Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N900 and voice navigation

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

Nokia N900 and voice navigation

Can we hope having the voice navigation in the Ovi Maps application soon or not ?

Because I can't use my one year subscription to the voice navigation...

And for me GPS receiver without voice navigation is nothing.

Is there any information from the Maemo Team about the addition of vocal navigation ?

Thank you  !

EverBeFree
Please use plain text.
Professor

Nokia is working on it as fast as they can....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Oh so it's a good news !
EverBeFree
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

As of this writing , it seems voice navigation is not available yet . I think Nokia is still "migrating" into Maemo and their priority is to make their apps compatible with Maemo. 

Hopefully there will be a voice navigation for N900 so don't lose hope my friend! 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hope I don't step on any Nokia toes now; Sygic has announced a N900-version of their navigation software at the end of 2009; more
Please use plain text.
AIRmin

Thats that there is no voice navigation is also a problem why I can't save favorite places ?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jmcgroddy

This is listed as solved and the reply was that we are working on it 

"Nokia is working on it as fast as they can.."

This was back in 02 Dec 2009

When should we expect an update?

Nokia claim to give out free Navigation on this phone, but without voice guidance its not navigation!

Not unless you are planning on crashing your car while looking at the map anyway!

Free navigation forever on Nokia smartphones. Except N900!

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

actually, doesnt need voice navigation for it to be called navigation.

nokia have announced they have no plans to bring voice navigation to the n900 last time i checked. 

look into mappero, from the apps manager. theyve got voice navigation, although its only in a few languages at the moment.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jmcgroddy

mappero is like a beta app,very rough around the edges. It uses google maps so you cant save maps to the device. now if you are away it costs a fortune to use you navigation. A very poor solution.

Server: If you think its navigation without voice guidance, best of luck! You try navigating busy traffic in a foreign country while using what Nokia call navigation on the N900. Its more likely to take you to the nearest car crash, than to your destination.

After years of using the N95 Navigation (I still have a licence that I cant use!) then the N97 with free maps and then an upgrade???  to the N900, and the maps have gone?? 

I was told that Maemo was the way forward, symbian was dead!!

I would love to actually hear from nokia as to the plans for the future of the N900. Will we ever get Navigation back?

Please use plain text.
Laurentius26

[ Edited ]

If Nokia want to keeps his custommers they should better take care of them imo.

Maybe they like to concur the market with there free navigation for Nokia phones but first thing 

they should do is make that possible for N900. Navigating maps manual without voice navigation pretty sucks I'm sorry to say, it's unusable in the car. :-( It's even against the law touching the screen while driving. The software says by car or walking. If Nokia can tell me how to navigate by car I will take my words back.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hey Nokia can you hear your customers ?

We want voice navigation for our Nokia N900 !

EverBeFree
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rrarra

Actually I agree with the guys  all phones with life time navigation have voice navigation except the n900 which is also advertised as such so when I " upgraded " was very disapointed to not get a usable navigation system.Instead i have to use my old phone for it I would never have bought this phone knowing this.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ghaziabad

I update daily my Nokia N900 in hope of Voice Navigator, however, end up with disappointment. Can Nokia give date or month oy year in which it will be available on n900 or not possible so that users can take final call.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

last time i checked, nokia announced a while back that they would not be bringing voice navigation to the n900.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vvksk

I am not sure if anyone from Nokia tech group ever watches this forum but if anyone is watching then please see if the network proxy issue can be fixed for N900 as a high priority item. thanks
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Raybos

Hello ..well actually i cant use my N900 as a Gps..its just writting all the time looking for gps then it says no gps signal..i download it the new maps updates of all europe and its not working ..any suggestions ??thnks .

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
oneFinn

Personally I don't believe that Nokia is bringing Maemo version of Maps to same level as other Nokia phones supporting Maps.

At the moment, Maemo version is badly outdated and basically useless for navigation (I'm not talking about voice nav, that was never promised), there is no re-route, no use POI's et cetera. Those functionalities have been in Symbian version for ever..

N900 is a forgotten oddity in Nokia's portfolio. Good HW, solid OS, nice platform for developers to test forthcoming MeeGo OS, users..who cares..

But for end-users it looks to be dead meat, Nokia seems to have no intrest to to bring core apps up-to-date. Assumed PR 1.3 looks like bug fix release. Check the maemo.org for fixed bugs in, say, Maps..nothing.

Only answer from Nokia is deep silence or meaningless responses starting "Dear customer, we don't have any..."

Please use plain text.
nandworld

I called quits to Nokia and moved to IPhone 4.  I have bought a N900 and had been hoping Nokia would support the phone. The top end phone is a dead meat and nokia cares a damn.  

I think the future of Nokia is finished what with Nokia still sticking to Symbian and doesn`t even state officially which direction its going to (Meego?).

The entire management has to be immediately replaced for killing such a good company which may not even survive for long (max 2015).  The strange part is being market leaders, why couldn`t they create a OS like Apple, Google who are relatively new entrants. 

God knows if N900 will be supported in future Meego Versions or our your money gone down the drain.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: Nokia N900 and voice navigation - Sygic

[ Edited ]

Sygic, $50 per license, it works flawlessly.

Moderator's note:

This post has been edited. Inappropriate use of words are not allowed in this forum.

Regards.

Please use plain text.