Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro...

Advisor
shauser

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro-usb port getting detached

Update: more and more people having USB Mini Port troubles are getting their devices back: unrepaired, despite Nokia's statement. What is going on? The statement was released on the 17th and must clearly have reached all Care Centres by now?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pozmu

shauser, as Belgium is in UE you can just bring your phone back to the shop where you bought - the seller is responsible for stock they are selling.

BTW it's funny that even after posting such message on the forum service centers won't comply with it.... hmm, maybe "funny" is not the right worth for users affected with this problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
shauser

[ Edited ]

If it only were that easy pozmu :smileyhappy: I have purchased the device directly from Nokia.co.uk, therefore they are responsible and have to deal with the issue.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

this happend only a month ago to my n 86

Please use plain text.
Sage
tzsm98

When I first heard of this issue I became very timid about using the USB port on my N900. I used my 5800 XpressMusic for battery charging and switched out batteries as required. I used Bluetooth to transfer information.

That lasted about a week. I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to do any more "work-arounds" on this. I've been using the USB port as if this issue has never been raised. With one exception: I am very careful to make certain I have a straight-in push or pull when inserting or removing the connector from the device.

This is not to say I think those who have had their port come off were not careful. It is simply a report of what I am doing to address my concerns.

I am thankful for the 3.5mm audio port. If this had been like a Sony-Ericsson or Samsung, with the charge port acting as the headphone port and data port I'd be really worried because my headphones are in and out of the device all day long.

3390 - 6103b - 6133 - 6290 - 6301b - N78-3 - 5610d-2b XpressMusic - 5800d-1b XpressMusic, N900 RX-51, N8-00, C7 Astound, 808 Pureview, Lumia 1020.
Nicer phones and still no one calls me!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
alan_brown

the headphones in my box that come with the n900 dont work and yet nobody wonts to replace them not carephone warehouse or o2 not sure how to get on to nokia about this .

Also is there no sat nav on the n900 ? why ? its on your cheaper phones would also be good if you could get the compass app like the i phone ,

On a positive note movies are great just drop an drag straight from my laptops hard drive takes under 2 mins for a whole movie

Please use plain text.
Advisor
shauser

[ Edited ]

alan_brown, wrong thread. This is only for USB MINI Port related issues. Please check title&content before posting.

Please use plain text.
cosbas

Hi All,

I am considering buying an n900, and I have been doing some research on the problems it has. I came across the issue with the micro USB port getting detached from the PCB while just plugging out the connector cable. This is ridiculous, the n900 is not one of the cheap phones out there (even those DO NOT have this issue). Considering the micro-USB port is vital to the design of the handset (power + data), and hearing the dissatisfaction of the users so far wrt: 

a) Nokia Care Centers not servicing the faulty units (in many cases)

b) Nokia not having a clear official response addressing the design fault (perhaps changing from Surface Mounted Device to Through Hole soldering technology)

I feel buying a n900 is a mistake in my case. I like the hacking capabilities the device has to offer, but I cannot go over the fact that hardware integrity of the unit is a major issue so far and there is no official *clear* position from Nokia on this matter (at least I could not find one, if there is).

Nokia, are you going to do something about this? Soon?, If not count me out (might as well go with the iPhone even though I hate that it's a closed system, at least it doesn't fall apart and it's cheaper on contract :smileywink: )

Best

Please use plain text.
Advisor
shauser

[ Edited ]

Hello C,

Nokia as acknowledged that certain devices have troubles with the USB Mini port and have started accepting devices for repair / exchange. For me this situation is pretty much resolved (it did take a while though!) and you shouldn't have any trouble any more. It is now seen as covered by warranty.

BUT, and this is a big but, we have not yet had any confirmation whether this issue has been properly addressed for implementation in phones that are currently or soon will be in production! We don't know anything precise concerning new and more reliable ways of attaching the Mini USB port to the Mainboard of the n900., therefore there still is a risk of this matter continuing to be a problem.

As I previously stated this case is almost closed (thank god), therefore it should not keep you from buying the n900 which is - apart from a few things - a really good and reliable phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Bojan1983

I also do not know what to do about many things connected with buying this device. My problem is deeper with the fact that here we do not have official dealer for Nokia, and only one provider is connected to official store on the nokia site. So, I shall ask is there must be a EU warranty in the N900 case? I also am not sure where is this phone made? Is it in Korea? Or in Finland? "Made in Korea"sign stands by the IMEI of the N900 sold by this provider. I believe it is true because its connection to an official store. However there are stores here which offer the device "Made in FInland"... How can I check if these products are genuine also? And if they are, then are there differences between models made in Finland and made in Korea and...? And is it possible to check before if this USB port is stable on a device before purchasing?  

