Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia n900 in my hand

Sage
TRDN900

Nokia n900 in my hand

hi :

i have Nokia n900 in my hand , it is amazing , fast 

let me if u guys have question regarding phone...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You lucky sod. :smileyhappy:

We want a full review with pictures as soon as you get a chance.  

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I too would like a review on the device! I am expecting it anytime now(i got notice that my n900 was prepared for shipping last week). And could you compare it to other devices you have used in the past. That would be great.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

hi, i got mine too and i don't compare it to any other devices i've used before specially the horrible one N97 and i think nokia should find a way to put the maemo on n97 also because symbian fail to compete with the other challenging devices software.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi, I have some questions.

• Digital compass
  • Java
  • MMS
  • Ovi Maps 3.0
Does the N900 support the above and if not can they be added later(ofc I don't mean Digital compass)?
Please use plain text.
Sage
TRDN900

hi guys

sory for late:

1.N900 i fast in all ways, download, upload, installation, openning and closeign and kind of task, i tried to keep all application open and still it was super fast.

2. java i tired and it is working( i thinkin depend in ur network operator)

3. no MMS

4. maps are pefect

5. zoom and camera for such headset is amazing( i don't need 12 megapixel)

5. battery life, 1 day and half.

6. game : just think u play PS3 or PC game

7. sound : 5.1 (like home theater)

8. perfect touch with nokia pen and human hand. 

9. amazing reseloution , like HD 1080i

10. 2G, 2.5G, 3G, 3,5G all support

11 one thing i feel battery is not suppose to be for this mobile, it shold be more powerfull.

12. sensors and keboard are perfect,

13, u have light for phone on, miss call, message, etc.... dirrefetn color.

more need let me know

compare to other E90 i was using N900 is much much better .

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

ima pre-order person from 9/1/09 and all my orders were canceled by nokia  :smileysad:  now i wait!  lol

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.

does the microphone on the headset work?  Mine doesn't. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

any of the usual round of Nokia bugs or is the device actually usable as advertised, unlike that piece of junk the N97.

What about apps?  iPhone leads the pack so is Maemo any good on the app front.

And calendar syncing - I use goosync.com to sync with multiple Google calendars - I heard Nokia removed SyncML support - can it sync with multiple Google calendars *over the air*?

Please use plain text.

I ordered an n900 from nokia's website on 9 Nov.

It arrived Fed Ex ground today.

The microphone does not work.

Everything else I've tested works fine (home wifi, AT&T cell-based internet, ...).  The phone works with a headset.  But it doesn't work like a phone.  When talking, the microphone icon has a red bar through it that never goes away.

If I poke the icon, I get a message about it now being muted; if I poke again, it says it's unmuted.  But the red bar doesn't go away, and it doesn't work.

It occurs to me that perhaps there's some internal switcherooney that notices that a headset is plugged in, and prehaps that is broken.

So I have to send back a brand new phone to get it repaired?

Who are these guys?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

lucky you...i preordered on sept, 10, 2009 and still did not get mine!  :smileytongue:

as for the mic issue, it seems that it may be stuck on mute.

try to find the settings by going through the menus (if i had one, i would know more, maybe someone else can help you better on that part) and check to be sure that you are open to use on your settings and not muted.

if that doesnt work, try to see what happens after a reboot, which you probably already tried.

if that doesnt work, try to reformat the unit,

if that doesnt work, try to completely reinstall the OS

and...if all that fails, send it back!    i would try all the above first, because regardless of the time to try it all, it is going to be much longer when you send it it and expect a return.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Disappointment by Nokia ... again.  I have heard of this microphone issue, do Nokia do ANY testing??

No wait, why do testing when you can outsource it to paying consumers, now there's a brilliant business strategy.

Good one Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I'm having the same mute button issue
Please use plain text.
Advisor

i think you might be over thinking it, mine has the mic with a red strike through it also.  but i believe that is just the icon to let you know when you put the mic on mute. i called myself and could hear myself perfectly then once i hit the button it says mic muted.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Sorry - I'm being thick here....

