 for development purposes, Nokia does not intend to provide a dual-boot OS option to consumers in upcoming N900 commercial software releases as we want to ensure that we provide the best possible experience designed for that device. The meego.com blog post was primarily targeted to the audience reading the blog: MeeGo developers.

------------

I don't care! I'll still do it, as long as the phone works as a phone!

If tnis post is a cure to your issue, please MARK IT AS SOLUTION.

If this post has helped anyone in any way, PLEASE SHARE YOUR KUDOS, by clicking on the GREEN STAR.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
augstya

But what it means is...It is (Meego) never going to be officially released to be used on N900. isn't that quite the meaning of what that guy from Nokia is saying...Not now, Not later..Not never... 

Please use plain text.
Professor

augstya wrote:

But what it means is...It is (Meego) never going to be officially released to be used on N900. isn't that quite the meaning of what that guy from Nokia is saying...Not now, Not later..Not never... 

That's not what it says. What it says is dual boot won't be available in 1.3. And i'm glad about that, MeeGo is at the developer stage, what the hell am I, you or most people actually going to do with it? Nothing. Plus i don't want to have to select 'Maemo 5' everytime i turn my device on, especially when the other option is something i couldn't use even if i wanted to.

People said 1.3 would never be released, it is. Whether MeeGo comes to us or not is irrelevant, the fact is we're getting another update. N900 is still the testing device for Nokia staff too, and what they said previously is IF it can be ported to the N900 given its hardware (which will be over a year old by the time MeeGo is out) then it will be, but they can't guarantee it. I'm fine with that, because a) I didn't buy it in the hope or expectation of MeeGo and b) Maemo 5 is absolutely fantastic anyway. I would much rather have Maemo 5 than MeeGo if it isn't fully compatible and can cause problems (like iOS4 on the 3G or 3GS)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
augstya

richwhite wrote:

augstya wrote:

That's not what it says. What it says is dual boot won't be available in 1.3. And i'm glad about that, MeeGo is at the developer stage, what the hell am I, you or most people actually going to do with it? Nothing. Plus i don't want to have to select 'Maemo 5' everytime i turn my device on, especially when the other option is something i couldn't use even if i wanted to.

People said 1.3 would never be released, it is. Whether MeeGo comes to us or not is irrelevant, the fact is we're getting another update. N900 is still the testing device for Nokia staff too, and what they said previously is IF it can be ported to the N900 given its hardware (which will be over a year old by the time MeeGo is out) then it will be, but they can't guarantee it. I'm fine with that, because a) I didn't buy it in the hope or expectation of MeeGo and b) Maemo 5 is absolutely fantastic anyway. I would much rather have Maemo 5 than MeeGo if it isn't fully compatible and can cause problems (like iOS4 on the 3G or 3GS)

I couldn't agree more !! Truly said correct...I dont know why people keep hoping and asking about porting Meego on N900 when it is has its own identity(MAEMO-5) which in itself is quite a bit of capable OS. I would rather have MAEMO as an OS on N900 and hope they (Nokia)keep pushing those software updates rather then have Meego installed on it...Only issue can be availability of Apps for MAEMO-5 But then you lose some..you win some...

Please use plain text.
Professor

augstya wrote:

I couldn't agree more !! Truly said correct...I dont know why people keep hoping and asking about porting Meego on N900 when it is has its own identity(MAEMO-5) which in itself is quite a bit of capable OS. I would rather have MAEMO as an OS on N900 and hope they (Nokia)keep pushing those software updates rather then have Meego installed on it...Only issue can be availability of Apps for MAEMO-5 But then you lose some..you win some...

Maemo5 is an incredible OS, and it's far more powerful than anything else on the market. I think the whole MeeGo debate is ridiculous, people want something for nothing. Had Nokia said from day one the N900 will get MeeGo and then changed their mind I'd understand, but they didn't. Symbian^1 owners aren't complaining that Symbian^3 isn't ported to the N97 or 5800, it's a separate OS.

As for apps, they share the same framework now so we should get the same apps for Symbian^3 and MeeGo. Maemo5 and the N900 could get a whole new lease of life from now on

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

so if what im reading is correct...

-pr1.3 does not come with dual boot option (according to nokiablog), however,

-pr1.3 will support a dual boot option (according to meego.com)

so basically its nothing different from what can already be done.

all we need to do is use the third party boot manager, and dual boot meego on the n900.

personally, i dont really see what n900 users are making a big fuss about meego at the moment. why would anyone want to ditch maemo when it already has hundreds of apps, themes, mods, etc. for a brand spanking new OS that will probably have a plethora of bugs and only a handful of functioning apps upon launch. sure, meego will have QT support which means it will support qt apps from symbian and maemo. but from what ive seen,  there arent that many apps designed using the qt framework floating around at the moment.

Please use plain text.
Sage
blwetorch

This is interesting.

But let me ask the Maemo gurus here...................how do you guys plan to handle 3 OSs now?

Incase Meego is available for developers/users............and also considering the Nitdroid, how can we manage the partitions?

How can we have 3 partitions from one Micro-SD card( 16  GB max) and one phone memory( 32 GB)?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

theoretically so long as you have enough memory to run it all, the the partistion is not going to be a problem.

Please use plain text.