Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro...

Counsellor
blackbagz

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro-usb port getting detached

Cherry, if it was anything like my experience, your device won't get fixed instead they will just give you a replacement or refurbished one. to make me feel better they put the back casing of my original device onto the new one! how strange and concerning is that??

Like i mentioned earlier in this thread, my problem was not solved but sidelined for a future date when this replacement's usb decides to pop. if under 12 months i'll bring it back but will more than likely get a different one not mine.

fully suggest you create regular backups and backup your music, video and image content off your hdd too...ssuming you haven't already handed it in!!

Bagz Rules :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
dmop

[ Edited ]

Dear administer

hi , this is my first participate on this site

i have problem with my nokia n900 mobile ,the problem is i can't copy and paste any file from the mobile to the pc : images,songs,videos,etc  it is on mass stoage mode , and the pc show the n900 memory is empty and memory card the same  too  so what is i gonna do???

thank you

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nine11truth

Hi all, I too have suffered this problem. micro usb completely deteached when disconnecting after charging... Could an admin or someone who actually knows their stuff please please help!? had handset for just comming up to 10 months purchased through carphone warehouse UK on a voda contract.

I took the N900 into nokia care centre/carphone warehouse on 30/11/10 and they said there inhouse engineer was off till 14th dec 10 and therefore it would be sent direct to nokia (lie)

They said it would take upto 28 days... fair enough I thought....

Checks carphone warehouses online repair tracker to be told this is a "serious fault" and cannot be repaired! after over 100 mins on the phone I get told some **bleep** and bull story how the phone is suffered from condensation damage! and this is perfectly natural on ALL phones and is a non warranty repair..

After many many times asking about the recognised fault of the usb port (which they deny) they say not thier problem and offer me a 10% discount off a new handset!!!!

So is there anything I can do please PLEASE????

Ten month old handset within warranty, I can say 100% there is no "condensation" damage or otherwise except for the usb port.... After googling its apparent this is a common line carephone warehouse pull to avoid $$$$$$$

I always try to look after my phones as they are soooo expensive and learnt from my mistakes long time ago..

All I want is a repair or replacement if cannot be fixed.. fair is fair???? I really love the n900 really really nice phone prefer over any iphone anyday but this is really putting me off nokia, I was just about to go out and purchase a sim free N8 but know I have real doubts...

Please help!!!

thankyou

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

Hi nine11truth,

there's two options I can think of - you can call Nokia Care in the UK (http://www.nokia.co.uk/support/contact-us) and ask to make a complaint about your repair, or you can email us your full contact details to (support.discussions@nokia.com) so we can then forward this to Nokia UK.

The first method may be a bit faster, both methods should get you in contact with the same people at Nokia UK who will then look into this.

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lemonorange

[ Edited ]

Hi Nine11ruth......

Our stories are almost IDENTICAL!

I took out a contract via Nokia Retail Store in March 2010 and a Nokia N900. I had to send the phone in for repair once (July) as screen would not turn on. This was under warrenty.

Approx 1 month ago I went to charge the phone and saw it was not charging....I removed the charger and then noticed the USB from the phone had come out/broken away!

Like you, I took it to Carphonewarehouse who told me that it was a known problem (wrote this on their sheet) and the engineer could probably have it done in 24 hours, under warrenty.

I did the online tracker at CPW 2 days later and it said that my N900 was going to the "Central Repair Centre" and this would take another 10 days. Then I got another message to say its going direct to "Nokia" and this would take 28 days!

I logged in last week to CPW tracker and got

We've tried our very best to fix your device but, unfortunately as it has a serious fault we were unable to repair it and regrettably the fault is not covered by the manufacturers warranty. Please check your options if you are covered elsewhere or speak to our instore consultant to see if you are eligible for a subsidised upgrade with us. We could also provide you with up to 10% discount to buy a replacement device.
I was pretty shocked and annoyed at this so I emailed Nokia Care Uk (who I will add were very quick in replying)
They wanted the IMEI number and other details so I emailed them back to say that my N900 is still at the Carphonewarehouse and that I would be collecting it today (I did)
When I got to the Carphonewarehouse today I was presented with my N900 in a ziplock bag. "Beyond Economical Repair" was the words spoken to me....and she gave me a photocopy of the form stating this.
Also in the bag was a folded A4 paper/photo of my device with the words "Physical Damage charger con broken off"
Ive emailed Nokia Care tonight with all the details that they asked, but all I will say is this....
I find it very strange that 2 people (not to mention the 100s of other cases on the Internet) are having exactly the same problem with the same device and have been given the same reason by Carphonewarehouse i.e Serious Fault etc
Let me know how you get on.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lemonorange

Sorry about the poor quality images...Im using a cheap handset (which I purchased) was not offered a "loan phone"

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nine11truth

Hi Lemon, yup its pretty coincidental isnt it... shockingly dire support from CPW all round, disgusting how they thing they can do this?? although have a think just how many people have walked away and thought it wasnt worth the bother other in fact believed CPW pathetic attempts at getting out of doing their jobs!.

