Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N900 and PC Suite

Sage
blwetorch

Nokia N900 and PC Suite

Well, PC Suite or Ovi, both are not yet fully supported on Nokia n900, unfortunately.

I used to use the PC Suite conveniently to send SMSs by typing it thru my laptop.

It was a very convenient way of searching SMSs by subject or by the sender's number. I could also copy/paste an SMS sender's number and save as a new Contact.

It was also a convenient way of searching the Contacts also, by typing in a few keywords or a few numbers.

I am missing all these functionalities badly.

Well, Nokia n900 will eventually substitute my laptop......atleast that is my intention................but I am not there yet. Even then, I shall require the convenient search/ editing facilities in the PC Suite/ Ovi to manage the Contacts and Messages.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

Re: Nokia N900 and PC Suite

not sure what your question is, but have you tried ovi 2.2?

as for searching for contacts. you can just go on the device, and type in a name on the keyboard (when on desktop or in contacts) and it will find the contact for you.

Please use plain text.
Sage
blwetorch

[ Edited ]

I have tried the OVI 2.2.

It is working fine for the Contacts, but Messaging ( or managing the SMSs is not yet supported). It doesn't show the messages coming into my mobile as yet.

I am missing the convenience of typing out the reply in the laptop itself.......which can be done on the mobile too, I admit.

From  the message list, you could create and save contacts.

Basically I am missing the flexibility of the Message/SMS list, that I used frequently for my older mobile with PC Suite.

I hope, the next version will take care of this issue..........................and may be by that time, I shall feel more comfortable using the keypad of Nokia n900 for those activities.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

if you receive a message on the n900. tap the bar up the top 'sms - insert number', tap open contact card, then you have the option of merging with an existing contact or adding the number to a new contact.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
bandofbrothers

I tend to use the suite for another way of backing up my fone, period.
Nokia Lumia 1020
iphone 5s16gb - black/slate

Be happy !!
Please use plain text.
Sage
blwetorch

Thanks for the tip.

just curous............can we do the old-fashioned copy/paste in the text editor..............or do we need something like an open-office ( yet to download that)?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

you can do copy and paste in almost everything.

highlight the text, press ctrl c to copy, and ctrl v to paste.

to copy and paste in the web browser you need to bring up the cursor first.

i find this is easier with the browser frames visible. on the left hand side of your screen, just above the address bar and below the middle of the screen, swipe your finger from left to right (its easier if you start this gesture just off the screen). then the arrow icon pops up. tap it and you gain access to the cursor. then just highlight whatever text, press ctrl c on the keyboard to copy.

Please use plain text.
Sage
blwetorch

Thanks a lot Sever!

Please use plain text.