What is the solution?  I've tried making a call and pressed the mute button a few times to have 'mic on' and 'mic off'' and each time the other person cannot hear me.

What have others done to get this to work - grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

is this something that has recently happened or has this always been the case with your phone?

Some people have reported the microphone on the handset does not work on their handsets. They have either returned their phones for a refund or a replacement. In some cases this has been a lengthy (and ongoing) process I'm afraid

If, however, your handset HAS worked since you first received it, then it could be a mute problem.. It is worth looking for the recorder package to test the microphone..

If your microphone has always been silent, you may have a dud I'm afraid.. bad luck there :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Gutted!

Got a dud :smileysad:

I'm sure that once the new firmware is released, the problem will go away. As it is I've had the phone one day and am going to have to send it straight back :smileysad:

Thanks for your help - everyone is so friendly on these forums!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

That is a reai shame.. It's seems to be affecting lots of people, but I suppose only people with problems come to these forums to ask! Few people are here to say "hey mine works"

It's almost certainly a manufacturing problem, rather than firmware..

Depending on where you bought the phone, you might be able to exchange it.. particularly if it was a shop, and particularly if in the UK (not sure about elsewhere)

Not that it is much consolation, I've not heard of a phone that arrived working and whose mic stopped working later.. they all seem to be dead out of the box.. 

Have a look at this thread

/discussions/board/message?board.id=maemo&thread.id=68

Maybe you can post in there to let us all know how you get on

Sorry dude

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Bought in the UK on a credit card, so not too worried at this stage........

Good old Mobile Phones Direct (who are Nokia's official retailer for the UK anyways)

Thanks once again......

Please use plain text.
Advisor

My first impressions:

picked up from the flagship store in regent st on Sumday and had to take the kids shopping for pressies so couldnd play with it for a good few hours until i got back home.... very frustrating .)   i did take a peak and was suprised at how small the phone looks 'in the flesh'  keyboard is nice and compact but could pose probs for people with fat fingers. 

if you place on top of an iphone its almost exactly the same size. just a lot thicker.

screen is stunning when you spark it up for the first time and the browser blows any device of this class out of the waterby a wide margin.   im writimg this review on my device whilst in bed .)  excuse any typos....

i did a lot of research before parting with my money and there was a lot of internet chat about battery life.  the first two charge cycles gave me resonable performance and now i can easily get a day of pretty heavy use from 8am until 1900.. wont go into my usage but battery aint an issue for a device of this class and as we are only on public firmware release 1 it can only get better.

after the excitement of powering on subsided i felt a bit dissapointed' especially seeing it cost me 500 quid. this lasted a day. it takes a bit of getting used to the interface and then it all starts to come together. yes there are a few interface issues that need sorting. my main gripe at he mo is currently no mail4exchange support for 2k3 but that can be sorted and the maemo boys are looking into it.

compared to previous handset releases this one seems to have gone very well if you take into account this is the first maemo device that nokia have released that is also a phone.i like to call it a hybrid :smileyhappy:

i can now say im loving it and my netbook is now gathering dust.  i can browse the internet whist watching tv with the wife and its just as good as a netbook but a lot more portable!!

camera up to normal nokia high standards geotagging works well for me. very fast plus like the tagging of images for searching large albums.  im also loving the customisation possibilities of the whole desktop.  once i got the hang of the phone i spent 6 hrs adding and moving stuff about so everything i use daily is a click away.

once mfe is running contact calandar sync will be good. done an initial sync through the suite and the calandar\contacts diisplay is first class. possibly due to the nice screen res. it all fits on nicely and the calandar month view is so much better than on my bb. looks similar to outlook

x terminal aint too bad for the more advanced users. i set font to green with black background for a nice retro look. much better than the default! font size can also be reduced due to the nice screen so u can see a lot more text and its still clear

reckon in the next few days ill have more to say but the device defiately grows on you the more you discover..

Please use plain text.