I past another carphone warehouse shop yesterday and went in just in the off chance of meeting a human being capable of telling the truth! The guy had in his hands a,..... N900! (his own) soon as I mentioned a fault with the same hand set he said micro usb, before I had the chance to tell him.. even said one had been brought into the store that morning for the same reason!

I will be visiting the store in parker street liverpool, see if they think they can keep up with the BS.. shame there is CCTV in there.. would shove it up their backsides... sideways.

How the hell did nokia get involved with these scam artists??

Opposite the store I went into yesterday their was a mobile phone repair shop, kind that sells phones n bits n bobs n repairs... £35 quid and come back in a few hours, explained exactly the problem he said he has seen and replaced many a time..

So a multi million £££££ retail group with 3rd part nokia certs, repair centres etc etc VS an independant small phone shop..  says it all dont it..

Oh well I try the "phone not fit for its purpose" sales of goods act and just tell em to get it sorted.. will be making a quick phone call to nokia uk as well...

Will let you know how I get on.. if I dont reply it means i am in a cell and the numpty in the shop is in hospital and having an n900 removed from his rectum..

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nine11truth

well I went to the store.. handset was in a worse state than when I handed it in for repair.. screen scratched, the little metal sim card holder thingy is missing as well as the stylus! plus ALL the screws look untouched apart from one which looks like a bread knife has been used to unscrew.. all the plastic is scraped...

The only proof they gave of mystical condensation damage is a blurry out of focus PCB board of some sort.. could be off a wind up radio for all its identifiable by.. So I asks the "consultant" if he has any other handsets available to charge MY battery with, but doesnt seem to grasp the idea that batteries can fit multiple handsets besides the n900, assistant manager who has a brain got a c63 or summit and charged my battery.. went out for a smoke and came back in, I put the battery in switched on and....... works perfect..

They offered to send back, I mentioned how they fabucked it once and not having  a second chance at ballsing it up completely.. so I purchased a cheap mains battery charger and took it home.. still works just fine..

Went over the other CPW shop opposite ( three CPW shops in liverpool city centre) where the engineer is told them and even they said yep usb is a free repair or replace, so going to take it there next week when the engineer is back off his hols...

Someone at nokia REALLY needs to get onto these cowboys and sort it out.. this isnt a toy from pound land or a disposible camera.. Its a supposed to be a FOUR HUNDRED POUND odd top end premium phone. Whaver your paying per repair to them is too much! I am guessing its thier infrastructure that gets them the deal.. nokia should switch to courier only option..

I did ring nokia this morning, I will have to ring back as I didnt have IMEI number to hand.

All round **bleep** poor "repair" service, but then again if Nokia managed to make a decent handset that didnt have the build quality of a caburys cream egg, I wouldnt of had to go there in the first place! I have an old 8910I and a silver 8800 in the drawer, thats when nokias where proper nokias, not these tin pot mickey mouse tat they give away in lucky bags they have these days...

When the n900 gets fixed or replaced, some mug can pay 200 quid for it then ill go and buy a decent handset, maybe theres a reason 9 out of 10 people who chat into a phone are all usin an Iphone or blackberry.. Id advise anyone with a "premium" N series to do the same.. Didnt the full size n97 have problems too, and the n95 8 gig? I used to have a samsung omnia 2, wish I had kept it now.. even with windows mobile on it.. still waay better than the n900doorwedge

I wont go into the fact the firmware is a load of poo and how many times i have had to reflashed it..

what happened to decent nokias?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lemonorange

Seens a right palava Nine11ruth.

I got this email from Nokia Care today

*******************************************************************************************************

In response to your enquiry, we will forward your message to our Escalations Team so that you will be able to receive accurate information regarding the repair of your Nokia N900. You will be contacted as soon as possible once a resolution for your concern has been established.

*******************************************************************************************************

I was working all day and was left a Voicemail from Nokia Escalations (sounded a very nice lady) asking me to call her back (which ill do tomorrow)

Has anyone any experiance of the escalations team?

I though the norm would be for them to send me a UPS  shipping label and get the phone looked at again?

This escalations process worries me as Im expecting them to "let me down gently" and say that "nothing can be done" in a nice way. Could it be tho that escalations have the power to issue replacement handsets??

Despita all the hassle I have been impressed with the Speed and courteous replies from Nokia,

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nine11truth

Thats the same dept. I got through to as well. Normal customer services is dire, females grasp of English was erm.. lol, I am using SAYNOTO0870 website to get landline numbers, paid out enough becuase of duff handsets and even duffer support..

for carphone warehouse landline number alternatives

http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

Lots of numbers for nokia!  even some free phone 0800's

http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

Post up what happens to you please mate, ill do the same!

Good luck

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lemonorange

[ Edited ]

nine11truth, just off of the phone with Nokia Care.

I explained my situation.

The lady noted that the phone was in for repair in June (it was due to screen not switching on)

She asked was I aware of the existing water damage and that this was discovered by engineers in JUNE and because as a result of this the warrenty is now null and void (hence why my phone cannot be repaired this time)

I find it very "confusing" as in JUNE the phone was returned to me under warrenty REPAIRED....with a new screen. I asked her why, if water damage was discovered in June (and the warrenty voided) was the screen repaired and sent back to me?

