Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

No UK Fw Update

Counsellor

No UK Fw Update

No uk f/w update yet? 3 days in and not a sniff in the UK. Can't nokia explain why please? A lot of customers are feeling left out!
Professor
montana_uk

Re: No UK Fw Update

I agree! Nokia, why do you not release updates for the UK anymore???? We got the first one, but not the last 3 (i believe) now.  

Is it because the UK are now classed as part of the "Global" variant, so we need to flash our devices to this to be able to update?

Problem with that is that I believe that invalidates the warranty if we have any problems with the phone afterwards, so I am reluctant to do such a thing, unless we are meant to.

So in short...HURRY UP AND RELEASE IT!!!!!!!!!

If tnis post is a cure to your issue, please MARK IT AS SOLUTION.

If this post has helped anyone in any way, PLEASE SHARE YOUR KUDOS, by clicking on the GREEN STAR.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

I too am disappointed with this.

When I first got the N900, within a week 1 update then a few weeks later 2 more all on the day of release.

Finally!! I thought, move away from Symbian and move away from all of the firmware delays.

Then it's announced that a new update has been released and the Symbian curse catches up and the UK is once again forgotten about.

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Contributor

Yeah, come on Nokia, what have we ever done to you... :smileywink: except buy your phones...

Mobile Guru

You know you're off to a losing start when 20% of all the firmware versions are in the UK alone..

If the middle east and north Africa have to share ONE firmware, they get it on day one.. the USA gets one firmware, and gets it on day one.. the rest of the world (global) get its firmware on day one..

the UK is left lagging behind..

What work are they doing? What is actually holding it up? is it compile time?What processes are being followed? It can't be quality assurance otherwise the UK firmware would presumably be better than the other firmwares (assuming the QA is effective.. and if it is ineffective, for example the QA for the ring tones on the N97, or the alarm clock accurace on S60-5th) then what is the point of doing it?

Release the firmware, it really isn't that big of a deal.

Professor

I bet they want to kill the 205 variant (can't remember is 203 or 205 the voda variant?)  It's an unnecessary complication whose origins are a mystery,

Professor
montana_uk

Ok - seriously...if we put the Global release on a UK phone, where do we stand for the future, warranty wise?

If this post has helped anyone in any way, PLEASE SHARE YOUR KUDOS, by clicking on the GREEN STAR.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

DrEJV wrote:

I bet they want to kill the 205 variant (can't remember is 203 or 205 the voda variant?)  It's an unnecessary complication whose origins are a mystery,

I Believe it's 205. 203 is the UK generic

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Mobile Guru

Vodafone: Hi Nokia, can we customise the N900 firmware?

Nokia: What is this, 2002? Haven't you heard, we're the new apple/Google/Palm.. grow the f up..

ooorrrr.

Nokia: Sure thing, so long as it means the UK will be shafted on a brand new phone platform that will drive them in droves to the competition who don't allow this type of thing..

Which answer helps us, and which answer doesn't really help anyone seeing as voda haven't done anything with the firmware, and anything they did do could be installed as a dpkg afterwards ANYWAY..

Seriously.. I don't want the handling of a car to change depending on which garage I bought it from.. why on earth are nokia STILL doing this and doing it so mind bogglingly badly.. they've NEVER said any positive reason why this is the case, specifically for unbranded handsets.. and why the rest of the world doesn't seem to suffer such terrible delays..

cutomised firmware.. its old.. really really old.. it makes me want an iphone, pre, android anything.. anything that means I'm not relying on a fictitious entity (names and photos or they don't exist!!) to get the firmware on my device..

Grow some balls, Nokia.. just tell them "NO", it'll make your lives easier.. just one firmware to support the world! How great would that be?!

Professor

montana_UK

No!  Firmware changes do not void any warranty.  What firmware changes void is your right to get support.

Example you have a voda N900 you put on global FW... call voda.  In the triage the tech will ask you what is the version of OS you are running, you read out the number, they say " That isn't a version of firmware we support..."  call over.

Since 98% of all N900 are not carrier dependent that scenario is not an issue. Nokia will fix your phone regardless of what firmware you have on it.