Please use plain text.
cosbas

Hi shauser,

Thank you for your reply. I have purchased the phone - was too tempting of a device for me not to do so :smileyhappy:. I am very happy with it aside from the potential risk that the micro usb port might still be prone to errors. If there is any news about board models and micro usb port soldering techniques for the n900 I'd be very happy to check out what the status of my n900 is. In the mean time I can say I'm very happy with it. Looking forward for a proper power management application (see Autodisconnect on maemo extras-devel) that would help with the battery power consumption. The motorola droid with a slightly higher capacity battery seems to be doing better in terms of power management, the battery was at 60% after almost 2 days of being connected to the internet via GPRS (used intermittently by the email client), while my n900 ran out of power after one day :smileyindifferent: under the same circumstances - I've noticed a significant drop in power consumption if the internet GPRS connection is not enabled (Autodisconnect promises to do just that - disconnect when not in use). 

Best,

C

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

i have been watching this issue over the maemo community.

if you would browse through it, you'll find ways on how to prevent the usb port problem. after a week or two of purchasing my n900,  i learned about the usb problem.

i certainly followed some suggestions on how to prevent it, and so far, my device is looking good.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Careful.. just because you've treated your device well and it hasn't broken doesn't mean there wasn't a manufacturering defect on a small few that causes them to break..

However, you should always treat usb plugs with caution, you're absolutely right!

Please use plain text.
Professor

Does anyone else find the usb to computer feels a bit looser than the wall charger? The wall charger gets a bit more stuck, and i have to be very careful unplugging it as i imagine that's how the port would disconnect

Please use plain text.
savagemyke

i recently encountered this problem with my n900. only bought it in feb and was extremely careful when plugging/unplugging charger. i am very disappointed with the build quality of the USB port. this is the only problem i have encountered with the n900 but it isn't exactly a small one. since my battery was flat when the problem arose, i cannot use my phone at all! i want to get it fixed asap, but will have to wait until after the bank holiday weekend. i have heard so many problems regarding repair. need assurance that this matter will be resolved!

plaese can we have some answers admins.

thank you

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kirio_357

After 4 months to plug came out. I received the message from the repair company (eurotwice) that the phone was damaged beyond repair and not covered by warranty + i had to pay another 35 euro too. I have contacted the reseller again and i am waiting still waiting (more than a month) for a reply. .
A real disappointment Nokia!! I am getting rid of my N95 8gb en my wife's 5800 too if this problems doesn't get solved. What a shame, i like(d) Nokia...
Brussels, Belgium

Please use plain text.
Contributor

My N900 is made in Hungary, at the backside of the screen, when opened, it stands 'designed in Finland'. I'm not aware if any of the units are made in Finland.

iMax
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Samusz

Hi all.

I am also experiencing this defect. Had the phone since Xmas, so about 4 months to breakdown. What a shame. I have been carefull, like a normal user would !

And a few days ago no more charging up from the wall nor the usb cable... ran out of battery but did a last save on the memory card, hope it will be usefull 

I had quite an hard time finding a nokia care center, even in Paris :// info hard to find on the nokia wedsite

Now I have to wait for 2 weeks to see if I am charged 160 € or not, as it might not be taken care by the warranty, the care center says ! Argg I do hope not.

I'll keep you guys posted on this issue

Please use plain text.
Professor
theking2

Can some moderator close this thread? It is getting embarrassing for Nokia and it's custom.

No offence, but if a product or device is faulty take it to your local supplier, produce the receipt and get a replacement. Basics of customer protecting.

No need to fill discussion boards.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

I don't think there's any need to close this thread. In general we don't really close threads (many people always think that means we have something to hide) unless they have become totally off-topic.

I can't help with individual repair cases via this forum, that's what the Nokia Care numbers are for. As a rule, the USB should be fixed under warranty, but of course any broken device is inspected individually. All Care points should have detailed instructions from Nokia about this.

The general policy is that if you are not happy with the service that you have been getting from an authorized Nokia Care point, call Nokia Care in your country (number is on your local website -> Support -> Contact us or start from www.nokia.com/customerservice )

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.