Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro...

Glue

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro-usb port getting detached

Well I sent it off for repair last week and it has now come back all fixed .. the screen is still mine but they have replaced the bottom half so i am at least happy about that ... just one question though .. without risking voiding warranty by opening it up is there any way to tell whether or not the new motherboard will feature the same shoddy workmanship as the last one? I ask because it was 15 months before it broke first time around so it seems that given the short battery life i am going to charge it up just as much as i used to so it's going to happen again isn't it? and this time i may not be so lucky as my 2 years will probably be up. Will Nokia do the decent thing and extend my warranty?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

Hi Glue, I'm glad to hear that this got sorted!

From what I have understood, this problem should not be too likely to re-appear after it has been repaired.

But if something should still go wrong, please take it up immediately with Nokia Care in your country. The warranty period and terms vary from region to region so we in the global Nokia Discussions team can't really comment or make promises on behalf of any country.

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.

When I sent in my N900 for repair the repair people or the the Sunrise shop in Geneva, Switzerland stole my mini USB line and it took them five weeks to get me my phone back. Nokia droped the ball again. 

Please use plain text.
Glue

you say that from what you have heard that it is unlikely to happen again. Is that because they have taken steps to ensure that it doesn't? like for example reinforcing the connector? do you know if they have acted on the info about short battery life and the subsequent frequent need to plug in the charger and/or USB cable? It would be interesting to see if they have made any improvements but since this device has been discontinued in the shops for some time i sincerely doubt it.

The thing that Nokia would do well to take note of is that according to owners of the N900, Nokia have not made anything like as good a phone since and they would do well to make a 'N900 version 2' I am pretty sure it would sell well

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

I have been reading through various forums and this seems to be a common problem with N900.. This, I perceive, is a design flaw and not a manufacturing defect nor is it due to unusual wear and tear.. I believe I spent too much money on this phone (in Jan 2010) and have taken due care in use..

For my problem, Nokia USA guided me to a third party to whom I am expected to ship my phone and who would charge some $65 even before looking at what the problem is.. If Nokia has the least amount of ethics, they should extend warranty for this problem..

Nokia is screwing around with customers and lying that a "few limited devices" have this problem.. Surely, thousands of posts on this problem across various forums does not represent that.. There needs to be an audit on the number of reported complaints, instead of localizing the problem and diffusing the extent of mess that they have created..

This is utterly disgusting. I hope someone will have the decency to respond and the dignity to uphold their company's already sinking name.

If not, I will solder it myself as I cannot rely on Nokia anymore..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rahul2010

help me plz..

i have problem with n900:

1. how can i assess my previous messages in the mobile as there is no seperate inbox option.everything is combined within converstion dialogue , which doesnot opening the previous message , rather it open a new sms box to send to that particular contact..even i cannot delete previous conversation and messages from the conversation box inspite of the prescence of delete option.

2. about misscall , if i miss the call i could not see it , i could only see recieved or dialed no.s in contact.

3. same is the condition with messages , if u miss them u will not open them again despite of they are being shown in conversation box

4.plz atleast give a support for mobile dictionaries , i downloaded files under QSTAR DIC and

MSTaRDICT but its not working

5. what the use of front camera if i can not do videocalling or use it as camera to take pics.

i have return the same things manytime no body is reponding tell me the solution....

its not good for consumerism and nokia knows it much better than us..

plzzzz...i request from nokia to help me plz.. to provide there solution in upcoming firmware updates. tell me the approx date of new update

thanxs

Please use plain text.
OzKu

[ Edited ]

Well, I sent me phone to repair two weeks ago. Today I got call from my local dealer. He said "They've sent you a N8." First i tougth he was kidding, but then when I went to store, he showd me the package and the message. I can't understand how does nokia think, when I buy smartphone, espcially Maemo phone, I'd be pleased to get S60 phone back. I don't like to say this, but now i know that my next phone wont be nokia.

Ps. I would think Nokia repair would work fine. But no, not in Finland...

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

[ Edited ]

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all about this.

@Ozku, I'm sorry to hear that you weren't happy with receiving a N8 as the replacement. Email me at support.discussions@nokia.com with your contact information and more details so I can ask Nokia Care in your country (you're in Finland?) to get in touch with you.

