Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro-usb...

Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro-usb port getting detached

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

we have just received the following statement from Nokia regarding the micro-USB port of the Nokia N900:

---------------------------

We are aware of reports that under certain conditions, the micro-USB port of a very limited amount of Nokia N900 devices can be detached. Product quality is of utmost importance to Nokia and we are investigating this issue further. Consumers who experience this issue should contact their local Nokia customer care. The same warranty applies to the Nokia N900 as with any other Nokia device. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

---------------------------

To find contact details of authorized Nokia Care points globally, please visit

www.nokia.com/repair

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro-usb port getting detached

[ Edited ]

If anyone from Nokia wants to contact me on this, I will be glad to act as interface between the company and the N900 users reporting this failure.

Randall Arnold

maemo.org community council

texrat at ovi dot com

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com

Please use plain text.
vandelay

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the offer Randall,

but I am quite sure Nokia Care prefers direct contacts. Please use your maemo.org contacts to proceed.

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Advisor
shauser

Hey there,

I am in Belgium and have the USB Port issue - on Tuesday I was refused service / exchange at the Nokia Care Centre here in Brussels, I'd like to know how to proceed now? Will I have to wait until Nokia has finished their investigation and has passed on the decision to all care centres?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

As a council representative, *I* am the maemo.org contact.  I was hoping to find the best Nokia contact and assumed this forum, regardless how narrow its purpose, would suffice.  Sorry for the error.  I will try other channels.

Randall

Please use plain text.
Advisor
shauser

Would someone who has sufficient information about this matter please respond to my previous post (just 2 posts above this one) and give me a clue about how to proceed? I am sitting at my desk with a lonely, dysfunctional N900 in front of me, not able to do anything. 

Regards,

Hauser

Please use plain text.
Advisor
shauser

I am not sure whether I am getting ignored on this or not, but I would very much appreciate if someone would finally comment and help me proceed in this issue.

Please use plain text.
vandelay

Sorry about the wait shauser - all I can suggest is that you can try to get a second opinion from another Nokia Care point or you can call Nokia Care in Belgium (www.nokia.be -> Support -> Contact Us) to ask for advice and, if needed, complain about not getting this repaired under warranty.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

With respect to Nokia's acknowledgment statement about this issue, I am very curious to know how they define "under certain conditions" and "very limited number."  Nokia qualified the issue as occuring "under certain conditions" and they qualified the incidence as "very limited."  Those are very broad statements that would control Nokia's exposure to warranty claims by specifically avoiding an admission that there is a hardware design issue at the root of this.  Comments?

Please use plain text.
Arrancamos

My Cellphone was bought in nokia usa, don't know if You Nokia Europe are connected to them, it suppose your are the same brand, anyway would like know if you will honor your warranty because of this fragile design on micro-usb female port. Regard.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
shauser

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your answer vandelay. In regards to getting in a second opinion, first of all there is only one repair centre near my location, and second of all I do not see the point of getting a second opinion in if Nokia hasn't passed out the word that the USB Port flaws have been acknowledged and that they should be covered by the warranty - the Repair centres will simply give me back my device without doing anything since Nokia hasn't given them updated instructions on how to proceed.

Also, my USB Port looks like I have "deliberately" ripped it off, so any engineer will refuse it and tell me the same unless Nokia gives out updates on the situation. I am really bewildered (and slowly getting really annoyed with this) by Nokia's approach: releasing a first statement that they are aware of the issue simply to avoid any resulting "**bleep**storm" is a poor tactic.

I sincerely hope that Nokia will soon clarify this issue and ensure that customers who have troubles with their USB Mini Ports get their devices exchanged/repaired ASAP. More details on the warranty only applicable "under certain conditions" are also needed.

This is my first Nokia device (coming from SonyEricsson), it has been a trip with more downs than ups so far, and the current situation is making me more angry and frustrated by the day, pushing me further away from buying another Nokia device ever again.

For the time being I will send Nokia.be an email (I have contaced nokia.co.uk where I bought the device almost a week ago: still awaiting reply, despite claims that a response will reach me 'within 48 Hours '.) and bring it to their attention. At the moment I do not think the Care Centres are at fault. I do believe that it's Nokia who still hasn't decided how to proceed and hasn't given out any instructions to the Repair Centres yet.

