Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N9 doesn't boot

Mobile Guru

Re: Nokia N9 doesn't boot

FCC ID? What the product code, though.. This number is printed on the back of the sim card tray.. It starts 059 and is 7 digits long (with letters and numbers)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
aaccee

I have seen same problem, I connected device to PC even though not fully initialized, started latest version on Nokia Software Updater 3.0.495 the stand alone version NSU picked up the N9 and allowed to reinstall firmware, it seems to leave user docs Notes, Contacts etc, and remove any installed apps other than ones in firmware, but make a backup just incase

It has been operating ok since this.

Regards

AACCEE

Mobiles sure aint what they used to be. They get better

Please use plain text.
eschnepel

I have found it... Product code L6B7 Thanks a lot
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Axylottl

[ Edited ]

Hi!

I am the next one with this issue. I have uninstalled FB and twitter...

Might that be the problem? That would not be nice.

Has anybody tried these "dead USB" flash option? What exactly is it and how does it work?

Thanks

Axylottl

PS: My FCC ID: LJPK

N9 64GB Black (of course... ;-))

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

what's your product code, though? its on the back of the sim card tray, 7 characters, starts with 0

Anyway, what is your phone doing now? Spinning circle? recycle arrows? software error triangle?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Axylottl

Hi, thanks for the reply. Here are the missing Product Code: 059J1V4 64 GB

It does not do very much. If I plug it in the white light turns on, stays a while and then turns off again.

I have tried to flash it but after the boot sequence it stops saying the phonet is not reachable.

The display does not show anything at all.

Axylottl

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pobrN9

Well this is good fun isn't it...

I have the same problem and it also ocurred after trying to remove Facebook and Twitter using apt-get -remove.

In doing so I lost many other core functions such as: the ability to call, search contacts, all communications, the keyboard and most alarmingly the settings panel!  I thought that the APT dependency manager would know better.

Without the keyboard I couldn't reinstall the packages.

The thick plottens... 

The power key also stopped functioning normally, and after trying to reboot the device it is now unable to get beyond the "NOKIA" splashscreen.

I downloaded and installed the Nokia Software Updater, but this insists that the device is switched on and it refuses to play.

My product key codes are J239.  It is a 64GB model.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Axylottl

Hi!

Now  i had a litttle success usiong the manual flasher tool.

At least it is charging now. I guess this was rthe reason why that "easy" flash tool did not work...

I'll post my advanced here...

So far:

----------------

sudo flasher -F /virt-share/059J1V4/DFL61_HARMATTAN_20.2011.40-4_PR_LEGACY_001-OEM1-958_ARM.bin -f
flasher 3.12.1 (Oct  5 2011) Harmattan
WARNING: This tool is intended for professional use only. Using it may result
in permanently damaging your device or losing the warranty.

Suitable USB interface (bootloader/phonet) not found, waiting...
USB device found at bus 002, device address 009.
Device identifier: 357923042466377 (SN: N/A)
Found device RM-696, hardware revision 1601
NOLO version 2.1.5
Version of 'sw-release': DFL61_HARMATTAN_20.2011.40-4_PR_001
Sending ape-algo image (7032 kB)...
100% (7032 of 7032 kB, avg. 6422 kB/s)
Suitable USB interface (phonet) not found, waiting...
USB device found at bus 002, device address 010.
Device identifier: 357923042466377 (SN: N/A)
Raw data transfer EP found at EP2.
Ping attempt 1 (250 ms)
Server application: 1.6.3
Found product RM-696 rev. 1601
Server implements softupd protocol version 1.8
Image SW version DFL61_HARMATTAN_20.2011.40-4_PR_001
Image moslo not present
Image mmc not present
Image tar skipped
Image config skipped
Charging battery,  0 % battery level (11 % required). Ctrl-c to exit
---------------
To be continued...

Axylottl

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pobrN9

Axylottl,

How did you reflash it?

Was yours booting?

I cannot get past the "NOKIA" splashscreen?

Ta. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Axylotti

If you get to a point of  "Boot looping" so it gets past "Nokia" to "spinning circle" and then "hangs" let me know, although hopefully a charged battery will make all the difference!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Axylottl

[ Edited ]

Nick, my N9, was not doing anything at all, not even a boot screen.

First I tried the Nokia easy flasher

http://wiki.meego.com/N950_landing_page

But i did not work. So I did it manually:

[LINK REMOVED]

Getting the bin was the hardest part because I use no windows and my qemu is quite slow...

Now I am still wating for nick to get ready:

Charging battery, 10 % battery level (11 % required). Ctrl-c to exit

Axylottl

Moderator's note: Link removed as it contained references to unauthorized software

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pobrN9

Hm...  Nothing I do seems to make any difference.

It doesn't even say if it's charging.

The battery wasn't particularly flat before the problems started.

I'll let it charge for a while longer and see if it makes any difference, but I'm not optimistic at the moment.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Axylottl

He is alive!!!

-------------

Battery level 11 %, continuing.

image        [state    progress         transfer     flash speed]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[x] cert-sw      [finished   100 %       1 /       1 kB      NA     ]
[x] cmt-2nd      [finished   100 %      95 /      95 kB      NA     ]
[x] cmt-algo     [finished   100 %     789 /     789 kB      NA     ]
[x] cmt-mcusw    [finished   100 %    6050 /    6050 kB    3035 kB/s]
[x] xloader      [finished   100 %      23 /      23 kB      NA     ]
[x] secondary    [finished   100 %      93 /      93 kB      NA     ]
[x] kernel       [finished   100 %    2712 /    2712 kB    1796 kB/s]
[x] rootfs       [finished   100 % 1102340 / 1102340 kB   12468 kB/s]
Updating SW release
Success
------------

Nick is booting and asks for the initial setup. Nice.