@rahul2010 please start another thread for your questions and check cerobert75's reply to you in http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Maemo-Devices/Maemo-Conversations/m-p/1034177

@Vmoc Please email me at support.discussions@nokia.com so I can ask Nokia Care in the US to be in touch regarding your repair.

@cdoebbler, you can also email me or contact Nokia Care in Switzerland directly: http://www.nokia.ch/support/kontakt
I am sure they would appreciate your feedback.

@Glue, the repair will just fix a faulty connector. Battery consumption is more due to software processes and usually improvements to it are made via software updates. Since it's been a while since the last N900 update, battery consumption should be at the same level as before the repair. (I've used my own N900 for 13 months now and I charge it every night.)

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Glue

see this is my concern, i too needed (and still do need) to charge mine daily (or nightly), The N900 is in a way a victim of it's own powerfulness, it's an immensley versitile device and they should have known it needed a more powerful battery or at least made provisions for a more sturdy charging socket.

It is, in many way a scaled down laptop and, as with a laptop, it has a full operating system. But unlike a laptop it is constantly left on all day so it needs charging daily, that means plugging in at night, unplugging in the morning every single day (i have to charge mine daily even if it's just left on standby) so over the course of it's 2 year warranty that's going to amount to some 1,460 pushes and pulls on the connector and that's not counting the times you connect it to the PC for software exchanging. They must have known this and that it was bound to wear out within a matter of months

I do wonder why they didn't design it with a separate charging socket like the n95

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
defleppard

My N900 lost it's USB Port to and within a week later my boss's N900 quit charging, I send mine for repair and got a brand new N8 back as a replacement, not quit what I was hoping for, but it is a decent replacement even if it is difficult to compare a N900 and N8 because they are very different.

The only thing that makes me a bit angry is that they never asked me if I wanted the new N8 as an replacement they just made the switch, but I am affraid to complaine because my N900 was more than 1 year old, now my boss is worried that his will get replaced too.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

oh man! did they call you first! drastically different handsets!
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

scratch that...i guess i should have not just read, but comprehended what you wrote. :smileytongue:p
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

i never wanted to have to comment here but my N900's port vanished one day so its gone in to Vodafone for a repair. for the good of their health they'd best not try sending me a new device :-o

i did tell the guy's in the shop not to even try sending a different device seen as they said i could upgrade early and it'd be cheaper than the £25 excess on the insurance.

but just incase, who do i have to sleep with at Nokia to get an N950 :-p

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Samusz

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro-USB port getting detached

Hi all,

Once again, the USB got detached on my n900 a month ago.

Went to nokia care, got charged for data save on USB (charged for the USB key as well)...

Ten days later got a call : we can't save your data ... What do we do ?   !!!

I need it fixed so send it to nokia ... There goes my data ....pics and so on.

Got a call yesterday : nokia replaced my n900 by the E7.

I went to pick it up, as there seems to be no other solution. It is an OK hardware but I way looooved the n900 software and openness .....even if sluggish most of the time

And an other problem is I got it "naked" : no cables no charger.

Specifically the HDMI cable isn't a problem, but the USB cable I got don't fit in the e7 and I don't have an USB-on-the-go cable.

So what a disappointment all this is : 2 N900 in less than a year and half... And in the end I can't sync my gmail contacts but for ovi, can't use gpodder with I used a lot, can't edit text with vim and so on ...

I know this sounds like a desperate cry from the heart (bad translation of a French expression) but there seems to be no listening ear around in Paris.

Samusz

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Samusz wrote:

Hi all,

Once again, the USB got detached on my n900 a month ago.

Went to nokia care, got charged for data save on USB (charged for the USB key as well)...

Ten days later got a call : we can't save your data ... What do we do ?   !!!

I need it fixed so send it to nokia ... There goes my data ....pics and so on.

Got a call yesterday : nokia replaced my n900 by the E7.

I went to pick it up, as there seems to be no other solution. It is an OK hardware but I way looooved the n900 software and openness .....even if sluggish most of the time

And an other problem is I got it "naked" : no cables no charger.

Specifically the HDMI cable isn't a problem, but the USB cable I got don't fit in the e7 and I don't have an USB-on-the-go cable.

