Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia & Microsoft

mavey80

Nokia & Microsoft

Hello,

I just wanted to say bye to Nokia. I've been using Nokia phones since the dawn of the modern mobile phone age, since I was just a kid in high school well over 10 years ago, and always loved them, supported Nokia and spent time in battles under the Nokia banner. Thank you for those phones.

However, your latest corporate decisions really unsettled me and after your partnership with Microsoft, the decision to quit on Linux & Symbian, I have to say - I really hate to see you turning in that direction. You've always been pioneers and industry leaders and for that I respected & supported you. But now, after your marriage with Microsoft, burning everything you've worked on, in a shameless and misguided move to make as much money as humanly possible, my admiration for you died irevocably. In my eyes, you couldn't sink any lower. If your primary intetion is indeed massive US market penetration in the smartphones category, which I don't believe, you're guaranteed to fail with WP. Masses don't want that Windows **bleep** in their phones. I know I don't and I'm not going to stick around and keep licensing SW like Maemo/Meego/Symbian that's destined for oblivion even before it's manufactured.

I'm throwing away my N900 and getting LG Optimus 2X in two days just to spite you with an Android device way better that anything you're manufacturing right now and I'm never coming back.

Good luck with your Microsoft marriage. It's going to poison your brand just like they infected everyting they touched.

Professor
Mick_H1

Re: Nokia & Microsoft

:smileysurprised:Noooooooo, don't throw the N900 away. Donate it to a worthy cause.

ME:smileyhappy:

Professor
virajxx3006

lamo!! Thats a good one Mike_H1 :smileywink:
"You may loose faith on us.. But never in your selves! From here, the fight will be your own.."

_____________[Protect Transformers]_____________
mavey80

It's way too customized for BFU's. :smileyhappy: I've spent a lot of time with the SDK and hildon hacking...

Good luck with Nokia's last Linux phone - the promised "N950". I hope it won't suck like N900 did because of unimplemented features and bugs everywhere. After all, one expects better workmanship for these "flagship" prices.

Professor
Mick_H1

At the end of the day it's your choice. You don't have to tell everyone about your decision.
A lot of Maemo/MeeGo supporters were completely miffed*/ annoyed*/ upset* (Delete where applicable)' at Nokia's decision and the way they [Old Nokia] handled Maemo.
For me, the N900 is everything I wanted. It's free of all the restrictive, crippling, network branding crudd that everyone have come to expect with other devices. I can do almost all of the online work that I can on my PC without having to use a mobile version of anything or downloading an app first. I can even go to the forum that I run and work in the admin panel, adding and removing features, finding ip addresses of spammers and banning them, etc.

I'm not a pro when it comes to the N900, but I've overclocked, installed other hacks and made other changes that made my @rsehole pout in fear of trashing everything. I've learned a lot about the N900, but the biggest thing I've learned is that I don't need anyone to hold my hand and gawp over my shoulder when I want to do something or call me a naughty boy when I do something that it wasn't designed to do.

The N900 can't do some of the things that my N95 can (yet), but if I could program for it I could change all that (Without asking anyone's permission). And I certainly won't be throwing it away anytime soon.

Counsellor
daf_57

nicely said.