She said maybe it was discovered after it was sent back to me??! :smileymad:

Anyway it is being collected on Monday by UPS for someone to have another look, but I was advised 3 times that if evidence of water damage is found then I wont be getting a repair.

The girl was very nice on the phone but I finding this all very strange and confusing but am going to pursue this as it seems water damage is being used as a get out clause.

Please use plain text.
vandelay

Hi lemonorange and nine11truth,

I took the liberty of sending this thread with your contact details to Nokia UK, and they are now looking into this.

You may be contacted by email by another team than the regular Nokia UK Care contact center, so I hope this doesn't get too confusing.

There's not much more we in the forum team can do, I hope everything gets sorted out properly from now on.

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lemonorange

Vandelay,

Thanks for this.

Not sure about "nine11truth" but my query is with Nokia Escalations Uk Team at the moment.

Thanks for your post.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nine11truth

Hi Vandelay, thankyou for taking time to do that, could I ask you, in your opinion this cant be the first time these issues have cropped up can they? Its just unbelievable how these people treat customers and think they are in the right all the time, I quoted the sales of goods act 2002 until blue in the face and still they wouldnt have none of it... disgusting..

I know every product regardless of what it is, either phone or car or tv or whatever has its faults but the support of these products tends to pretty straightforward, a few years ago I purchased a logitech mouse, it was a corded lazer gaming jobby I emailed them for repair, they asked for serial numbers etc to prove still in warranty, they then asked for me to cut the cord and email proof via photo.. they then sent out the latest model cordless mouse which was circa 40-50 pound more expensive than my broken one.. all in a few days.. in fact ive done this a fair few times over the years with pc stuff, irons! and few other household items..

Nokia cant be so broke they have to nit pick every single repair and use the old water damage scam..

Instances like this just takes the buscuit out of every single paying customer of nokias.. How comes iphone simply replace the handsets, even for batteries! whole situation reminds me of motorola!

thankyou

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lx_sylar_xl

I've always been a big Nokia fan for as long as i can remember. I love Nokia's and hated iPhone's with a passion. But lately my mind has been beginning to change. I will give Nokia one more chance and wait for the Meego based phones. Pick up your game Nokia or you will lose a lot of fans...including this one.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
liquidtom

You could also buy a spare battery and a desktop charger.  Last year I got my girlfriend a 5800 Xpress music with a spare battery and a charger from Amazon.  The charger is made by Fosman.  While the cradle portion won't fit your N900, the spare battery portion works on BL-5J battery they both use.  I bought her a new C6 this year (she wanted a real keyboard) and the spare battery portion works on the BL-4J too.

Does not help with data transfers although you could remove the micro sd storage, put it in a holder and attach it to your PC that way. 

Please use plain text.
veraptor

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro-USB port getting detached

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem: the USB socket detached from the motherboard, taking the copper plates from PCB with it.

Living and having bought the phone in Germany, I found my experience with Nokia Care very frustrating. Two 'authorized' service points in Dresden denied the repair, saying that the device is not reparable and that the warranty doesn't apply as this is a "mechanical damage". After that, I spent hours on the phone with Nokia Care call center, trying to get a solution. Several call managers have dismissed me, repeating the words about "mechanical damage" and hence no warranty coverage. After I finally told one of them that there are lots of angry people the web with the same problem, and that the USB failure is a result of a recognized design fault, the call manager scheduled me a callback from the Special Solution Team (what a name!) that potentially could have helped me. Having waited for three days, I got a call from a SST member, who, told me in a very arrogant voice that if two 'authorized' service centers declined the repair, they must have been right and this is indeed a "mechanical damage" and not a warranty case.

Having called again to Nokia Care to file a complaint, if finally turned out that the Complaint team was the only one aware of the situation. They told me that there's a service bulletin from Nokia detailing the USB problem, but it (SOMEHOW???) was distributed only to 3rd level service centers, of which there's only one in Germany. And that the ordinary - 2nd level - service points have not received this bulletin. Neither the call managers of the Nokia Care of Special Solution team, so it seems. So I called the 3rd level service center directky and they finally told me I that I shall send them the phone and they will service it.

Bottomline:

-Nokia bureaucracy is sluggish, and it failed to inform the support about the case of detaching N900 USB. This leads to the crowd of frustrated customers who get harassed and  dismissed by the support managers.

-If you are one of them, whilst talking to Care maintain that this is a recognized design fault and that there's a corporate bulletin detailing it. And if they don't know it, it's their fault.

Please use plain text.
vandelay

Hi veraptor,

and welcome to the forum!

I'm glad to hear that you eventually got this solved and hope that you get your N900 back soon. I have sent your post as feedback to Nokia management in Germany.

Please use plain text.
veraptor

Hi vandelay,

Thanks for that! Hope that it encourages the German branch to inform their employees properly. Howerer, from what I read around the web, there seems to be a systemic problem in the company, where, so to say, one arm doesn't know that the other is doing. Hopefully Nokia overcomes it at some point!

Please use plain text.
vandelay

A post about the Nokia 6700 has been moved to the Phones-section.

Please use plain text.