So what a disappointment all this is : 2 N900 in less than a year and half... And in the end I can't sync my gmail contacts but for ovi, can't use gpodder with I used a lot, can't edit text with vim and so on ...

I know this sounds like a desperate cry from the heart (bad translation of a French expression) but there seems to be no listening ear around in Paris.

Samusz

errrr.  i dont know why they do that.  symbian is NOT maemo.  and e7 is not an n900, just because they both have a keyboard!

they have done this a few times that i have heard of now.

they tried, in the past when i sent in a 9500, to send me an e61 for a replacement.  luckt for me they called me first.  so i declined.  s80 is not s60....especially being that the 9500 was a full media device and they wanted to replace it with a non-media device.   no camera or video.  only because it had a keyboard.  they offered a refund on the value of the device.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Samusz

Hi ceroberts75,

Could it be they don't want to deal with n900 problems any more ?

Or they don't have any left (less likely IMHO) ?

I am getting around grabbing gmail contacts but still misses lots  of data I backed up and  thought I would get back to ... saved in an miniSD card, for which no slot exists on the e7 ://

Do you believe I can get the USB cables if I yell some more  ?

Thanks for kind answer

Samusz

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

hm. i didnt know the usb wojld be different. (i do not have an e7 nor ever seen a real one)

in any case, i would definately contact customer service and inform them that you sent in a n900 and they replaced it with the e7, and the cables are different. (if they are)...and that you woild like to have them send you the apropriate cables that would have come in the retail box for the e7 as you did not purchase the e7, nor did you ask for the un-like replacement.

if that doesnt work, google who the president is for your country and send them an email stating clearly your situation, without ranting, and what you are rquesting.

the c-level wkll undoubtedly have better people skills and service to you, though it will be passed off to someone they deem will handle it.

being that it comes from the top, you should be handled the way it shouldhave been from the beginning, which would for suremake nokia much more powerful in the consumers eye.

this is what i have done 3 time now, and worked like a charm.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
L_JEFF

Hi all,

Iv just started having problems with charging my n900, when I insert the charger to phone it does nothing, if I move and hold the head of it it works intermittently, its not the charger or battery as iv checked these in another phone, I see from other posts that there problem is the USB part inside the charging port detaching, mine has not detached but does seem loose, could this be the same problem or does it look like another problem all together, if so would the warranty cover me for this, my phones 16 m0nths old??

Any advice is much appreciated!:smileywink:

Please use plain text.
calcloud

Hi all,

I experienced the problem as described in this thread and took it back to my carrier (Optus) as I had purchased an extended warranty. The phone returned unfixed with a photo of the mainboard and the following statement:

UNIT HAS BEEN ASSESSED AS BEYOND ECONOMICAL REPAIR & UNREPAIRABLE DUE TO DAMAGED & BROKEN TRACK ON THE USB CIRCUITRY PART OF THE BOARD. PLEASE SEE THE ENCLOSED PHOTOCOPY OF THE BOARD WHERE THE MARKED CIRCLE IS. RETURN HANDSET TO CUSTOMER AS UNREPAIRED.

Optus then advised me to take the phone to the Nokia care centre which I did and was advised that since it was out of the initial year warranty and Optus had touched it themselves then they weren't going to even look at it. Returned to Optus yet again and they said that if I can get a statement from Nokia saying they acknowledge the problem and would have fixed it if not touched by them they'd replace it - it seems kind of impossible to get this kind of statement. Am I boned or do I have an avenue to try and get the phone fixed/replaced somehow?

Please help!

Thanks in advance,

Cal

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

i would find out who the top CEO of your area is and send an email with this information to request the denial by nokia in writing so that you can furnish it to the carrier to get a replacement device.

i had some bad challenges with some e90's in the past, where 1 of my 9 devices, had to go back and be replaced 5 times because of faulty mics, and in order to get my software keys all redone over and over, i had nokia give me a document which stated all the said esn's listed as being replaced by nokia. it wasnt easy, but i had do go to the top to do it. just be nice and state your case un-emotional, just factual. you should be handled correctly that way.

unfortunately, nokia care, at least in the USA, has no authority which is why i did this.
Please use plain text.