Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro...

Registered Member
grunny

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro-USB port getting detached

In the Netherlands, I had a similar experience: even though Nokia has publically acknowledged this problem, it took me no less than 80 days to get a replacement for my Nokia N900. At first, I was blamed for causing the broken micro USB connector myself and then it took me many, many, many phone calls, visits to the store and angry letters to finally get the service I was entitled to. 

One would say that a problem that has been officially acknowledged by Nokia in February 2010 would be known in all branches of the company and its repair services by now...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
valahian

I have the same problem with micro usb getting detached.After all can  this issue be fixed in a Nokia Center?Will the device be rapaired or will be getting other problems?Who is deserving the blame in  damaging device in Nokia Center?Searching the web nobody tells about a solution solving the problem without a paid replacement.Please i appreciate an urgent answer.Thanks in advanced!

VALAHIANSS
Please use plain text.
max0op

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro-usb port getting detached

Dear Nokia Users!
I’m having some problems understanding Nokia “WARANTY REPAIR CONDITIONS”! In fact, I don’t understand on what grounds Nokia decides that some product failure (although the product is under warranty) is not something under their damage liability.

My USB broke six months ago, it just remained stucked on charger. I took my N900 to authorized Nokia service, and two weeks later they returned my phone unrepaired because:

Paragraph 2. of Nokia Limited Warranty says that, repair of this failure is not covered by warranty  .

By Limited warranty, this failure is result of a) normal wear and tear, b) and c) defect caused by rough handling or damage caused by misuse of the Product, including use that is contrary to the instructions provided by Nokia and/or e) other acts beyond the reasonable control of Nokia.'

I was thinking about these terms and this are my points of view:

a) normal wear and tear - I hope that responsible company as Nokia does not consider this failure as normal wear and tear, so I don’t think that this is the reason.
b) and c) misuse of the Product, including use that is contrary to the instructions provided by Nokia - so, I took N900 User manuals (in English, German, Italian and Croatian), to see if there are some special instructions for plugging the USB cable or charger... i was expecting something like exact plugging force, or some special plugging angle... but nothing special there. So this is also not the reason.
d) acts beyond the reasonable control of Nokia - well, then this must be the reason! Some special higher force came one night and ripped my USB port off with pneumatic hammer!

Since I'm not believer, I decided to ask for an additional explanation. First place where I was trying to get some explanation was authorized Nokia service.

I called them, they sad that they'll check and call me back, nothing for two weeks, I was also sending e-mails... you know how it goes ... finally they told me I should call Nokia and check with them why my warranty is denied.

OK, calling Nokia care (the only available Nokia phone number). Explained them what is the problem, that service refer me to call them and that I'm looking for some additional explanation why is my warranty denied.

Shortly, they can't tell me, they don’t have that information, they can't give me any other number to call because they don’t have one, and they are here if users have problem with their device usage and I should contact the service again. So it seems that since my phone only port is broken and I can't use it, I don't have device usage problem and I'm not under Nokia care supervision.

Back to service. Well, they can't tell me why my warranty is denied because they just disassemble the phone and take a photos and then send them to Nokia to decide is a repairmen covered or not by warranty, with polite remark that this is a very sophisticated phone that requires careful and gentile treating... Yes, of course, I'm 28 and I didn't have cell phone till now, actually I haven't seen one in life!

Asked if they can refer me whom to ask next, they don't know. So can you give me the e-mail that you are sending photos to? Nope. Should call Nokia care for that. Hahahaha. Back to Nokia care.

And so, little by little, back and forth, passed six months and also a year since I have bought my phone, so warranty has expired, and I still don't know what is the reason of phone failure and warranty denial.

So, if anyone can answer me, here are the service photos of my phone.

To bad, an excellent phone from once serious Company.
Never, never Nokia again.

