Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N9 camera problem

kk2108N9

Nokia N9 camera problem

Hi

after updating my n9 to pr 1.2 i am getting an error whenever i try to open the camera app. the error is :

"The camera is not responding.Try again or restart the device of the problem continues."

I have tried restarting the device, clearing the device, restoring default settings and also the GPS on/off option.

But still the same error is being displayed. Please help me!! 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

Re: Nokia N9 camera problem

you can try a couple of things to get it working.

option 1

enable developer mode on your device
(settings/security/developer mode)

this will download and install some data, then reboot. when that is done, you should now have a "terminal" in your launcher screen that has "~$"

open terminal

type each line below, with enter at the end:

devel-su
rootme
apt-get update
apt-get install -f
apt-get upgrade

then try your camera if anything was installed to see if it was just a missing package.

option 2

you can try to reset all your settings to see if that is an issue.

settings/reset/restore settings
(this will not delete your pictures, etc. only reset the device to factory settings)

then try your camera to see if it is working.

option 3

you can try to reinstall the firmware by using the newest version of ovi suite.

option 4

you can try to completely wipe the device to factory state by

settings/reset/clear device

(WARNING: THIS WILL COMPLETELY WIPE ALL DATA OFF YOUR DEVICE SO TAKE ANY PICTURES/MOVIES/ETC OFF THE DEVICE FIRST)

this takes quite a while, but it is doing something! :smileywink:

option 5

you can try to flash it, but sounds like you are not familiar with doing this, so try the above first

option 6

take it to nokia.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Orchidea

You have already tried changing GPS options of Device, perhaps no help but I post my advice however...

Conflict in GPS options of the camera application and GPS options of the Device itself may cause issue. I have struggled a long time and then the solution in my N9 was solved as follows. If you are able by random to open the Camera app do it. Then go to Camera options by touching left upper corner. Go down and deactivate the GPS options (no blue buttons for the two GPS options). For me it was enough to cleanse only the Camera side but you can also cleanse video side by turning video mode on and going to the video settings in the same way.

I also turned off the GPS activity of the device. Settings->Device->GPS and location-> Turn off the first and the second option (Location, Data connection in mobile network). I'm not sure but it may be that the problem was that GPS activity was on in Camera but it was not allowed by Device itself.

The funny thing is that I have now tried to get the error again to find the reason for failing to open the camera application... no bad results any more :-O

Please post if you get help with the advice and if you find the final combination which causes the issue!

I'm again a happy Finnish N9 user and proud of Nokia :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Orchidea

Some additional info to my earlier mail. I found out that the major issue in Camera app is caused with the following settings:

1. CAMERA APP:

a. Photo mode-> GPS and Location activity is ON

b. Video mode-> GPS and Location activity is ON

2. DEVICE SETTINGS:

GPS settings are OFF

3. RESTARTING the mobile worsens the issue (I think it somehow re-confirms the GPS settings of DEVICE which is in OFF status)

When you now start Camera app it's very very slow,. The reason may be that the app tries to find GPS signal but the device settings do not allow it. The conflict causes the situation where you get an announcement "Camera is not responding. Do you want to close the app? Yes or No" If you answer No and you are patient the camera app may open succesfully but very slowly.

Shortly: never put the GPS of your DEVICE in OFF mode if your Camera app has GPS settings ON! Note that the problem arises only AFTER YOU HAVE ALSO RESTARTED(=RECONFIRMED OFF STATUS OF YOUR DEVICE GPS) Some issues may occur with other applications with "GPS ON".

If your camera app does not open with a long waiting try to put the GPS of your device in ON status and try again.

I hope that this helps you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
connor_aus

I've had the same problem. 

I read in a different forum to turn on the phones developer mode. I did so, and the camera seemed to have been fixed, however it has recently come up with that same message "The camera is not responding.Try again or restart the device of the problem continues." and I have no idea what to do now. Im going to try and plug it into my computer and select use as mass storage, because apparently by doing this technical issues with the n9 can be fixed and also downloading the newest version of Ovi Suite. Does anyone else know what to do? Because last time I downloaded the developer mode, I lost all my contacts and photos without warning. Does anyone else know how to fix this problem, otherwise I'm going to have to send my phone away for two weeks UGH! 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@connor_aus

Suggest you install latest Nokia Suite so that you an copy content and see if it shows facility to re-install existing device software otherwise you may need to try terminal commands posted by ceroberts75 or be prepared to possibly re-flash software which with this open source device you have the convenience.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bilal_06

from last 15 days i m also facing similar problem with my nokia n9 phone.

my nokia n9 phone camera is not responding.its showing same error tht is..

"The camera is not responding.try again or restart the device if the problem continues"

plz help me out.wht should i do reply me soon..........

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert

Check that you have GPS enabled in your phone if your camera is configured to save the GPS position. You may get an error in this situation if GPS is not enabled.

To enable GPS positioning in your phone, select Settings > Device > GPS and positioning > Device positioning.

Alternatively, if you want to keep GPS positioning disabled, disable Use GPS in the camera settings.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kwhitefoot

I know this is an old thread but it was helpful to me so perhaps another piece of 'evidence' might help others: in my case this seemed to happen after I explicitly put the device in power saving mode (/settings/device/battery/power saving mode = on). Your suggestion to make sure GPS was allowed by the device worked perfectly; thanks and upvoted.
Please use plain text.
BdPleasure

[ Edited ]

My N9 Camera is not working. Got message "Camera is not responding try again or restart the device if the problem continues" Did all sorts of try but still no works. Even my 3rd party flash light also not working. Any idea?

Thanks

Moderator's Note: We have edited your post. This is because you have provided a link to a third party website, which is not allowed to be discussed here in the official Nokia forum.

Please use plain text.
debexpert

Please use plain text.
debexpert

Resolved with RESET >clear device. It was acommon issue on Smbian after bringing itto Nokia Point

Please use plain text.