Professor

BTW why don't you UK dudes just free phone Nokia support  10 times each with the same issue and see what kind of action that gets you guys.

More productive then posting here

Professor
montana_uk

OK...I've done it...I've had it with Nokia shafting me, JUST because I live in the UK.  I don't care about customised Firmware - I just want a working phone, and one that gets updates when they are released, to fix issues that occur.

I'm now running Global firmware...

I'm not gonna call Vodafone if the phone breaks anyway, as they'll only send it to Nokia...may as well go direct to the source...that's where I bought the phone from anyway...

Mobile Guru

DrEJV wrote:

BTW why don't you UK dudes just free phone Nokia support  10 times each with the same issue and see what kind of action that gets you guys.

More productive then posting here

What free phone number would that be? It costs over here.. Is it free over there? That'd be about right!

Losing support is an issue

Hi Nokia, my phone doesn't seem to blah properly due to a firmware bug..

You'll need to wait for the new firmware

I'm already 4 versions behind and my 1 year support is almost up. Why is that

because the leeetlee peeexieeeezz are holding it up.. its not us, its them...

But this is a sim free, bought direct from you phone...

yeah.. but remember, this is benefiting you.. in some way.. neeeexxxt!!

Besides, I think installing a different firmware on a S60 handset would void the warranty as well as the right to service/support..

Maybe support is SO expensive for Nokia in the UK, they'll do anything to encourage you to self-harm your warranty!!

Professor
montana_uk

Well, I'm one of those who have now done it - self harming my warranty...Maybe by the time the phone dies and I can download a more up to date UK release (if they ever release one) and then send it to them etc...

Until then, I'm in the fast lane with the rest of the world now... :smileytongue:

Counsellor

so I'm on a 203 phone in the uk. If I go global because Nokia ignore its UK customers (starting to wonder why the hell I came back to Nokia aftre my last painful experience with the N96) will they shaft me if I have future problems? Got it from this www site... I am starting to lose interest in Nokias complacency when it comes to its uk customers. Either provide us with same experience as the rest of the world or leave this market. Going to start looking at Android me thinks. You know I wouldn't mind if they informed us as to why we have been left out to date but stunned silence is unacceptable in any type of business.
Counsellor
ras_tafari

I'n Re: No UK Fw Update

I'm not impressed with how nokia are treating uk users either, I had hoped buying it direct from nokia meant when new firmware is released that would mean no delays, as opposed to what has happened in the past when a network had to put their custom fw on it.

Nice of them to treat us as second class citizens, should this keep up, I will sell this handset and switch to a company who dont shaft the uk in this manner... Surely there must be one manufacturer who doesn't treat a major area for telecommunications with such distain?

Professor

[ Edited ]

Check this post from maemo.org/talk

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=534402&postcount=2

Cpitchford - yup toll free call in USA to contact Nokia

FWIW just switch to USA firmware you will save loads of characters typing words like color, labor....etc :smileytongue:

Advisor
ronaldo

"No! Firmware changes do not void any warranty. What firmware changes void is your right to get support." are you 100 % sure on this matter? because this wasn't the case few years back when i changed the firmware on my n95, nokia sent it back saying incorrect firmware
Nokia n900
Counsellor

i saw that thread earlier about uk being rolled with major update later this month. Not sure I believe what the Nokia adviser told Wes79. Past experience, especially when it came to being the N900 and the agro that turned into proved they dont know what they are talking about and tend to 'make things up. Why would the UK get a separate release?? I cant' believe the UK version is THAT different to the global version?! cheers Paul
Sage
drandywright

[ Edited ]

well I am fed up waiting...it was annoying enuff when we were waiting for VF/O2/Orange to add their custom **bleep** on the phone.  But with the N900 there is no excuse as they are not network locked anyway and there is no VF specifics on my phone.

So..time to get flasher out..I am going global :smileyhappy:  (assuming i can find the global FW :smileywink:)

as to the earlier comment that they are rolling them together..I never trust call centers, they say anything to get the call finished in their alloted call time.

Edit : got the FW, now to see if flasher plays nicely with my pc ;-)