Please use plain text.
Hypebeasy

I have this problem for like 2 month and has still not resolved, I live in New Zealand its parallel imported from Malaysia, New Zealand so not sell this phone. I wish New Zealand Nokia Care would either help me replace or repair it free of charge, well this is pretty dam impossible.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sidwahi

Dear Juha-Matti Heikkinen ,

I bought the phone from USA . I am currently in Canada on a project had contacted Nokia USA in June 2010 as my n900 was effected by the USB port issue , they said that it wont be fixed under warranty.

I am still unable to use my phone & paid $900 for it .I think this is very bad on Nokia's part , as it's a know issue.

I have called Nokia USA many time with no help at all  . I guess this will be my last Nokia phone I ever bought.

Thanks for your time

Sid
PS : I never sent the device for repair as they said it wont be covered.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sidwahi

[ Edited ]

Please see the below repair info I had submitted. 

On Mon, 6/21/10, noreply.us-repairsupport@nokia.com <noreply.us-repairsupport@nokia.com> wrote:

From: noreply.us-repairsupport@nokia.com <noreply.us-repairsupport@nokia.com>
Subject: Nokia Repair Status Information
To: Sidwahi1@yahoo.com
Date: Monday, June 21, 2010, 3:12 PM

Ref: Serial Number:

Dear Sidharth,

Your device, serial number, has been updated with the following status:

We are currently awaiting receipt of your device into our repair center. Please check with your shipping vendor to determine the location of your device. Once the device is delivered to the repair center, please allow for a 1-2 day processing time for your device to show as "Received" in our system.

Thank you very much for being a valued Nokia Customer!

Sincerely, Nokia Customer Care

Moderator Note: Personal details removed. We kindly ask you not to share your phone's IMEI number publicly on this forum.
Please use plain text.
georgian900

hi,

i was just wondering if you have had any outcome?

my charging port and usb have stopped working i took it to carphone warehouse and they sent it off for repair....when it come back they have told me it is liquid ingress(water damage) or condensation!!!

i know or a fact i have looked after my phone and it has definatly not been water damaged!

i was just wondering if you could help me??

Please use plain text.
georgian900

[ Edited ]

hi,

ive got the same problem my phone wont charge at all! my battery is fine as my partner had to charge my battery in her phone as she has the same phone to then swap the batteries over!!

ive tried both mine and my partners charger in my phone and it still wont work, neither will it connect to my computer.

as my phone is from carphone warehouse i took it back for repair explaining exactly what was wrong, 2 weeks later i pick my phone up and they have tried to tell me it has liquid ingress(water damage)!! its not a cheap phone to have and i know for a fact i have looked after it and have definatly not got it wet so i cant understand where the 'water damage' has come from!!

carphone warehouse have told me its irrepairable!! so was going to just give up but after seeing all these comments from people with the same issue has now made me think twice!!

can anyone shed any light on this?has anyone else been fobbed off with the same/similar excuse??

Moderator note - We have moved this post to this thread where it was more appropriate, and amended the subject in line with the new thread.

Please use plain text.
Hypebeasy

[ Edited ]

Looking at the E7, not a bad phone... Wanted to buy it but then it is Nokia. I dunno what kind of **bleep** i will be getting into so i guess get back to Iphone. At least they admit the faults and never delay repairs if UNDER WARRANTY. 

I guess this is goodbye Nokia i lost total faith in you guys

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Laurax

Carphone warehouse said the exact same thing to me! This is the second time its happened to my phone, first time they replaced it for free as it was "manufacturing fault" but this time it's apparently my fault. I went and got it back today from carphone and it's even more broken now! Nokia have damaged the keyboard. Poor quality of service.

Please use plain text.
blasterman

Was on my THIRD n900. Less than one year!!! Went from nokia to blackberry for their bold to the n900 for the type of phone it is and its capabilities as well as future ones (im old and grey, first phone ever, motorola, next, nokia till the bold came out. thats alot of phones). After breaking my third port. Must be the gods at work again. No luck for repair or return. Nada. A new paper weight. Well, after all this bs with the flip flopping - n9 - n950, meego, micro lost. Nokia has and lost a valued customer. Our multinational company needed an upgrade for our management in various regions. After the memo hit my desk, Nokia was off the list. Supprisingly, another competator, with paper trail. fully backs and warranties there product for the amout of phones we needed for this corp. If nokia had taken better care of their customers rather than their stakeholders.....in my business, it is our customers who are our stakeholders. And yes, this was my personal phone, not my company one. Anyways, done ranting. Just another company taking their business esle where.