Regards,

shauser

Please use plain text.
vandelay

Hi all,

we have just received additional information from Nokia that a detached N900 usb connector should be covered and fixed under warranty.

It may take a few days for this information to reach all Nokia Care points. Apparently there has been some confusion until now in some countries but this policy should make it clear.

Warranty rules differ around the world, but in the European Union, the warranty is valid for two years after the purchase of a Nokia device. Read more about the European warranty at
http://europe.nokia.com/support/repair-and-recycle/repair/warranty

Most local Nokia websites also show the local warranty terms.

Naturally, normal warranty rules apply - so if your device was bought from another region or country, check if the warranty is valid in your home country. If not, call Nokia Care or visit your nearest Nokia Care point to find out what your options are.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Just spoke to nokia care in sweden, no new information regarding this issue yet.

I will wait yet some days and check again. My mobile has been stuck in a repair center since 4 weeks waiting for any way to solve this. They want 350 sek to give me my mobile back unrepaired or they will throw it away.

I had 3 weeks of using my expensive gadget before it broke.

Maybe this is what "connecting people" means. I got in contact with a lot of angry nokia users this way...

Please use plain text.

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro-USB port getting detached

Hi!

I am greatful that this issue is heard.

I haven't experience anything bad on my n900 but I am a bit worried.

If only a "very limited" nokia n900 devices is affected by the microUSB issue, how do we, that have the n900 for less than a month, will know that our n900's are included or not in the devices which have a problem in the microUSB port?

For now, I handle my device with extra care specially concerning with this issue.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
haytona

Hi Vandelay,

I have just had my N900 returned (unrepaired) for the second time, and am totally fed up with Nokia. The people I have spoken to in Nokia care so far have been useless, and totally unhelpful.

Do you have a contact name of someone in Nokia (preferably UK)  I can speak to, or a link to the official statement that says the USB connector is covered, and should be fixed under warranty?

Regards,

Andy

Please use plain text.
Arrancamos

[ Edited ]

Please NOKIA HeadQuarter, Managing Directors, PL and so on......

Spread your message to all Nokia Support staff all around the world as soon as possible.

Send a corporate statement about this to let them know what to say and how to fix this issue properly and in time.

TIA

Please use plain text.
Advisor
shauser

I am also fearing that nothing has happened - Nokia, now is the time to keep your promise!

Please use plain text.
vandelay

Arrancamos wrote:

Please NOKIA HeadQuarter, Managing Directors, PL and so on......

Spread your message to all Nokia Support staff all around the world as soon as possible.

Send a corporate statement about this to let them know what to say and how to fix this issue properly and in time.

TIA

Hi Arrancamos,

to my understanding this is exactly what is happening.

If you have any problems with your local Nokia Care point (service center), please call Nokia Care in your country (go to your local Nokia website -> Support -> Contact Us) and ask for advice on how to proceed.

Please use plain text.
Arrancamos

Thank You very much  Administrator for your reply.

I live in Perú... A week ago My phone was sent to NokiaUSA where my local reseller get it. He knows about the process to follow.

Just want assure NokiaUSA are able to address the issue correctly and hope they dont send back my phone with no solution because lack of communication.

All this is more expensive to me than a regular customer with a local store around.

Please use plain text.
gthau

You can always give them the URL for this discussion -

/t5/Maemo-Devices/Nokia-responds-to-reports-about-the-N900-micro-usb-port-getting/td-p/629019#

I know this is only a 'forum', but being hosted by nokia.com and having a nokia representative posting in it has to carry some weight, I would have thought.  I wouldn't expect it to satisfy them on the spot, but it should at least motivate them to pose an escalation question to higher ups for any updated policy notices regarding this issue.

@nyback - holding your phone to ransom for 350 SEK would almost be illegal here in Australia; did you sign anything accepting that kind of cost when you put it in for repair? Sounds very poor, IMHO. A hardware fault for a 3 week old phone is terrible to blame on wear-and-tear.  :smileysad:

Please use plain text.