So, now I know how to repair, so I will apt-get remove fb again to see if this is the reason for this...

But first of all I will wait for a filled up battery... ;-))

cu

Axylottl

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pobrN9

I'm back in business now thanks to Axylottl and XeN's tutorial!  Cheers.

It's nice to know that I can salvage the device from the brink of despair - it gives more confidence to tinker.

However, It seems that there is no FW verion 40.4 for the J239 model...

Please use plain text.
CDNToothpaste

Hi there, could you link/name to the page about manually flashing it? (and could Nokia not remove information without providing any actual solution)

I got my N9 just a few weeks ago  from abroad and am getting a similar problem. It contantly reboots when plugged in and is stuck at the screen with "Nokia" (no circles).

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

Hi Badkya,

Mine didn't work and I took it to NCC... they have replaced the all inside stuff.

Good Luck.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

Re: Nokia N9 doesn't boot (UAE, United Arab Emirates, Dubai, Abu Dhabi)

Hi Fellows, As per my experience: (sorry for lengthy post)

1. If your N9's LED light is not flashing during charge- it's faulty and ask for replacement.

2. If your N9 is not booting, and it comes with an error of LED light as well, NCC will not be able to repair it - as they haven't done it for my device.

3. If NCC repaired your device, it may not detect SIM CARD.

My N9 64GB Black: Country bought from: UAE, United Arab Emirates.

1. Bought on the first day of release.

2. LED Light was not flashing while charging, I thought it's software bug and will be fixed.

3. I installed Foursquare, during the signing it device got hanged and I just turned it off.

4. It never turned on again.

5. Searched and tried all possible method available online, including flasher which was hard to understand and apply.

at Nokia Care:

1. NCC took my N9 and updated the software and returned within 2 days - I actually lost the right to replace it within 7 days when I thought LED is software bug and 7 days were passed.

2. When they returned, i didn't care of LED light and was happy that device is working at least - enough for me.

3. My previously used sim card was not detected by the phone, however one sim of Nokia Care was detected by the phone - they advised me to buy a new sim card so I did.

4. The sim card worked perfectly for 2-3 hours and after that phone gave me an error of Sim Not Inserted showing the ICON.... I tried several time but it didn't work.

5. I took it back to Nokia Care, they replaced the device or whatever with new IMEI No. but my cover, accessories remained same.

6. Now phone working flawlessly, without any issues.

7. I have disputed case with Nokia Care Line about warranty - store told me warranty is for 24 months, Warranty hotline shows 15 months - and 3rd Party Nokia Partner for Warranty Claim/repair (aka Nokia Care) says it comes with 12 month warranty. My new IMEI number is not yet updated in the system and says NO WARRANTY EXISIT FOR THIS DEVICE.

(It was pretty bad and awful experience wasting my lot of time, if you have any issue with your new device, replace it within 7 days without waiting for sofware update, specially the LED Light issue - try and install all available software and run them, test from every aspect.)

May be the above will help you guys to take action for your problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Axylottl

[ Edited ]

Hi,

So after a week with Nick I am quite sure, something if wrong with the facebook stuff.

The devices immediatly does not boot anymore after removing fb with apt-get.

If I do so, all other program, like system-ui are marked as "autoinstalled" and would be removed if you type apt-get autoremove.

So, this might explain, why I will  not boot. but why was the depencies for fb was made so hard???

It might be a nce idea to install a vanilla directly from meego. Perhaps I will try this a little later but now I need Nick to work

I anybody needs some "lost" links, contact me...

Axylottl

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mindthegap

Hi all,

I do have a very similar issue like you guys. Now for the second time my Nokia N9 greets me with this "too many reboots" warning and just lets me switch off the phone. After it happened the first time I reflashed it (thanks Axylottl) and it worked again. Now I will do this again, but again all my installed applications are gone. This is really going on my nerves and I hope there will be a solution soon. Even if if it is a manually one.

Both times I did not remove anything from the system, but activated developer mode. I added some more repositories for apt through the terminal, installed some software, but did not actually change anythin system related. So it seems to me that the first reboot after the activation of developer mode it already breaks. I will look into that after the next reflashing to see if I can find a pattern.

Anyway, I am happy that the reflashing works in the first place. But Nokia, please, find a solution to that issue.

Tom

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mindthegap

Hi,

sorry, I can't seem to find the "edit" button for my last post. After I flashed my N9 the second time I carefully watched the content of /etc/network/interfaces. As I read before a blink file there could lead to boot problems. With all my actions on the phone (mainly installing software on the command line in devel-su mode) the file stayed as it was from the beginning.

I switched my phone off over night and this morning it again was not able to boot. But instead of the "too many reboots" error it just hangs. When I press the power button, the white LED in the bottom left of the screen **bleep** up, a vibration is issued and the "Nokia" text appears. And this is where it stays and kind of freezes. In this state I still can still switch it off with the power button, but this is all I can do. Has anyone an idea what do do in that situation?

Thanks,
Tom
Please use plain text.