Please use plain text.
Hypebeasy

I guess every1 has learnt there lesson. Just dont buy Nokia devices, if it breaks then good luck trying to get it repair.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Max01

What is the contact details to reach nokia for warranty cover in Australia, because my USB port is detached and I can't charge my n900 battery. I tried to look for contacts details but there are none in Australia. I really need to get it fixed because I've only had it for 5 months and if it doesn't get fixed then it's just a waste of $600. Please reply ASAP. Thankyou.

Please use plain text.
Employee
jazkat

Hi Max01, you can contact the Nokia Australia Careline on 1300 366 733 (AET, 7 days) or visit one of our Care Centres (www.nokia.com.au/carecentres).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
more6384

hi i have an idea nokia should
now launch a phone called nokia
gamingx in this all features are
supported and it should have
java and symbian both and
buletooth v2.6 new symbian
which is in n8 and it should
have low price so can every
people can buy it ok plz do it so
Please use plain text.
Contributor

What course of action is there for those of us in the USA who only have a 1 year warranty and that 1 year warranty is expired?
Please use plain text.
Glue

I just thought you might want to know thar Car Phone Warehouse is still up to their old tricks and their customer service is still as shockingly bad as it ever was. I, like many of you have come to this thread searching desparately for a solution to my broken USB socket. One morning last month, after charging it overnight (as i had to do every night due to woefully inadequate battery duration) i found it to be dead, i unplugged it and plugged it back in then it started charging .. for about three seconds then stopped .. to cut a long story short i found that the USB socket had worked itself loose. Fortunately, it's still under warranty so i took it back to CPW who did their thing and away iy went to their repair centre ... aparrnetly. 2 weeks pass and I get a message saying that it cannot be repaired due to a major fault. (loose USB socket a major fault??? someone's having a laugh i'd understand if it was a blown chip or something but surely a kid with a soldering iron could sort something like that out??) so anyway i get back to the shop and they give me some old flannel about it being caused by moisture damage and so is not covered by warranty. I'm just gutted that i didn't come here first though i'm not sure what good it would have done. So i now have a Nokia N900 doorstop which i can't even power on in order to back anything up.

The question I ask people now is this: How successful are we on average at getting Nokia to actually repair these dodgy phones with their dodgy sockets which are initially said to be caused by moisture damage?

Oh and one other thing, is it even possible for tiny amounts of water to break a metal usb socket? Or are they made of chocolate?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

Hi Glue, and welcome to the forum! Please email us at support.discussions@nokia.com with all details and we'll forward them to Nokia Care in the UK. They can then contact you and look into this.

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
pseudonym404

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same problem, usb socket has been temperamental for a couple of months now, and it finally completely stopped working about a week ago. Finally plucked up the courage to take a soldering iron to it, and apart from a very minor melting mishap with the plastic support bracket (not much thankfully), my n900 was back up and running - for about two days. It's now come away from the board again, and I think I need to admit I'm just not good enough to fix a poor design decision by hand. :smileywink:

I've had the device for 16 months now (on an 18 month contract), what are my chances of getting a repair/replacement?

edit: probably won't make a difference, but it's particularly annoying as I was over half way through porting the game 'Homeworld' to the N900.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

pseudonym404 wrote:

I've had the device for 16 months now (on an 18 month contract), what are my chances of getting a repair/replacement?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I'd suggest that you visit a Nokia Care point and discuss this with the engineers there. Standard warranty should cover the USB port in most cases, but the warranty time varies from 12 months to 24 months in different countries - and I am afraid that using the soldering iron may have invalidated any possible warranty.

So start from http://europe.nokia.com/support/repair-and-recycle/repair/care-points to find a location close to you. I hope you'll get your N900 fixed.

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.